Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass AMP question (Recommandations)

xvincex

Hello, I'd like some recommandations.

Here is the situation, I have an Ampeg B2R and an Ampeg 8x10, the thing is the head is wayyyy not enough powerful for the cab I have since I can clip very easily (I put the limiter on though so I make sure I don't blow up the speakers)

I'm looking forward to a more POWERFUL amplifier. Since I get my tone/sound from my Tech 21 SansAmp RBI (pre-amp), I'd like to know your recommendations as far as bass heads go for POWER. I kinda need to keep it as a 2 space head though otherwise that would **** up my rack.

I have the Fender 1200 Pro in mind and the SVT-3 Pro, any thoughts/opinions/recommendations??

Thanks - Vince.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a PA (class D?) power amp with adjustable gain (volume knob). It's been mentioned (do a search) that the tech 21 sans-amp BDDI lacks juice on the output so some extra gain might be needed.

To test the power amp gain, plug in your bass and BDDI and play (no speakers). If you can get the clip light you have enough gain.

I'm sure Robb. can add more...

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

sans-amp -> power-amp -> cab.

no head...no worries!

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

As a start, 2.5 to 3 times the rating of your cabinet (I've read that on the lowdown lowdown). Don't worry about the class -- just call it a PA amp not a Hi-Fi/audiofile amp.

It's very cheap and easy to hire one of these from a sound hire shop (as the amp is just about bullet proof). Take one to rehearsal and see how it goes.

Looks good to me.

The folk on this forum seem to obsess about weight and size for power amps -- suggesting that there isn't much difference in tone. There may be slight differences but generally head room (having more power than you need) is said to overcome most obstacles.

2.4kW into 8x10"!!! have fun :D

a search would have given you this answer

Originally posted by xvincex:

Since I get my tone/sound from my Tech 21 SansAmp RBI (pre-amp)

So you don't need the preamp part of a head. That really opens up your options.

I'd like to know your recommendations as far as bass heads go for POWER. I kinda need to keep it as a 2 space head though otherwise that would **** up my rack.

There are a few heads out with serious power, but they all cost more than an equivalent power amp. Most power amps are 2U nowadays.

I have the Fender 1200 Pro in mind and the SVT-3 Pro, any thoughts/opinions/recommendations??

OK, so the budget's about $1000?

Forgive me for shilling QSC again but I've been very impressed with my PLX 3002, so I'd recommend a QSC PLX 2402. 2400W bridged into your 8x10". If that seems OTT, consider the PLX 1602 - 1600W bridged. $899.99 and $699.99 respectively from Musician's Fiend. Both feature switchable clip limiters and subsonic filters (12dB/octave rolloff starting at 50Hz will keep your 8x10" very happy). And weigh 21lbs so your whole rack will weigh well under 40lbs - though that probably doesn't concern you if you're willing to move a refridgerator for a cabinet...

You will not believe how much better your rig will sound with all that power - more bottom, more clarity and it'll simply breathe better.

Mmmm, headroom...

Alex

The SansAmp RBI rack unit should have no trouble pushing a power amp. There is some discussion on if the Bass Driver DI pedal has enough juice. SansAmp says it should.

If you are using the RBI as your tone/preamp, I would just get a nice power amp - like a PLX and go SansAmp - power amp - cab.

QSC makes a fine amp. i wouldn't steer anyone away from the PLX series, but you can get the best price at life effects pro audio (i think it's at life-effects.com, but i'm not sure).

i am currently very, very happy with my Crest Pro 7200. it's a little expensive for most people, but i know where you can buy its little brother, the pro 5200, for $1099. fewer features and a hair heavier than the PLX amps, but the pure sound it produces is so much fuller and more detailed than the PLX that it is well worth it for many people. many people have also made the switch from PLX to the Crest CA9, which is very powerful and very heavy. i believe it is quite a bit less expensive than the Pro 5200, but i don't know where to get it.

any of these options would be great. and i definitely think they'd be better than buying a head to use its power amp. that is very inefficient use of money, given the PA amps you can buy for less with so much more power.

robb.

