Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scale preference?

73 P Bass

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My big disadvantage is that I never learned to play guitar, so the whole "guitar fingering" concept is completely alien.

Still refusing to give up on the whole "retro" concept, so when the dust settles a little here (as if dust ever settles in Eastern Washington), I may make a couple of purchases at Warmoth and try to cop some technical data. I'm sure I am not going to get away with something as simple as copping the "V" body and sticking a 34" scale neck on the thing.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

34" on the Electra MPC (O'Keefe,) 32.5 on the Rogue A/E (Marie,) and it's been a while since I've been on an upright so I don't recall that scale.

Never had a problem jumping from one to the other, but I do remember ending up with the upright on my knee a couple of times. ;)

ATM

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

After 2 months, I don't like the 35" scale, no sir don't like it at all.

Fortunately I never paid for it and can give it back.

But you don't say why? I can agree with tatudbassman to the extent that the 35" scale with the low B helps keep that string from getting muddy in some cases and would probably go that route of I decided to make a 5 string.

And yes, there are perfectly good 5 string with 34" scales that sound just great on the bottom, but since I do not have the years of experience and staff of engineers and artisans, I would take the cheap way out and go 35" for a 5 string.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

My Rogue HR is 34 and very comfy. The new Peavey is 35 and to be honest, the only difference I noticed was the fact that my usual strings are a we bit too short.

The new M.Kelly A/E 5 will also be 35". Looking foreward to that.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by Social Critic:

[/qb]

But you don't say why?

[/QB]

Why what? Why I don't like it? Because when I'd switch to one of my 34" scale basses there would be an awkward readjustment period to the size difference.

Why I never paid for it and can give it back? it's a demo.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

My 5's are 35", my 4's (and the fretless)are 34".

I only use the 5's with one band, so there's a 'familiarity' in context.

(I'd be screwed if I brought the 5 to a 4 gig. I need to work on that!)

On the other hand - my "BenLoy" has the 'D-Tuner'. I might be able to slide on that one.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

The only sort of scale I've found I disliked is short scale. My Ric 4003 is 43 & change, & feels great. But I tried an Epiphone Woody bass, & while it seemed like a fine instrument, I just could not stand that short-scaled neck.

Not a short scale fan.

34" for me, usually, although I have played a few 35"s I liked. Shecky's Kinal felt odd at first, but I came around after a bit.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived