Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT 30+ name a cool new rock band challenge

Tenstrum

i know i am not 30...but i have to vent that i am a bit surprised that the name Audioslave hasn't popped up yet. If it did then I missed it and I apologize. I know they have members of bands that dominated thru the 90s...but it is still a newly formed band, so that still counts, right?
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! Can't believe I forgot about them as well. Definitely adding them to the list.

Audioslave

Switchfoot

The Darkness

Los Lonely Boys

Jet

The Strokes

Lost Prophets

Mudvayne

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Keller Williams (he's one man band but a band nonetheless)

Ryan Adams (Puke my wife will be buying his records for many years, though he's not a band)

Cold Play

Derek Trucks Band

Susan Tedeshi (not really rock, but rockin blues)

Erin McKeown (Same as above)

Pink (I think) :D she seems to have staying power

Its hard to come up with someone in the last 3 years that hasn't already been around for quite a while.

I agree with

Ben Harper

Norah Jones (though she's not rock in my mind)

White Stripes

Jack Johnson

These will be around but have already been around

String Cheese Incident - (maybe if they don't implode like Phish)

Ani Difranco (she plays frock ;) and will for a long time)

Its kinda hard to come up with rock bands period. At least, thats what this thread is pointing out.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Hey...no one specified if any of the members were allowed to be in previously successful bands. If that were one of the conditions I would not have made the suggestion. Audioslave was formed less than 3 years ago...and they're good...so...

Yes, audioslave counts because they are a "new" band. Despite previous success with other bands.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Oh yeah...and since we're along the lines of Audioslave, I am gonna throw another one out there to get under Cliffburton's skin...hehe. How about Velvet Revolver? Nah...they're all in and out of rehab too much to survive much longer.

Oh yeah...and since we're along the lines of Audioslave, I am gonna throw another one out there to get under Cliffburton's skin...hehe. How about Velvet Revolver? Nah...they're all in and out of rehab too much to survive much longer.

Velver Revolver and Coldplay have been added to the list!

Velvet Revolver

Coldplay

Audioslave

Switchfoot

The Darkness

Los Lonely Boys

Jet

The Strokes

Lost Prophets

Mudvayne

Give me some more!!!

Tenstrum

To me, Audioslave and Velvet Revolver qualify as "supergroups". And supergroups don't tend to last too long before egos and management get in the way (or drugs, in the case of VR). There's a challenge...name a supergroup that lasts. :D

Coldplay is the only band I can think of that I think will stay around, simply because they've been successful right out of the gate and will still get some label support. I haven't even heard any of the other bands on the above list.

Personally, I think the nature of the industry makes this nothing but a fun guessing game. There are way too many factors involved that affect a band's longevity, the least of which is whether their music is any good or not. Too many great bands have come and gone with only one or two albums comprising their entire catalog for me to be able to tell who is going to stick around and have a career.

And remember, when rock and roll began, no one was thinking about or expecting to have a "career". Even the Beatles only lasted 6 or so years, Zeppelin lasted 10. Do they count as having stuck around since people still buy their albums?

supergroups don't tend to last too long before egos and management get in the way (or drugs, in the case of VR)
LAMO! That's usually the case, but we'll see!

Personally, I think the nature of the industry makes this nothing but a fun guessing game.
:D:thu: Right on!

Zeppelin lasted 10. Do they count as having stuck around since people still buy their albums?

Sure and they have long lasting sales power. :thu: I didn't mean stick around forever like Rush :D , but at least a decade or so. Keep'em coming! :thu:

Tenstrum

I saw this band called blue a couple months ago that seems to be going somewhere, I dug their music. Okay, I honestly don't know if these guys have been on television because I don't have cable, and I don't listen to the radio, but I saw them open for a Suicide Girls burlesque show. I think they were touring with them and they seemed to have fans in the audience. If I'd had five dollars I would have bought their CD.

Switchfoot. YES! I've been listening to this CD for the past year and now it's starting to hit. I bought it on a whim. $7.99 at Towers new/indie listening station. They're from north San Diego, I'm from north San Diego. I'll take it.

What a great album it is. When I went to check them out live they killed me. I'm 45 and generally disappointed in a lot of the stuff coming out now, but these guys are good.

I'm not a religious guy but I really like their inspirational message. They are very real... and very good.

Alright Lowdowners of the 30+ variety...I am copying and pasting a post that I made in the competing 30- thread and got no response from. So I will stick it here and see what you guys think. I am preparing my 25-year-old self for a bashing...haha...but here it goes:

I keep seeing a common word used in many of these posts about hot new bands and who will stay and who will flop...STAYING POWER. Let's be honest guys and girls; music is not the same as it used to be. Everything is so much more commercial now and things seem to evolve at such a rapid pace. Every month, some new band is coming out big and saying that they are some new kind of genre of music. That's because everyone wants to make it big by following the influence of others, but still have the satisfaction of feeling like they're something completely new and unique. It's almost to the point where every band has their own genre of music just like they have their own name. The point I am trying to make is that so very few bands nowadays have that "staying power" simply because it is not the nature of the industry anymore. Every label wants to have the hot new band playing under their name. Once that band becomes yesterday's news there's one right behind them ready to take their place. It all comes down to $$$ and what the record labels want us to hear. When you have a market that has become so competitive, it's kind of difficult to be top dawg for very long. Bands like Rush, Metallica, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc. that were around for years have a reputation that carried with them for all those years that bands today never really get a chance to build. And only in very rare cases do bands still have such a dynasty.

420, you're completely right, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Current nominees:

Velvet Revolver

Coldplay

Audioslave

Switchfoot

The Darkness

Los Lonely Boys

Jet

The Strokes

Lost Prophets

Mudvayne

Anymore?

Tenstrum

I'll add Chevelle Adam.

Chevelle

Velvet Revolver

Coldplay

Audioslave

Switchfoot

The Darkness

Los Lonely Boys

Jet

The Strokes

Lost Prophets

Mudvayne

Tenstrum

Im sorry guys but the white stripes have retired, after about 4 albums/ mini albums and audioslave have split up.

Im loving lost prophets though.

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

ok, Afroboy where are you getting your incorrect info at???

From MTV - 7/29/04

"When we played the last record, we had never even played a single live show together," Morello said. "Now we have over a year's worth of touring under our belts and the chemistry has developed further to make it more of a unique entity."

Audioslave have 22 songs written for their second record and are about halfway through recording them with producer Rick Rubin.

And The White Stripes are still on tour, adding new shows every week...

Tenstrum

Archived