Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT 30+ name a cool new rock band challenge

Tenstrum

Just wanted to get the opinions of people my age and older on the newer bands coming out.

Challenge:

Name a band that has come out within the last 3 years that you think will be around for awhile.

By "come out", I mean not neccesarily a new band, but one that could have been around and just got recognized. No underground or garage bands. They at least need a song on national radio.

I like hearing new things and try to keep myself updated as much as possible. So you 30+ year old people, let's hear what you have to say about the newer bands.

I'll start with my pick and why I think they'll be around for the next 10+ years: The Hives. Catchy tunes and a hard work ethic usually spell long term success.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tenstrum:

Just wanted to get the opinions of people my age and older on the newer bands coming out.

Challenge:

Name a band that has come out within the last 3 years that you think will be around for awhile.

By "come out", I mean not neccesarily a new band, but one that could have been around and just got recognized. No underground or garage bands. They at least need a song on national radio.

I like hearing new things and try to keep myself updated as much as possible. So you 30+ year old people, let's hear what you have to say about the newer bands.

I'll start with my pick and why I think they'll be around for the next 10+ years: The Hives. Catchy tunes and a hard work ethic usually spell long term success.

Bands aren't allowed to "stay around" for any length of time anymore, only pop divas. :(

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Bands aren't allowed to "stay around" for any length of time anymore, only pop divas.
That is almost 100% true unfortunately...and the pop divas don't even have the decency to get naked in Playboy anymore... :P jk!

Any bands??

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Have you listened to, or seen, The Darkness? I don't know if they'll have staying power, but I was impressed with their overall presentation when I saw them on MTV recently. The kids in the crowd were going NUTS!

They're definitely going for the "old-school" angle, and I think doing it well. I could pick out influences ranging from Zepp to Queen to Cheap Trick, etc.,.

I have a strong suspicion these guys are one of the first out of the gate on a new 70's-80's type rock trend that we'll see come on hard in the next year as a backlash from the grunge/non-melodic/rap "material" that's everywhere now.

Ching...

$.02

As far as "new" bands go, I've been diggin' on Los Lonely Boys as of late. We've known about them for awhile down here in Texas, but they're fairly recent to the national scene. A lot of their stuff is closer to pop than rock, but they do have some rockin' tunes that have sort of a Carlos Santana meets Stevie Ray Vaughan flavor to them.

In any case, the tunes are catchy, their playing is great, vocals are spot on and they get some kickin' grooves going. Add to that the fact they're brothers (could be good or bad for longevity) and I think they'll be around for awhile.

I guess my nomination comes down to:

Originally posted by dcr:

(I qualify; do they?)

What DCR said!!! :D
Later..................

As to the question, I kind of like Switchfoot. (I qualify; do they?)

Switchfoot just recently hit it big (by which I mean a mainstream single), but they have actually been around for quite a while--about 10 years on a Christian label. I don't think that disqualifies them necessarily (Tenstrum will have to make that judgment), but I personally have been aware of them since the late 90s (which is over 5 years now!).

Not 30, but here I go.

Jet. I think I'll be around for atleast another record in the mainstream. They have the old school sound too and are extremely pop-a-liscious.

The Strokes. With 2 pretty good mainstream cds and the surge of old style music, these guys could very well be on there way to long term success.

In Skynyrd We Trust

No underground or garage bands. They at least need a song on national radio.

You lost me here. Music made with real passion and intelligence and heart is seldom heard on the national radio anymore. Underground is where you must look to find it, and there's plenty to be found. Unfortunately your attitude is prevalent in most places - "If it ain't mainstream, how can it be good?"

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

You lost me here. Music made with real passion and intelligence and heart is seldom heard on the national radio anymore. Underground is where you must look to find it, and there's plenty to be found. Unfortunately your attitude is prevalent in most places - "If it ain't mainstream, how can it be good?"
The reason for the national radio thing is so that everyone may have had a chance to have heard them. I can think of many garage bands around my area that should be heard, BUT 99% of the people on this forum wouldn't know who I'm talking about. MY ATTITUDE is that ALL GOOD music should be heard. Leave all this good/bad/garage stuff for other topics on the forum.

Now let's get back to the recommendations.

