Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock's Chameleon is the coolest song ever.

73 P Bass

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BenLoy:

Okay, I threatened to post it, and here it is:

And it is damn fine!

Just got to the second movement and it's still funking hard! :D I hope the crowd appreciated just how burning y'all were!

Alex

P.S. The chords do sound a little strange in the turnarounds but nothing's perfect! ;)

P.P.S. I need to be in a hardcore funk fusion band, there is no other option...

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Just got to the second movement and it's still funking hard! :D I hope the crowd appreciated just how burning y'all were!

The crowd was mostly ignoring us except for a couple friends down front who were huge Herbie fans. We were wallpaper. :D

Gotta love all those '70s Herbie Hancock albums like...

HEAD HUNTERS

THRUST

MANCHILD

SECRETS

SUNLIGHT

All featuring Paul Jackson on bass, Harvey Mason or Mike Clarke on drums and of course Benny Maupin on wind.

Wah Wah Watson never ceases to amaze me on these cuts.

Cheers,

-Andy-

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by Tedster:

Or take the clavinet riff from "Superstition". Neither Jeff Beck nor SRV played clavinet, but they tore up that tune.

Though that tune was written by Stevie Wonder for Jeff Beck, and was thus originally intended as a guitar riff!

Alex

I did not know that! :) Learn something new every day. I'm glad Stevie Wonder recorded it as well.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Benloy I clicked on your link, the page is blank. Did you only have this tune (which I love) hosted for a limited period?

I would love to hear your version.

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

Thanks again for the kind words. It's making my head inflate, even though there are others on this board that could play circles around me on this piece...I didn't quite nail that Paul Jackson vibe on the groove. :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Thanks again for the kind words. It's making my head inflate, even though there are others on this board that could play circles around me on this piece...I didn't quite nail that Paul Jackson vibe on the groove. :D

I haven't listened to Ben yet (I will next Tuesday when the DSL gets hooked up!).

But being the coolest song ever, I've been playing it incessantly. The hardest part for me is definitely the "groove section". Jackson has this flow that changes, yet is soo consistent.

And Ben can play circles, ovals and figure eights around me.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys, first post here.

My only national recording was as a guest guitarist at the age of 26 on Bassist Sean Malone's ffirst album on the tune

Splinter at:

seanmalone.net/Downloads/Audio/Audio_mp3/Splinter(gtrsolo).mp3

Wish I had the picking skills back then what I have now, but I guess that means I have to lay down the lumber and record an album

ANYWAY, that was a long intro, but I was never one for brevity

I am getting stumped on the middle section of Chameleon when the vamp is going from Bb9sus to Db9sus

There are these spacy chord progressions interspersed in between the groove

I am not sure of The first one but I believe it

goes F#min/maj7 A7b13#9 Eb9#11 C9sus Abmin9

The second one I am still working on

Any help would be appreciated and should this be inappropriate for this forum, I apologize and would appreciate any redirection to the right place

--Caputo

Caputo,

Welcome. Your post was more than appropriate. Glad you got some support from the keyboard gang.

I dig pretty hard on "Palm Grease". However, I find the Head Hunters' grooves all excellent, and my fave tunes seem to vary depending on the direction of the wind.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Head Hunters, Man-Child, Secrets, Thrust and Sextant are my favorite era of Herbie's career. I'm a sucker for '70s funk fusion. I even had James Gadson, who split the drumming duties with Harvey Mason on some of those records, throw a band together for my wedding. It was the funkiest wedding band you have ever heard.

A very obscure record that came out a few years ago that you guys will love if you like the Chameleon is called Action Figure Party. It's Greg Kursten, who now is Beck's keyboard player (Beck Hanson, not Jeff Beck), and he used to have a band called Geggy Tah. It is easily the coolest album of the genre done in the last ten years.

Friends don't let friends act like rockstars.

Originally posted by J.J. Blair:

A very obscure record that came out a few years ago that you guys will love if you like the Chameleon is called Action Figure Party. It's Greg Kursten, who now is Beck's keyboard player (Beck Hanson, not Jeff Beck), and he used to have a band called Geggy Tah. It is easily the coolest album of the genre done in the last ten years.

Thanks for the suggestion, J.J.! I am a huge Geggy Tah fan in addition to my love of all things 70's funk fusion, so I am definitely intrigued.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

wraub, I just chekced and the album is available on iTunes. Check out the bass playing on "Clock Radio". Total Chuck Rainey, Willy Weeks style.

BTW, do you guys how that the first couple of Pointer Sisters records are the Headhunters band? Very funky shit.

Friends don't let friends act like rockstars.

Action Figure Party is definetly a cool album worth checking out.

Speaking of chameleon, I've been doing the Herbie Hancock workout lately. I run on the stair stepper during Chameleon, a perfect beat for the stepper, and 15 min is just right. Then I do situps to watermelon man. I've lost 25 lbs in a month. :D Not to mention the fact this tune is now ingrained in my head so I've learned the both the high end bass riff (damn its hard to get the right feel though) and the keyboard bass riff. Now its on to the ever powerful groove during the swing section of the tune. Wish me luck I'll need it.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived