Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Schroeder

dont

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.

Here\'s a link.

Angled woofers seem to be a consistent feature in his cabinet designs? Why?

And they're not downward firing like I've seen in other cabs (e.g., Mesa Walkabout combos).

And they're not upwardly tilted so my ears and not just my knees can listen to bass goodness.

They're angled to the side.

The "big" cabs are all about 75 lbs. (3x10, 4x10, 2x10 + 1x12) and the "small" cabs are all about 45 lbs. (2x10, 2x12, 1x10 + 1x12).

They all seem to be two-way cabs, even if three speaker sizes are used. However, I can't tell for sure from a quick visit to the website.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I think he's trying to achieve some rather bizarre port-tuning/horn-loading gymnastics, by having the port and one woofer fire into a very short horn. The reviews so far suggest that he's managed to get a lot more bottom and volume than you'd expect out of a compact cab.

The 1212 (2x12") is particularly impressive based on the (incomplete) specs:

23W X 16H X 16D (1/2" taller than an Acme Low-B2 but otherwise identical in size); 48lbs (2lbs lighter than a Low-B2); 1000W RMS (though I seriously doubt they'll handle 1000W @ 30Hz without overexcursion!); 40hz - 18khz (how many dB down?)

Perfect for sitting vertically under my vertical Acme stack for LOUD gigs, but would I ever need that much volume?

At $600 for any of the small cabs I think anyone in the market for a new rig should at least check these out.

Alex

Thanks, C. Alex, for the thoughts on the side-angled woofers.

Claberonious Phunk mentions:

...the (incomplete) specs...

Yup. I'd like a little more spec info on the website -- i.e., technical data and discussion.

It would be fun to A/B/C these w/ Acmes and AccuGrooves. The "small" boxes all look interesting, and the "big" box I'm most curious about is the one w/ two 10s and one 12.

Obviously the pricing is competitive w/ Acme and less expensive than AccuG. BUT, how do they sound?!?!?

Anybody going to the summer NAMM show who's willing to give these cabs a listen? :thu:

Peace. :cool:

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Wow, thanks for the link and info... looking forward to some more info when available.

Might be just the ticket to augment my Acme when I'm outside or in a larger room.

Sure beats hauling my lead-reinforced/pre-poured concrete-construction 1X15 cabinet up to my 2nd story apartment at 3:00 in the A.M.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Unique and new porting? A price level one step lower than AccuGroove? Yellow name tags? Is anyone else wondering what I'm wondering?

Hey Whappo - who was your favorite Charlie Brown character - the musician?

Hmmmm

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm using a Schroeder 1210 !!!!

I'm using a Yamaha PB-1 and a Crown CE1000 bridged @ 4 ohms into it (1100 watts).

It's got all the punch of my old BagEnd stack but with much more bottom... AND louder!

Jorg is a great guy to boot! (btw: he has more specs but he's got another engineer verifying before posting)

Originally posted by speddling:

I'm using a Schroeder 1210 !!!!

I'm using a Yamaha PB-1 and a Crown CE1000 bridged @ 4 ohms into it (1100 watts).

It's got all the punch of my old BagEnd stack but with much more bottom... AND louder!

Jorg is a great guy to boot! (btw: he has more specs but he's got another engineer verifying before posting)

Cool! BTW, do you know who that UGLY mofo is on their player's page? Third guy down? With the bass that lacks a decent amount of frets? :confused:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

Cool! BTW, do you know who that UGLY mofo is on their player's page? Third guy down? With the bass that lacks a decent amount of frets? :confused:

not sure... but the wife says he needs to quit messin round on the net and get some work done :eek:

wassup Lug?

Originally posted by speddling:

Originally posted by lug:

not sure... but the wife says he needs to quit messin round on the net and get some work done :eek:

wassup Lug?

just gellin....like a felon.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 2 months later...

I'm guessing these are pretty incredible cabs for the price. That quasi-horn really isn't a REAL HORN LOAD like some of the yapyap that's gone around. But like my Ampeg Extreme, it does allow one to leverage a little 1/4-waveform coupling for some boost of lower freqs - especially when the porting/venting is also included within it. It's also a real TIGHT sound for the frequencies it handles - well damped (not dampened*).

The cab should also have a good amount of added lower mids because these chambers tend to act a little like bandpass boxes, where the energy above a certain freq is really rolled off. So the "filtered" energy from any speakers inside that chamber, consisting mainly of TRUE bass and lower midsm is going to be added to the full-spectrum energy coming off the directly radiating woofer. Good way to get a richer sound and some SPL at the tougher freq's without adding too many phasing problems.

Ya know -

We wait weeks, maybe months, to read of GB's wit and wisdom...frothing at the bit, hoping against hope that the 'invisible one' will grace us with his presence...

..and he leaves us with -

http://www.helionprog.com/pics/temp/chia.jpg

Thank the BassGods for small favours (and an uncanny sense of humour!)

Jim

It's ALL good!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

JBFLA,

Extending the backhand is always an aid to a good game ; }

Others,

I am shocked nobody has anything interesting to say about the Schroeder cabs. At the very least they are a new wrinkle on the scene and are sure to be good performers in their respective weight classes. For a bunch of people who always bend over frontwards to expose their GAS, this is pretty pathetic ; }

Aaaahh!!!

Why did you have to show these!?

I am in the market for a new cabinet, and so far the cabinets that interested me have been the Acme Low-B2 and the Mesa 2x12... I had just decided to order the Mesa once my paycheck comes, and now I suddenly have one more cab to ponder upon... So many cabs, so little money... So, anywho, what do they sound like?

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

JanJ,

Wow - Faroe Islands! I know a [would-be] programmer/ software developer there who has shown me some incredible fotos of the natural landscape, and how life in the towns/villages is. Very interesting! Profundly, it looks like an incredible place to pony trek or x-country ski.

As much as I like Mesa's revitalized slant, I'd give the Schroeder cabs a try without even hearing them if I was in the market right now and looking in that price range and wieght class. A fair number of credible people have, and though the company itself has not been able to explain coherently what their sonic advantages are, I am confident that there are some.

Always remembering, that in the end, it is what we MAKE it, and that we can be very adaptable beings as well.

Ah no - not another PM : } ...I was hoping people would ask these on the forum so that my mangled answers could be shared by all ; } ...Indeed, I've been trying to find appropriate threads to address some of the PMs that have come in.

EDIT: Hopefully that will help you. But onsite analysis is usually the only way for one or both of us to not be frustrated. Some power amps sag after really getting hit hard too, or if starved of sufficient AC do not perform up to snuff.

Wow - Faroe Islands! I know a [would-be] programmer/ software developer there who has shown me some incredible fotos of the natural landscape, and how life in the towns/villages is. Very interesting! Profundly, it looks like an incredible place to pony trek or x-country ski.
Oh, really? What's that guy's name? It's one of those everyone knows everyone countries...

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

I am officially out of the speaker hunt (for now). I purchased another LB-2 a few months ago and the sound I have been getting is stunning. I don't know if it is the new tweeters or if my beloved Sadowsky is sounding sweeter with age or what. Andy Lewis must have put some industrial strength voodoo on this cabinet.

I have no comment on the Chia Pet Foam Power Puncher 5000 1/2

:rolleyes:

Archived