Tenstrum

I'm not impressed by Jet. My mom thought they were playing a song from her teenage years when they came on in the car. The whole "we're AC/DC, but without the guitar solos" thing wears thin on me, and they are way overplayed. Besides, doesn't it seem a little insincere?

I'm curious about the Darkness. I like them, I like the semi-retro approach they've taken, and I think they genuinely enjoy the rock. Those are all good points. But can they turn the novelty appeal of Permission to Land into something that people are going to continue to buy? There's lots of flash there. Not sure about how much more substance there is.

The White Stripes will be around for a long time. The Strokes will probably do the same. Modest Mouse has been around a while, but just recently got national airplay, and I've really liked their back catalogue.

But I don't think rock bands as a steady release phenomenon are nearly as successful as they might once have been. I have a hard time getting impressed by anybody's next CD. Like Yogi said, I'm more interested in my local underground rock scene--and they may or may not have a label appearance.

The reason for the national radio thing is so that everyone may have had a chance to have heard them. I can think of many garage bands around my area that should be heard, BUT 99% of the people on this forum wouldn't know who I'm talking about.

Sorry, still can't let you off the hook on this one. I'm not advocating just praising any neighborhood garage band that plays a rousing version of "Hey Ya!" at the high school dance. What I'm saying is that there are scores of artists out there that are making recordings that exceed, equal, or at least rival the classics that are so beloved by mainstream audiences. Some of these artists have been releasing albums and songs for a decade or more on their own, without one whit of radio airplay (and some of them, being over 30 themselves, probably have no prayer of EVER getting airplay). I would say that those artists are going to "stay around." Almost all of them have Web sites, and since this is an internet forum, and anyone posting here obviously has internet access, then anyone here who hasn't heard an artist mentioned can simply click a link to, as you put it, "have a chance to hear them." Sorry, but I believe clinging to the outdated idea that radio play is required to consider an artist valid and worthy of mention is harmful to all artists who truly care.

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Ok Yogi for the record I am advocating ONLY bands that have had AIRPLAY on at least a National level. Websites do not count! They can be just as obscure as a garage is. Maybe someone should start a garage band with websites thread if they haven't already. I'll post a couple of links myself. I DO NOT for one second believe that radio play validates an artist, if I did then I wouldn't believe in my own music...quit putting words into my mouth and please don't post unless its about the topic on hand.

Tenstrum

I meet the criterium, but I'm still catching up on tons of music I missed when I was younger(rock / punk rock background). funk, jazz, real country, alt country, zydeco, bluegrass, blues. Some bands are new, some are old. They all get me moving, and they all are way down the other end of the dial.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

So no one under-30 and no unsigned acts? Fascist. Too many rules here...
Sorry man, just want to know what people think who are my age and up and who also follow the guidelines I've laid down. :wave: Maybe you young whipper snappers should start a 30 and under thread. ;)

Tenstrum

I've really liked both of Lost Prophets CD's, they should be around for a while if they scrape enough record sales to avoid being dropped.

Unfortunately, being "around (and on top) for a while" means 4-5 years in most cases. Shelf lives for bands appear to be shortening, and that trend probably won't reverse for a while. That's one thing that amazes me about U2, they've been one of the biggest (and at times THE biggest) bands in the world for nearly 25 years now. Nobody else can even sniff that.

Ah, nice marmot.

I DO NOT for one second believe that radio play validates an artist, if I did then I wouldn't believe in my own music...quit putting words into my mouth and please don't post unless its about the topic on hand.

Mr. Tenstrum, re-read the posts and you'll see that I didn't put any words in your mouth. You clarified your position about radio play, and I understand that, and I meant no offense to you. I recognize that your own stated position about airplay and the stated purpose of this thread don't have any relation to each other. :D

I also understand that boards like this one and general posting "netiquette" aren't necessarily democratic and are supposed to be on-topic. While I think my positions raised in this thread are on-topic in this case, I can see how you might disagree, and so this soon-to-be-thirty-five(!!!)-year-old-whipper-snapper will keep his opinions about it to himself on this thread.

Let's see....

JET will be around for awhile. I was watching VH1 and MTV the other day. They are RAKING IN the royalties. They put on a brilliant show as well.

Los Lonely Boys. This band is AMAZING. They're presentation is incredible and the energy is very powerful. The three brothers are very tight and know their instruments inside-out. Talk about a washboard neck....

