Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headless basses...Steinberger only one?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

I've always thought the headless basses like the Steinbergers look totally cool. I've never actually played a Steinberger (never found one locally, although I've seen a few players locally play them) so I don't know what character their sound has (outside of hearing it through their rig and/or PA).

So, I'm curious about a few...what's the sound character like (both the original all composite Steinbergers and the Spirit series that are much less expensive and partially or mostly wood rather than composite)?

Also, are there other headless basses similar to the Steinberger? (Not Steinberger copies unless they're something really awesome.) And what are the sound character of any of these that you might have played?

Thx,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Westone "The Rail" I bought at a pawn shop for 15 dollars. Bought it as a joke, 'cause it looked so funny, but after doing some work on it, it's a killer bass for old school blues and country.

Really punchy tone. The middle bar with the pickup slides back and forth along the rails to change the tone. Forward is bassier, aft more trebly.

The Rail

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Originally posted by fig:

I have a Westone "The Rail" I bought at a pawn shop for 15 dollars. Bought it as a joke, 'cause it looked so funny, but after doing some work on it, it's a killer bass for old school blues and country.

Really punchy tone. The middle bar with the pickup slides back and forth along the rails to change the tone. Forward is bassier, aft more trebly.

The Rail

i had one of those. i wish i still did. i used it for an 80's new wave style band that never really got off the ground.

Originally posted by fig:

The Rail

:D

It's been 20 years since I've played a Westone "Rail" bass. I was a gear nut my junior and senior years of highschool, and had only just discovered a hole in the wall known as The Music Gallery a mile down the street from the highschool. They were, among others, a Westone dealer. Man those were interesting instruments. Even the pointy strat-copies were different. They featured an odd, satin finish on the neck that was smooooooth. I wanted a rail just because of the idea you could adjust the pickup to any position, but then lost interest entirely when I played one and it was... let's say less than I expected. The pronounced harmonic content of the synthetic Steinbergers with active, EMG electronics was nowhere on the "Rail" I played. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I own a Cort version of the Steinberger classic style headless. I'm looking to get rid of it if anyone's interested.

http://www.guitarshop.net/GuitarImages_i/cortspaceb2a4front1.jpg

http://www.guitarshop.net/GuitarImages_i/cortspaceb2a4front2.jpg

www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

I still own my original (1985 or 86 I think) composite body Steinberg. I just recently got it out of storage for some recording. I had bought new strings and when putting them on, one of the tuners striped. I am completely bummed. I got a buddy looking right now to see if I can get a new bridge for it. I figured if one goes the others can't be far behind.

Anyway the thing has its own particular sound but a good one. No dead spots anywhere on those necks and bottom for days. They also record really well.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

Originally posted by jpmiii:

I still own my original (1985 or 86 I think) composite body Steinberg. I just recently got it out of storage for some recording. I had bought new strings and when putting them on, one of the tuners striped. I am completely bummed. I got a buddy looking right now to see if I can get a new bridge for it. I figured if one goes the others can't be far behind.

Anyway the thing has its own particular sound but a good one. No dead spots anywhere on those necks and bottom for days. They also record really well.

they have both Spirit and Orginal parts

http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=Parts

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I always enjoyed the bright, full sound that original Steinbergers have. It both cuts through and sits in the mix at the same time, somehow. From Jamaladeen Tacuma to reggae, it covers a lot of range, style and tone wise.

I found the licensed copies to be less pleasing, there's not enough body mass to resonate as fully as a "normal" instrument IMO. This is also true of the Steinberger basses with conventional body shapes of wood, although they clearly have the mass. They just don't have the sound.

Someday, I'll own a composite model.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Westone: I had a Quantum headless. I wish I still did. Wonderful punchy tone. I seriously miss that bass.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by lug:

Originally posted by jpmiii:

they have both Spirit and Orginal parts

http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=Parts

Thanks, I will check that out. :thu:

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

• 4 months later...

Geddy Lee played a Steinberger XL-2 graphite series, circa 'Grace Under Pressure'

I have owned 3 Steinbergers. One, the first, was an XP-2, which was a graphite neck/bolt on wood body. It had some serious adjustment issues, and I traded it on something. The 2nd was a the Steinberger Strat style body ( wood, smoothed edges, not the sharper edged model) with bolt on neck. Excellent bass. I sold it to buy an XL-2, which was the original 'broomstick' bass, which was also excellent, but I agree with another poster on the bodyless designs shifting the way you judge spacing. You have to han gyour arm out at the elbow in a way that is different than any other bass I have played.

One other thing, all three I have owned were excellent to record with, plugged direct in. They have a really nice, punchy tone, especailly if you are a pick player.

The Hohners' are the only licensed full copies ( body and hardware) and they are ok, but the stock pick ups/electronics are trash.

If you can get a 'real' Steinberger, I'd say get it. Make sure it is not a 'spirit' series. Those are the cheapest ones. A used XP/XL or pre-Gibson Strat style would be best. They also made a 'Q' model that was similar to the Kubicki body ( but fatter) that can be foudn pretty cheap.

I have a Q model. When I first got it in 1991 I loved it. It even has the DB bridge which is pretty cool. I'm not to fond of it anymore. I'm not to keen on the headless look of it. It plays great and sounds great to. If it wasn't so ugly I'd probably play it more.

Originally posted by deanmass:

The Hohners' are the only licensed full copies ( body and hardware) and they are ok, but the stock pick ups/electronics are trash.

I'd agree with that. Stripping the finish off my Hohner Jack and defretting it really improved the tone but changing the electronics totally transformed it.

I spent my first three years of playing on a headless bass and it took quite a while to adjust to the different position and balance of a conventional instrument.

I've grown to appreciate the difference as both basses are set up very differently and sound very different - I treat the fretless almost like an electric upright, with its high action and more upright neck angle (and lack of frets!)

Alex

Bill Wyman played a Stienberger for awhile. He had his tech glue a pen cap on it so he'd have some place to put his cigarette.

Kids, don't start and if you do, quit (smoking that is, to quote Johnny Dangerously).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Hey folks:

I've always thought the headless basses like the Steinbergers look totally cool. I've never actually played a Steinberger (never found one locally, although I've seen a few players locally play them) so I don't know what character their sound has (outside of hearing it through their rig and/or PA).

So, I'm curious about a few...what's the sound character like (both the original all composite Steinbergers and the Spirit series that are much less expensive and partially or mostly wood rather than composite)?

Also, are there other headless basses similar to the Steinberger? (Not Steinberger copies unless they're something really awesome.) And what are the sound character of any of these that you might have played?

Thx,

Dave

We are the people our parents warned us about.

Archived