Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's Your Favorite Bassist?

Rinton

Here's one I'm sure you've all seen before.

Standard oppinion poll.

For me, my first memory of a bassist is of being like..... 6 or 7 and hearing Red Hot Chili Peppers. I immediately became obsessed with ELECTRIC GUITAR upon hearing flea play, not knowing the difference between a bass and an electric guitar. I played guitar for about 6 years..... and upon rediscovering flea I figured out the mistake I had made and laughed for a good 5 minutes over it.

I kept with guitar until my bassist friend showed me a song called "Me And My Bass Guitar." Victor Wooten became my new god.

Vic made me buy my first bass and has been something of an Idol ever since :)

I love guys like Larry Graham and Bootsy, but I always come back to Vic or Flea as my biggest influences and ultimate favs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by getz76:

Me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You too?

As always... :D

My favorite bassists are Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, I have always enjoyed their music, it wasn't until I started playing bass that I really started appreciating how great his bass lines are.

I love Jaco Pastorius but then again who doesn't. I just sit in amazment every time I listen to him.

I also really like Nick Oliveri of Queens of the Stone Age. I know that most of his basslines arn't mind-boggling but he knows where to add some grooves and when to keep the low end. I really like the distortion he uses, It goes well with the bands sound. He is a great bassplayer, I enjoy his stuff.

And last but not least I like Les Claypool. He has some insane basslines. One of my favorite basslines of all time is "Jerry was a Racecar Driver" I fell in love with that bassline the moment I heard it.

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

Hard to name just one, but I have to go with Chris Squire just on originality in his time.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

The one's that got me to pick up a bass in the first place, and still listen to years later on a regular basis.

Geezer, John Paul Jones, Lemmy, John Entwistle, Chris Squire.

Though I have to admit sometimes they make me feel like I should put down the bass and start playing a muffled triangle in a closet.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Most of us have many favorites. I'll name two.

Chris Hillman of The Byrds. He was a key inspiration because of his mix of moving parts that helped keep the rhythm in place. And he fit those nicely moving parts in with Roger McGuinn's 12-string, David Crosby's incredibly-under-rated rhythm playing, and a full slate of vocal harmony. I have many fav songs, buy listen to the alternating patterns he uses in "So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star" - he goes about half way through a verse and switches to the other pattern - both of which are kinda fun to play.

The other bassist of note is Getz76. I've seen him play, heard his original parts, and have mediocre respect for him. I have (and will again) pay to see him play.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

1. -- Jaco. Hearing Heavy Weather was a life-changing moment for me, as much as my wedding day and the birth of my two children. Hearing 'A Remark You Made' made me go out and buy my first bass.

2. -- Victor Wooten. Not just for his acrobatics, but his humility. After seeing him over a decade ago in a New Orleans music club (Tipitina's, about the size of a McDonalds with a loft), I asked how he felt to be a musical genius stuck in a bar while Bon Jovi's bassist (Von Such?) was rocking arenas and on every TV in America with his band.

Victor's response? "It's Alex's job to sell millions of records and thousands of tickets. If he can do that, keep his record company happy, and be happy himself, then I am glad for him. He's doing his job.

"It's my job to sell thousands of albums and hundreds of tickets. As long as I am doing my job, and my record company's happy, I am happy."

That's pretty much a word-for-word quote, one that burned into my brain and my soul that night, one that I'll never forget. Changed my outlook on music completely.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

Archived