Now, Guster has been around for the past 8 years, but about 2 years ago they started getting real recognition. They songs are being played on TV, and they have been doing rallies for John Kerry ( a mistake in my opinion ;) )

White Stripes, Strokes, Hives etc aren't going to be around that long IMO. They need to learn to write melodies. The last time I saw the White Stripes was on TV, some award show with Jack White trying to shred on a heavily distorted resonator guitar.

I think I see Tenstrum's point in limiting the question to airplay bands. I don't see this as implying ANY value judgments at all. It's simply a way to say, "Are there any national acts that people in a certain demographic find much value in?" By limiting it to "national" acts, he both avoids the tedium of responses like, "Yeah, dude there's this band in my neighborhood who...," and also underscores the point that while lots of people in this demographic have lots of new bands they might like, it seems like relatively few of them are national. In a way, the question presupposes that people in this age group will be more interested in non-national acts. So it strikes me as perfectly fair to ask about their take on that other category of acts.

1. Silvertide -- their debut hits in September. They've either opened for or will be opening for Kid Rock, Van Halen, Aerosmith.

I saw them open for Kid Rock two weeks ago-- young, energetic EARLY 20s; put on a spectacular retro rock show-- long hair, no shirt, guitar god poses, drum solos, the singer even used a freakin wired mic!

With kiddies getting sick of the techno computer-created crap, and bands like Jet and the Hives paving the way for the return of four-piece white-boy rock, these guys are hitting the scene at the right time.

(Think Darkness without the falsettos or tongue-in-cheekiness).

2. Mudvayne-- I'd write these guys off, myself, but they've been known to put on 3-hour shows (good for fans) and are relatively proficient at their instruments (good for critics).

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

I think I see Tenstrum's point in limiting the question to airplay bands. I don't see this as implying ANY value judgments at all. It's simply a way to say, "Are there any national acts that people in a certain demographic find much value in?" By limiting it to "national" acts, he both avoids the tedium of responses like, "Yeah, dude there's this band in my neighborhood who...," and also underscores the point that while lots of people in this demographic have lots of new bands they might like, it seems like relatively few of them are national. In a way, the question presupposes that people in this age group will be more interested in non-national acts. So it strikes me as perfectly fair to ask about their take on that other category of acts.

Very well articulated :thu: You should be a lawyer :D
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

OK, I'll take the bait.

I'm 55. It is extremely rare for me to hear any rock that I like. My favorite band is Steely Dan, which should tell you a lot about me.

I no longer listen to anything by the rock bands that I like in my youth. (although Getz76 witnessed me jumping up and down for one band that I was a big fan of in 1968...but that was a one night thing).

So now that I'm past the intro, I nominate two bands, Dave Mathews Band and Ben Harper. Both of whom have probably been around for too long already to count in this survey.

And probably a few of you wiseacres will say that they have been around for too long already, period.

Norah Jones may be making records for a long time, but they will grow increasingly more boring. I think she's a one-trick pony.

Sheryl Crow will keep churning out the same fairly decent and fairly unoriginal record but with an every-growing cast of celebrity guests sitting in.

Diana Krall, now that she is married to Elvis Costello, seems ready to drop the smooth ballads and could become the next serious pianist/singer/songwriter in the Carole King mold.

And of course I hardly listen much to anything on the charts, anything rock, or anything mainstream, so what do I know anyway?

I'm 19 but i'm going to post anyway!

New-ish bands i think will last are:

Flaming Lips - Who mainy gained mainstream popularity after soft bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. (and yes i know they've been around for ages). Wayne Coyne made me realise that songwriting is an art and not just pointless strings of words bunged on the top of the good stuff. Check out the lyrics. So simple but so penetrating. :thu:

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism is a great album which has gained mainstream noteriety and I think these guys might have what it takes to last. Although I wish they'd scrap the shite name :rolleyes:

Keane - These will be the next band to hit the US like Coldplay and The Darkness did. Amazing Voice for a rock singer.

Snow Patrol - If Keane doesn't break America Snow Patrol definately will. I love Final Straw :thu:

I can't see the hives lasting, they'll run out of riffs soon enough ;)

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

OK, here are the bands that I think qualify by my rules:

Switchfoot

The Darkness

Los Lonely Boys

Jet

The Strokes

Lost Prophets

Mudvayne

Any other suggestions?

Tenstrum

Archived