Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Police

musicfiend

ramp,

Thanks, but it was a great exercise for me to replicate the entire arrangement myself. I learned a lot about drumming, boy oh boy!

I was maniacal to the point that I recorded a track of 60 cycle hum like the hum that you hear in the opening seconds of the recording. Plus I unmuted the bass part while sustaining a note, again just like the record. There are two subtle synth parts in the song, too (at the end), and, yup, I recreated those, too.

I had a great time working on that project. Too bad I don't sing better, though!

:eek::rolleyes:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was weaned on Sting and Geddy. Both are great, but I like Stings 'groove' and simplicity better. Geddy, whom I love, repeats himself alot. No Time At All and Peanuts were my gave speed work outs...Stewart not technical? p-shaw...He is a god. Murder By Numbers is one of the grooviest things they ever did, IMHO, and I got blank stares from a few friends a couple weeks ago when Istarted to recite Masoko Tango..No one knew WTF I was talking about. I saw them live only once (I saw Sting after, but no where near as cool) on the Sychronicity tour. Amazing. As many times as I have seen Rush, I don't think I have ever seen the power of 3 guys like that. Just an amzing, amazing band. Top five all time favorites, probably number one.

And, my theory on them musically is that their space builds tension on top of a killer groove, then it explodes. They are one of the best at knowing when NOT to play.

Geddy repetes? What about that umbrella in the rain thing that kept showing up? I am still working on the Walking on the moon part cause I have started singing it. Some of the parts are really hard to keep tight while singing. This is one of the things that Stewart used to give Sting shit about. Sting strugled with some of the songs live.

Originally posted by NUTT:

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

.... and their 2 disc set "The Police: Live."

This should be required listening for all musicians. I can feel their energy coming from my speakers when I pop this in.
Good call, NUTT!

:thu:

That "Live" energy definitely explodes through the speakers when I play that album!

Poor Sting; you can feel him trying to keep the tempo in a sing-able place, while Stewart is mercilessly driving the tempo at a whole 'nother level of intensity and energy in front of the live crowd. Not rushing: just playing each tune from the top at the tempo he wanted to play at (but didn't get to) in the studio -- the liner notes in the "Message In A Box" set make it clear that tempo was a frequent point of contention between Stewart and Sting, with Stewart complaining that everything was too slow and Sting insisting that things were too fast!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Try "The Bed's Too Big Without You" from Reggatta de Blanc. "Walking on the Moon" gets all the credit on this CD but 'Bed's' is a more challenging song IMHO, especially to play as a band.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

Try "The Bed's Too Big Without You" from Reggatta de Blanc. "Walking on the Moon" gets all the credit on this CD but 'Bed's' is a more challenging song IMHO, especially to play as a band.

Yeah! Gotta listen to that one again.

That's it, I'm puttin' my Police CD's in my car to listen to the next few days/weeks/years. You guys have inspired me.

--Rush, "Limelight"

Man..I forgot about the beds' too big...That one is a killer to play and sing..

Walking on the moon just takes time. Reminded me of one of my fave Sting solo pieces 'Moon Over Bourbon Street'. I love that bass part.

Classic Geddy repeat?

3-4 hammer on 1-2 slide. Ged has some fave patterns for sure. I think Sting writes it, then figures out how to play it. I just think they both evolved their bass styles totally differently. The song Marathon, one of my favorites, has a bunch of classic Geddy-isms in it.

Back to the Police...Amazing, classic, elegant power pop.

The worst sounding, yet memorable concert I've ever seen was The Police w/Black Uhuru (inc. Sly and Robbie) at the Syracuse Carrier Dome on the Synchronicity tour. Actually, all the concerts I've seen in the Carrier Dome have sounded like crap.

Loved The Police, still a big Sting fan (in fact, Sting/Annie Lenox was my favorite concert of 2004). With them, it was a "whole greater than the sum of it's parts" thing. When you put all the pieces together, it's like alchemy.

I wish all of you could hear this...

Originally posted by Dan South:

I did a cover version of Walking On The Moon for a compilation project over on the Keyboard Forum. It took me four weeks to transcribe and program Stewart's drum parts into my sequencer.

...because Dan's drum programming was scary good on that song!

The epic eight-plus minute long version of "The Bed's Too Big Without You" on Disc 1 of The Police: Live! is sheer frightening genius. Incredible stuff.

