Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best bass under $650

viejid

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by viejid:

Looking for a new bass, 4, 5, 6 string, it doesnt matter... i just want something with a bright sound, will be used mainly for slapping.

Any opinions?

Your parameters are much too restrictive. :D

You're going to spend 650.00 and you don't have a preference towards a certain number of strings?

Curbow.

"For instance" is not proof.

A G&L Tribute L2000 is right in that range. It can be bright, it can be warm, it can be fat, take your pick.

In the end though, its all on your ears, play some basses, find the one you like. 650 is a lot of money, take your time in how you want to spend it. I do think you should checkk out the L2000 though, that is a sweet bass.

Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

A G&L Tribute L2000 is right in that range. It can be bright, it can be warm, it can be fat, take your pick.

In the end though, its all on your ears, play some basses, find the one you like. 650 is a lot of money, take your time in how you want to spend it. I do think you should checkk out the L2000 though, that is a sweet bass.

beat me like a red-headed stepchild.

Go to G&L's web page and they have a whole bunch of sound samples of the L2500 utilizing the different pups positions, series/parallel, and passive/active/active w/trble setpups. You are bound to find a slap tone you like. The one recomendation I always make is to get a PRemium Tribute as opposed to a regular tribute. The premiums have an Ash body while the regulars are basswood. Basswood is nice if you want a very light bass but Ash sounds better to my ears.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

There is so much good stuff available at that price point these days, it's unbelievable. So get out & try everything you can.

I don't like the "brand name game," but in my travels I've had really good impressions of the following (in no order):

Yamaha BB series (& check the RBX series, too)

Godin Freeway series

Godin BG series

Ibanez BTB series

Fender Japan

Dean Edge series

Spector imports

That is by NO means an exhaustive list of the good stuff out there in this range. And everyone's tastes are different, anyway. But I think it should be very easy to find a good, slap-worthy bass in your price range. The market has NEVER been better for buyers.

I really like my Ibanez BTB405QM.

I was originally going for an Ibanez Ergodyne model, but the guitar player in my then band had an Ergodyne guitar and it sucked so bad that I let go.

Plus the guy at the store told me the Ergodyne was a good bass for slapping, but not too well as an all-rounder.

That said, my BTB is a REALLY good bass, considering the money. I can't slap very good, but I can get a good slapping tone out of it.

But like the rest said, play it and you'll hear it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by getz76:

Schecters are also in that price-range and they have a very politically correct website.

I recently played a schecter stilleto 4 string styrung up with elixer 45's and LOW action...and I'll tell you that thing sounded nice and bright.....alos I spotted an old yamaha bb with pj pickups, it was neck through...and i'll say that thins sounded damn good all around....easily the best sounding bass ofr the price that i've heard.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass.

I officially ammend my vote and now second that motion with an additional plea. Save 20 bucks for a fresh set of rotosounds......and somewhere down the road you might wanna pick up a couple washers and dryers.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Danno:

Carvin B4. Bolt on neck, single coil pups, and customize to your taste. www.carvin.com

I'll second that suggestion. They start at about $620, but there is $100 off sale going right now so they start about $520. Very high quality construction.

Or if you're good with your hands, you can build a Carvin Bolt Kit with a lot of options added for about $500.

Bruiser

I actually pu the geddy lee before the sting. Both deliver beautiful sounds, and botha re workable, but the geddy lee wins by a nose because of it's added versatility and the fact that with the sting bass one might be tempted to upgrade bridge or pickup while with the geddy lee the sound is already there.

:confused: What is this "Geddy Lee" bass of which everyone speaks? Is this instrument anything like the Fender Ben Loy j bass?

If it is, you should get it easily for less than $650 and have a quality instrument. If you're anyone other than dcr, you'll get another $100 or so off the price. Why? Apparently just because! :D

Peace.

--SW

PS: There are lots of lovely instruments to be had for sub-$650. Among them the aforementioned Ben Loy ...errrr, Geddy Lee model. I'd also put in a vote for a Carvin B4 or B5 w/ ash body and maple neck/'board.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

[QB] :confused: What is this "Geddy Lee" bass of which everyone speaks? Is this instrument anything like the Fender Ben Loy j bass?

If it is, you should get it easily for less than $650 and have a quality instrument. If you're anyone other than dcr, you'll get another $100 or so off the price. Why? Apparently just because! :D

Peace.

--SW

QB]

I've ammended my vote again. Now instead of the geddy lee model My vote goes towards the Benloy bass. Why you may ask. Well because I'd rather play like the great loy than some guy from canada that lays with neil peart :D

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

[QBIf it is, you should get it easily for less than $650 and have a quality instrument. If you're anyone other than dcr, you'll get another $100 or so off the price. Why? Apparently just because! :D [/QB]

Awww, maaaaan!

PS The Carvin bolt-on is a great suggestion. And as it happens, my Geddy Lee falls into my "pry it from my cold dead hands" category. The Fender early 50s reissue is also way cool. And then there are always do-it-yourselfers.

Originally posted by kenfxj:

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Get a Mexican-made Fender Jazz bass.

End of topic. :D

FWIW I have two. (fretted & fretless) I absolutely love them both.
I agree! i got one and i love the thing 2 death! Bright and snappy, also cheap :)

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

My two cents--

I played with an OLP Music Man copy ($200 at Musician's Friend) and was friggin blown away at the tone, construction.

I've heard of people switching the stock soapbar for a Seymour Duncan pick-up -- another $200 or so -- and not being able to tell the difference between the OLP and it's $1500 daddy.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

Squire "J". Set you back about $135 if you whine to the geek working behind the counter at SuperGuitarMeagMartCo. And it will do what you need to do untill you are ready to purchase something better.

I will assume you are just starting out. If you decide you don't like the bass, or get more respect as a frontman or guitarist, then you are out $135. Now you can sell it to someone else for $50 and bite the loss, or do a wonderful Pete Townsend/Jimi Hendrix with the thing as a prop.

Review your local municipalities fire code before attempting.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived