Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coated & colored Bass strings

tarsia

I just put some DR Extra life Red Devils

on my main bass ( MIM Jazz active deluxe 5'er)

I needed a new set & opted for these, I've had a set of the original Elixirs (Free from a Bass Player Mag. Promo) That I actually liked & used for quite a while, so I somewhat knew what to expect, obiviously I got the red ones ....

what do you guys think ?????

http://boomspeed.com/tarsia/redjazzdevil.jpg

:thu:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to own a BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock, light blue. I once bought a set of some Fender Tapewounds for it; they have black nylon wrapped around the string. It looked awesome and had a flatwound sound, which I happened to like. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the same set anywhere after that. I bought them from Mars Music at one of their store closing sales, and they were the only place that carried them. :(
"If only I had HIS chops!"

My next set will probably be Black Beauties. I want to try coated strings on my bass and my acoustic g****r... so they may as well be purty. And the black will look great against my natural maple Toby! :love:

Steve - 20 bucks is nice, but I'll buy fresh ones from the guitar player I work with, he's a DR dealer who is kind to his friends.

- Matt W.

I just got some Blank Beauties yesterday, and from the day and a half I have played them, they are great! They feel exactly the same, but hopefully they will actually last longer. I like the look of black over my purple BTB body. They have big bottom and sharp highs which I like.

I reccomend them!

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

2 days later & I really like these strings, 1st time with DR's for me - I think a little higher tension but feel great, I have T.I.'s flats

on my Toby ABG (Matt W. did I read right that you have one of these too ?) & Rotosound Swingbass on my 4 string project bass, def. a different feel & sound for each instrument. Zero9 the reds look really good on the Black Jazz, maybe I'd of done better with a contrasting color ~? they also make a peacock blue color, Hmmmm......

It's all good !

:wave:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

I tried GHS Nylon Tape Wound strings once when I first started playing and hated the way the sounded. Dull and lifeless. I would like to try some Elixirs out, but don't feel like forking out $40 for a set.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Not sure about the coloured thang but I'm a convert to coated strings. Put these Bootzillas on a good few months ago - just checked when exactly using the search function (yes, it's working today!) and it was on June 5th - that's over 6 months on my main bass and they still sound great!

But the important thing is not how long they last but also how good they sound to start with. Almost perfect. The treble isn't what I'd call crunchy, as the advert claims, but it's certainly present (and presumably to a much greater extent than other coated strings). The great thing is how liquid and coherent they sound - vocal midrange, clear fast attack and tight round lows. They let me be expressive whilst still thundering when required. And the sound stays very much together as one shifts from palm-muted thumb-plucking through fingerstyle to slapping. Very responsive yet characterful. I think I've found the perfect strings for me and my bass. :D

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by NUTT:

Those strings look killer on both basses. I may have to consider a set for one of mine... hmmmm. Cheap(er) GAS.

Got 'em. Like 'em. Look at 'em.

They don't really stand out here. Might be lighting, flash, and background (I really am a much better photographer than this!?!).

http://usera.imagecave.com/NUTT/Warwick_devils_01.jpg

Closer up on my poor banged up baby...

http://usera.imagecave.com/NUTT/Warwick_devils_03.jpg

I'm lucky - they use Elixirs on all the display basses at one of our local music shops. I really like the way they feel, and I think my next set will be Elixirs. I just haven't been willing to shell out more than $50 for a pair of strings until now.
SWR Amps: Amplify your furniture! Errr.... future.

My Schecter came with Elixir Nanowebs, and I like them a great deal (they arn't a pretty color; well they are a pretty silver color). I don't have very acidic sweat so I don't know if they are worth it or not; double the cost of D'Addarios (but maybe I'll NEVER have to change my strings again!). ;)

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Archived