Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock's Chameleon is the coolest song ever.

73 P Bass

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, my wife has my truck, so I can't confirm the credits on the album, but in Jim Roberts book, "How the Fender Bass Changed the World" he credits Jackson.

"Paul Jackson was another outstanding fusion bassist, and his playing on Hancock's 1973 Head Hunters album (especially on their big hit "Chameleon") was as funky as fusion ever got."

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

While we are in that era ....

I like bass on the the song

"Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Deadato.

I am not sue if its Ron Carter playing on that song or Stanley Clarke.

The liner notes say...

Ron Carter, Bass

Stanley Clarke, Solo on Also Zach Zarathustra

Billy Cobham is awesome!

www.danielprine.com

Check out Gov't Mule's version on the DVD concert of "The Deepest End". Paul Jackson w/ Gov't Mule and The Dirty Dozen Brass Band! :thu::thu:

I played this song when I was working with my jazz band last year. It definitely is a fun tune to play.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Ha! This is awesome...some friends and I vamped this song for about 1/2 an hour after jazz band today taking turns soloing. Then we moved on to other wonderfully easy to remember tunes like Mr. Clean and Straight Life. Good stuff!

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

Amazing! A bassist in the lowdown posts a "coolest song ever" thread about a song in which the bassline was performed on...a lowly synthesizer!

Blasphemy! 73 P Bass just kicked himself in the nutsack, without meaning to! :D

I think I kicked myself more in the booty; that song rocks! :eek:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Speaking of Herbie, if you want to hear the most stunningly beautiful solo piano work you'll ever hear - he has an obscure circa 1978 record called "The Piano". This was originally released only in Japan and has just recently become available on CD in limited quantities in the States. IMO, it is Herbie at the absolute peak of his genius.

Another interesting thing about this recording is that it was done direct-to-disc, meaning that each side of the album was recorded entirely in one pass, with no edits! As a result, the sound quality is as stunning as Herbie's playing. This became my new favorite jazz piano CD the second I put it in my player...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

And if you listen carefully you will hear that they speed up considerably during the track...they're going about twice as fast as they were when they started.

But it's still a great track.

And when people play this song, I've never heard anyone play the second section. That's where they really start going.

I've got a version of Chameleon that we did when I was back in college. We played the middle section, although I'm still not sure the keyboardist really got the chords right. The roots I played were correct, of course. :D

I'll post it when I get home. The drummer kills on it.

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

Hmm. Everyone keeps refering to the part Herbie plays as the coolest bassline in the song. I have to disagree, I think the bassline Jackson plays in the breakdown, is what makes 10 mins of repetition worth it.

Disagree. It's all about the Herbie synth bassline.

And when I saw them play this live, Bennie Maupin (the sax/bass clarinetist) was playing the bass line....on an Arp Odyssey.

The bass part the Jackson plays while the synth is playing is very cool. It's on the top frets of his Fender.

Learn it.

If you really want to be funky, it helps if you learn not only the bass line of a song, but all the parts so you can see how the interplay between the parts works.

A cool line is a cool line, no matter what it's played on. And it's even cooler if it's played on a different instrument, and you can grab it and make it your own and keep the soul of the line intact. Some of the best solos and riffs on any instrument, for example...well, they interview the guy that did it and he'll say "I was trying to cop some sax lines on my keyboard (or whatever) and this came out".

Or take the clavinet riff from "Superstition". Neither Jeff Beck nor SRV played clavinet, but they tore up that tune.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

Hmm. Everyone keeps refering to the part Herbie plays as the coolest bassline in the song. I have to disagree, I think the bassline Jackson plays in the breakdown, is what makes 10 mins of repetition worth it.

Disagree. It's all about the Herbie synth bassline.
Was curious, pulled out the Vinyl and listened.

IMHO, BOTH basslines make this song jump.

(Man I haven't listened to this record in AGES..that's what's so cool about hanging here--all of these informed postings! :thu: )

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by Tedster:

Or take the clavinet riff from "Superstition". Neither Jeff Beck nor SRV played clavinet, but they tore up that tune.

Though that tune was written by Stevie Wonder for Jeff Beck, and was thus originally intended as a guitar riff!

Alex

Okay, I threatened to post it, and here it is:

Chameleon (Warning! 15MB!!! This track is long!)

This is a jazz-fusion combo I played with back in college covering Herbie's famous tune. I covered the synth bassline using a Mu-Tron III+ (except for the middle section, which was clean).

Like I said before, I'm not sure if all the chords were correct in the middle section, but I like the guitarist's solo at the end.

The drummer is my buddy Mark Portugal. He was awesome then and is even scarier now. He plays with Bakhithi Kumalo. :eek:

Originally posted by BenLoy:

This is a jazz-fusion combo I played with back in college covering Herbie's famous tune...

Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed this version.

I cannot muster detailed critique at this late hour. Suffice it to say that it helped me write a few more paragraphs of a paper I'm working on for my job.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Chameleon (Warning! 15MB!!! This track is long!)

This is a jazz-fusion combo I played with back in college covering Herbie's famous tune. I covered the synth bassline using a Mu-Tron III+ (except for the middle section, which was clean).

Like I said before, I'm not sure if all the chords were correct in the middle section, but I like the guitarist's solo at the end.

The drummer is my buddy Mark Portugal. He was awesome then and is even scarier now. He plays with Bakhithi Kumalo. :eek:

Disclaimer: typing while listeing

And a bitchin' version it is, Mr. Loy. Fantastically groovlicious, in fact. I can't claim to dispute the chord voicings in the second half, but it grooves like no one's business; and that's good enough for me. Thanks for sharing!

You totally got the groove going on with Mr. Drummer, and that's what is important 99% of the time. Solid.

I can see why you are proud of this, Ben. Not least because I've heard *so* many bad live or jam session versions of Chameleon. Get the bass riff going and let your guitarist/keys player/sax player wallow in tasteless self-indulgence for a LONG TIME. They must throw in all their favourite licks and above all, leave no-one in doubt how fast they can play. Stick in equally self-indulgent drum and bass solos at some point. Don't bother with the tricky middle section. No need to listen to what anyone else is playing. Pay lip service to subtlety or taste for a few bars of quiet noodling before getting back to the real business of showing off. That's the usual formula. Nice to hear it being so comprehensively ignored on this occasion.

Archived