Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High End Gig Bags?

LLroomtempJ

I recently purchased a warwick rockbag for $80. I thought that it was a good purchase, but it falling apart before my eyes...and i cannot believe it.

I searched and saw that some people liked this undercover gig bag. bass central is offering multiple colors for about $140...reasonable.

But what i'm really looking for is a bag that offers lower back support. any suggestions?

jason "700 posts" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Godin bass that comes in the nicest gig bag I've ever seen; the name says it's made by "New Guitar Concepts." Heavy canvas, lots of padding, pouches everywhere, a wide carrying strap, stiff handles, reflective strips, even a support block & velcro strap for the neck inside...just one damn nice gig bag. Don't know about their availability, but it'd be worth a look.

I have been using Fender's deluxe-bag for a long while. Still like new. Once my 4x10 cab fell over the bass in my car when I had to brake hard, no damage to my precious bass, but after that I'm always using a hard case when transporting my basses.
"Your mind is writing checks your body can't cash"

I've seen and tried on getz76's In-Case gig bag. It is killer. A little heavier than other bags, but very comfortable with good support and balance. It will not fit all basses.

I've heard that Mooradians are very nice as well.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Since I'm usually the one carrying my instruments (and I typically carry 4-6 basses into a session), I need to have bags rather than hard cases; it's the difference between making one trip or three. And when I do fly dates, a gig bag bass can go in carry-on, but a cased instrument cannot.

But I've had good luck just buying $40-$50 gig bags (including one that holds 2 Fender basses). The last one I bought was somewhere around $20 or $25 from Sam Ash; I expect to get years of service out of it (holding a '54 P Bass reissue).

What in the heck to you guys do that tears up your gig bags?

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Originally posted by Dave Martin:

What in the heck to you guys do that tears up your gig bags?

Eat them.

I've had only one gig bag since I got my first bass guitar in 9th grade. It's a Made in Canada Levy bag made of somewhat stiff dark blue canvas with two shoulder straps that are almost identical to my bass strap. It's big because I needed it to fit my Gibson Grabber and it's the only thing I could find at the time. It now houses my Epiphone Rockbass because the Gibson isn't playable right now and I don't have another case for the Epi. The only problem that I have with it is that the bottom strap button it wearing through the butt of the case.

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Why bother with a bag? Get a case.

Case falls = case dented, bass okay

Gig bag falls = bag okay, bass hurt

Not always true. If the case isn't fitted well for the bass:

Case Falls -> Impact -> Case dents -> Bass inside continues to move -> Impact -> Bass dents

Google inertia.

My incase Slimbag is my favorite case in the world. $150.

My Mike Lull M5V came with a ProTec ultralight case. Great case.

http://goincase.com/

http://www.ptcases.com/

I am 57 years old, with a bad back. I use the Undercover double bag & have a single bag as well. I have not found a better gig bag in that price range. They are used a lot for private label. My single has the Tobias logo on it from when Michael owned the company (1989). It's still a good bag. The double was private label for L.A. Bassexchange, a high end boutique that went out of business about 5 years ago.

I had a Ritter Super Pak. Not made by Jens Ritter/Ritter basses, but rather a British company called Ritter bags. Pretty well made, holds way too much stuff, fairly comfortable.

Actually more bag than I needed.

It now resides with a certain character called Ace Cracker.

Lately, I have been content with a cheapie gig bag. It was free to me, but I'd guess it cost

$20-30. Adequate. It's too short for my Jazz though, that's got an old-fashioned wood case.

I prefer the weight of a gig bag.

Getz' InCase is about the best "bag" I have seen.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I too have a Ritter Super Pak - it's almost as big as my entire bass rig! But it does hold two basses, and mountains of random leads and stuff.

I'd like to get an InCase Slimbag, but I'm concerned that their new website consists solely of iPods cases...

Alex

I have an Undercover Double and have been very pleased with it. It's been tipped over a few times with no harm, and I feel safe hoisting it in an out of the car. It's more manageable than a big fat hardshell case, and FAR more manageable than TWO big fat hardshell cases.

But I'm also very careful about where I put it, not letting anything get in the neighborhood that could fall on top of it.

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

I'd like to get an InCase Slimbag, but I'm concerned that their new website consists solely of iPods cases...

Just realized that. That would be a shame. I wanted a DubBag (double bag) but they stopped making it about a year ago.

However, it looks like Pro Tec has a case that is VERY similar to the InCase bag...

http://www.ptcases.com/images/600/CTG234SX-2.jpg

I too was looking into the InCase DubBag but didn't find it on the web site. I sent an email and was told that a new series of bags are currently being designed. It wasn't clear if there would be a new DubBag though.

Too bad, I ned a double gig bag (my Rockbass bag is falling apart) and I'd love that protection for my "Babies".

CYa

Ben

Now try to cram a TKL hard case into the overhead compartment of a 757. A soft case will fit in there just fine. And unless they design a hard case made of the same material as my ex-wife's skull or I get so damned good I can charter all my flights, I'm not checking the axe!

That said, my Guitar Research (three years old) padded bag has been drug on planes and across country in my car and the Fender delux gig bag I had Machine kick in for my '51 P seems to be pretty stout.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Why bother with a bag? Get a case.

Case falls => case dented, bass okay

Gig bag falls => bag okay, bass hurt

To give you my simple pov :D

That has traditionally been my take on it as well. BUT...lately I've been watching the other bassist in church carry his lighweight Hohner broom-stick bass in it's small gig bag strapped onto his back (while I carry 40 lbs of bass/case and pedalboard in each hand!)...something that lets you carry the bass on the back is starting to look appealing to me!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

If you can do a hardshell, do it. But I understand about the bag. About a year ago, I got a Roadrunner bag. Nice padding. Very comfortable shoulder straps, came with a very cool bag attachments that I put my notes in. The bag it's self is a very cool feature.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

If you carry your bass uncovered then you (and everyone else) will be really careful with it. If you put it in a hefty flightcase it'll get chucked around because it looks tough. Fill in the gaps for hardshell cases and gigbags.

That Pro Tec looks good, and I look forward to the new InCase bags. I guess I'm going to have to acquire an SKB Bass Safe to get my forthcoming (in a long time) custom bass across the Atlantic. I wonder who'd like one over here?

Alex

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Reunion Blues bags yet:

http://www.reunionblues.com/images/products/301-15_400x450.jpghttp://www.reunionblues.com/images/products/324-15_400x450.jpghttp://www.reunionblues.com/images/products/340-59_400x450.jpg

I have two and love 'em.

The Incase, Mooradian, and ProTec bags are good as well.

Just don't buy any of those cheap bags you can get from Musician's Friend...they're awful.

Archived