Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: "Favorite" guitar player quote

73 P Bass

I swear I didn't make these up:

"I tuned this afternoon, just after I put on a new set of strings"

"You can't play blues on a five string"

"All the bands tune to E-flat, it's standard tuning"

"Don't follow the drummer, follow me"

"I can't follow you because of that low B string"

"What should drums sound like on a recording?"

:D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by datsame:

"I don't like the direction our music is going. I want the attention to be more on me. I don't want to be a greens keeper anymore I want to be a rock star."

- The day my band broke up.

http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/142.wav

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

From my dim past:

Me: "Did you learn (that cover song)?"

Him: "I learned the solo."

--------

Another fave, from my dimmer past-

"Anybody can play bass. Guitars are way harder, because there's more strings, and you have to play chords."

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

"If we cut the set down a lot, I could maybe get away with just bringing 4 guitars."

"Oh man, I had to change strings and intonate 7 guitars this week!" (Me: Maybe you don't need 4 different guitars with nearly identical double-humbucker pickup arrangements?)

"Yeah, I guess I could play Silent Lucidity on the acoustic instead of the classical, but it will sound terrible!"

Of course, I should count my blessings. My guitar player practices hours a day, never comes to practice unprepared, always has enough picks, always sets up and breaks down his own gear, learns how to operate the PA, handles the website and CD shipping, keeps meticulous financial records, and thinks Vic Wooten is awesome. :)

Aside from his penchant for playing each song on a different guitar, and his sometimes-unhealthy attachement to his Marshall cabinets, he's a dream to work with.

I mean, how can I really complain when just as often as the above quotes, I'll hear this from him:

"Ok, this song is mostly in Db Lydian, except for the bridge section which is really more of an F Aeolian feel."

:)

"I'm not loud" was always my fav.

I played one guy who had an emulator pickup and box (like the Roland VBass) and it was like the record was skipping - he kept saying over and over "let me try this sound". Sometimes the changes were so stupid he should have known; sometimes they were so subtle that it didn't matter.

My current guitarists are atypical. When #2 joined for our first rehearsal, I had to force them to take solos after listening to "you can play it" "no that's ok, you can play it". This came from #2 not wanting to step on #1's toes, and #1 wanting to spread out the cool stuff.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

My current guitarists are atypical. When #2 joined for our first rehearsal, I had to force them to take solos after listening to "you can play it" "no that's ok, you can play it". This came from #2 not wanting to step on #1's toes, and #1 wanting to spread out the cool stuff.

I think they're closet bass players :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

"The old bass player was easy to work with. Why can't YOU be a doormat too?"

(the old guy missed gigs, threw tantrums on stage that involved turning his back and sometimes not playing, had a feel like a concrete truck that's sat full too long without the drum turning - but he never insisted on playing the tougher parts of multipart songs and was way crappier than the pretty bad guitarists. Which is what they liked about him.)

This quote here was taken from a cortex tap, BTW. It wasn't uttered in air (in my presence anyway).

All-time favorite--

"Something's wrong with the rhythm section. Mel, you're out the band."

Told to me at a special 'band meeting' after a wrecked gig when the drummer (a girl who'd been drumming for about 4 mos. as opposed to my 11 years as a bassist) came to the gig high, dropped her sticks twice... and cried behind the drumset instead of picking up more sticks.

Second place--

"Dude, you lost me."

Told to me by the new guitar player in my current band, after I asked him to play in Cm.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

"I turned up because everyone else is too loud."

"I can't play without my pedal board!" (This happened last week in the first song of a gig)

Me: "That's ok - all those effects have snuffed yer signal - you sound better with out em."

"But if I'm not loud enough, the rest of em can't follow me." (They should be following the bass).

Frank Zappa to Ike Willis after Ike 'tuned up' with a weedle-weedle-wee-wee- riff: "Spoo".

Nigel Tufnel: "the sustain, it goes on forever".

At last gig - "I'm getting a droning hum over here. Where are your mids set?"

It was one of his pedals.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Archived