--Rush, "Limelight"

A lot of what you discribe is the result of being only a 3 piece band. A damn good one.

Edit: After I hit reply , I got a good laugh seeing "Sit tight... We're taking you back to The Police."

Oh no!!

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Seeing Sting tonight in Spokane, with opener Phantom Planet. I've been a Sting/Police fan for as long as I can remember, but this'll be my first time seeing him live. This tour, the "Broken Music Tour," seems like it'll be a good/different one, too -- just Sting and his bass, two guitarists, and one drummer, playing mostly old Police songs. I can't wait!
All your bass are belong to us!

Originally posted by Discombobulation:

Seeing Sting tonight in Spokane, with opener Phantom Planet. I've been a Sting/Police fan for as long as I can remember, but this'll be my first time seeing him live. This tour, the "Broken Music Tour," seems like it'll be a good/different one, too -- just Sting and his bass, two guitarists, and one drummer, playing mostly old Police songs. I can't wait!

Enjoy! Sounds like a good concert.

--Rush, "Limelight"

What can I say? I was blown away. Sting's sounding better than ever, and this new band resembles the Police more closely than any group Sting's played with since they broke up. I was suprised (but not all that disappointed) that he didn't even play a single song from his 2 most recent albums. This tour seems to be all about revisiting old forgotten tunes that he hasn't played in years, and paring down some of his more recent stuff. Awesome. They also did a very cool rendition of the Beatles' "A Day In The Life."

Anyway... catch him on this tour if you can, especially if you were a big fan of his days with the Police.

Oh yeah, Phantom Planet opened for him, and they were much better than I had previously been led to believe (maybe I'd just dismissed them because they did the theme song for "The OC.") Also, a band called Fiction Plane that is fronted by Sting's son Joe Sumner will be opening for him on a bunch of dates. That'd be fun to see.

All your bass are belong to us!

*sigh*... they won't tour Europe. Well, last time I saw him was in November (Sacred Love tour) and even that was amazing. I can only imagine how cool a Broken Music tour gig is.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

-- Leonardo da Vinci

What can I say? I was blown away. Sting's sounding better than ever, and this new band resembles the Police more closely than any group Sting's played with since they broke up....

Anyway... catch him on this tour if you can, especially if you were a big fan of his days with the Police....

Lucky! Gosh!

;)

--Rush, "Limelight"

Sting and Jazz. . . you might listen to the soundtrack from 'Leaving Las Vegas' with Nic Cage scored by Mike Figgis. A couple of jazzy songs there.

Sting played acoustic bass from way back too.

Police .. saw them in London in early days around punk time . . at the end of a barrage of high energy music I asked myself 'what was that'?

Copeland reminds me of Mooney oddly enough . .. all over the kit and very, very good.

They also did a very cool rendition of the Beatles' "A Day In The Life."

I've got that on CD, from the Eurpoean leg(s) of the 'Soul Cages' tour before it hit America; Sancious, Colaiuta, Miller, and Sting.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Incidentally, alot (if not all) the stuff Police did was really 'borowed' from Reggae music. The drumming, the basslines....Infact Sting's style of singing in high register was inspired by David Hinds the lead singer of the legendary super Reggae outfit Steel Pulse. :thu:

Alot has come from Reggae....especially studio production techniques and things like remixes etc..

Originally posted by A Head with Wings:

Concerning Stewart Copeland: listen to the soundtrack of Rumble Fish!

Agreed, good stuff.

Additionally, try to find an obscure album called Klark Kent. Copeland plays all the instruments, IIRC.

When you find one, please send me a copy. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

Incidentally, alot (if not all) the stuff Police did was really 'borowed' from Reggae music. The drumming, the basslines....Infact Sting's style of singing in high register was inspired by David Hinds the lead singer of the legendary super Reggae outfit Steel Pulse. :thu:

Alot has come from Reggae....especially studio production techniques and things like remixes etc..

Well, If you said alot of Sting is borrowed from Reggae you'd be more accurate. Summers' virtuosic atmospheres aren't to be found in reggae, nor is a good portion of Copeland's tasty chops. However, from an overall band perspective you're right, the way it all comes together definetely shows the influence of Reggae / Ska. Its a very strong nfluence at that.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived