Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

history of bass guitar...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Look out, I'm giving academic advice)

Depending on the size required of the presentation, I'd narrow the subject as much as possible. Like the wise dcr alluded to, keep it on electric bass guitar instead of bass, and even narrow it further to "advances in bass guitar" or something like that. This will allow more you to get more details in the presentation, and teachers equate details with effort.

The advent of roundwound strings, active pickups, neck-thru, string-thru-body, use of exotic woods . . . etc are all advances I'd cover.

Ah, nice marmot.

I really enjoyed DCR's suggestion. Very structured. Looks like you can't go wrong with that. Keep things concise.

Make sure you share the slideshow when you're done. Let us know if you need someone to host it on the web for you.

i have just changed it to "Advancements in bass guitar".

i dunno how i could post it online, since it's a power point presentation

:confused:

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

>* When did it begin? Why did anyone feel the need to invent it, and who did?

>* Is it a kind of guitar, or a kind of bass?

>* What's the basic "layout" of the instrument? What are the basic parts? How do you get sound out of it?

* What's the right way to hold it?

* How is its history related to that of electric amplification?

>* How has the ability to amplify the bass changed the way people make music?

>* What are some of the major technical innovations in bass-making?

* What artists have contributed to it musically, and how? Are there any bass virtuosos? Anyone the average person might have heard of?

>* What different playing techniques have people come up with, and what's their purpose?

>* What sorts of roles do basses play in musical combos? Is there any music that specifically features the bass?

* What does sheet music for the bass look like? Chord charts? What's the difference? How much is read, and how much is improvised?

* Is it very difficult to learn? Do you need any special physical characterstics or skills?

* Why frets? Why fretless? Why one number of strings or another?

i personally don't know only one of those...how is bass sound produced as compared to guitar and high piched sounds??

i've searched the web, and can find nothing

the questions with ">" next to them are ones that i will include, since all of them would make it too long.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

forceman-

the closest university library is 20 mins away. i have to study for finals this weekend, and i can't drive for a few more months. i think that the info that you guys (girls) have given me, is extremely helpful.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

BTW,

i need the official names of the people that gave me advice or facts to help me out here, becuase i need to have a "Credits" page. unless u just want me to call you by some random name on the presentation (my teacher wouldn't let me put up wierd s/n's, she would call me crazy).

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Archived