Wouldn't a PLX1602 be enough for my 8x10 considering it's 2x (1600watts@4ohms) my cabinet's handling, I'd have way enough headroom right?

And hummmmm I'm a little confused concerning the rear panel.

http://www.qscaudio.com/images/hi_res/PLX3402_back_hi.jpg

I'm kinda familiar with effects loop (send/return) now how would I connect my tuner/SansAmp with THIS rear panel? (PLX)

Wouldn't a PLX1602 be enough for my 8x10 considering it's 2x (1600watts@4ohms) my cabinet's handling, I'd have way enough headroom right?

Yes. I didn't know which variety of 8x10" you had so wanted to err on the side of headroom - the Ampeg Pro810 handles 1200W RMS and judging by the way power handling is rocketing up, I'd expect to see future 8x10" cabs to handle over 2000W RMS.

Using an amp with twice the cab's rating is a good compromise of headroom and safety. You'll go deaf before you get the PLX 1602 to clip through a cab that big!

Alex

And hummmmm I'm a little confused concerning the rear panel.

I'm kinda familiar with effects loop (send/return) now how would I connect my tuner/SansAmp with THIS rear panel? (PLX)

I'd plug your bass into the Sansamp input, the Sansamp main XLR output into the XLR input on the PLX, keep the second Sansamp XLR output for the DI, and use the FX loop send on the Sansamp to drive the tuner.

And set PLX's DIP switches to bridge mono, with clip limiter and 50Hz filter engaged on the left channel (I believe you should set the right channel's DIP switches to off).

Alex

for the DI? (sorry I'm french :P )

The XLR line you take out to the PA system or recording console.

Btw, it really would help if everyone filled in the 'location' bit in their profile. Prices vary a lot from country to country, especially Europe vs USA, and thus gear recommendations vary.

QSC amps are amazing value in the US, but less to in Europe. I imported mine (like much of my gear) from America save money.

Alex

Well I buy on eBay so it doesn't matter a lot, thanks for the help :)

I'm a big fan of the Mackie 1400i. Have had one FOREVER without ny problems, just gut wrenching clean power that is able to crush marshall full stacks like Godzilla crushes Tokyo.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Only one thing left, will I get a great sound with only a SansAmp RBI and the power amp? Will I have a pretty versatile/great sound?! I'm afraid of this because on my head I currently have some bass/mid/treble and an EQ as a preamp with the RBI preamp...

I actually want a tube-like with slight distortion sound.

Just wondering.

good sound in = good sound out.

Assuming you have an adequate bass, you should be able to get a good sound out of an adequate rig. More of the sound is in your hands than in your bass head.

Reading from the top, I'm surprised you need more power than you already have; I played an Ampeg 8x10" for years being driven by a 300-watt head. If the thing was any louder, it would have been classified as illegal. I have also driven that same cabinet with a 100-watt head and it was plenty loud.

What does your EQ look like?

- on the B2R?

- on the RBI?

- on your bass?

I'm guessing you're boosting the low-EQ for all three. If that's the case, there are several problems; first, low frequencies take a lot more power to produce than other frequencies and your apparent volume may diminish due to this and second, you are probably pushing the limits of the cabinet if you are boosting the lows significantly and increasing your power would basically do nothing more than spell doom for the cabinet you have.

If you want tube-like sound and lots of volume, why not just get the matching head to go with the cabinet?

Well, my guitarists both have Mesa Triple Rectifiers head so I kinda need more bass power.

Getting new guitarists is generally easier and cheaper.

Again, what does your EQ look like? If you can't get enough volume out of that cabinet with 350-watts, I highly doubt you will get much more volume with 1,600 watts without blowing the speakers. It's a sealed cabinet and I'm a bit leary of the 800-watt RMS rating.

Are you guitarists playing through single 4x12" cabinets or two 4x12" cabinets?

If it's the latter, you might actually need more speaker.

Archived