Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

American Idol winner: Wow!

I am as cynical as anyone can get as far as these series are concerned until I heard that girl Fantasia sing at the finale!

Wow, that young gal is amazing. :thu:

I am extremely critical of vocalists (even some 'stars') but this gal is out of this world.

My only grievance about these shows is the fact that participants, even after months of national coverage and exposure, are expected to compete with other artists who haven't got the same exposure by any stretch of imagination, ON THE SAME CHARTS! :confused:

That can't be fair.

However, it's good 'television', as a spectacle. Fantasia Barrino, more power to you woman. You can sing. :thu:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO...

I watched the final episode and although she is very talented I dont think she deserves all the accolades that will be thrown at her....the same goes for the runner up..they both went out of key a few times during their finals which happens to the best of them...

I did not see any of the other episodes but read that there where a few huge upsets.....

I've been to a few weddings and many bars and have seen vocalists that where just as good if not better than Fantasia..

I am not looking forward to the next few months of having the music of Fantasia rammed down our throats... :(

But with all that said ... good for her..Its an oppurtunity of a lifetime and she did what she had to do to win it all....

www.danielprine.com

I couldn't be more indifferent about "American Idol"--until I heard Fantasia Barrino. I tuned in one night to the end of the show & heard her singing "Something to Talk About." It was better than the original, & sounded like it had been written for her. From then on, I had to see what happened to her. If you've followed, you've heard her sing songs like "Always on My Mind," "Grapevine," "Summertime"...and not only are her skills always solid--unlike MANY of the finalists--but she has incredible energy, works the crowd, and makes every song her own. She's good.

The choosing of the finalists was a complete sham. LaToya London & George Huff should've been in the final 3. Diana did come a long, long way by the end of the contest--she was a serious contender by that point--but still. And I just can't fathom the whole Jasmine thing.

BTW, Fantasia is from North Carolina.

PS The only time I heard her sing an iffy note was during her very last song--when she was singing while sobbing for joy.

I didn't even know WOW was one of the contestants. :confused:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I agree about the one "iffy" note. Fantasia has great pitch. I saw the whole thing, all of the episodes. That was the only time her pitch faltered and she was crying. Fer crissakes, the girl can sing. Why don't you want to give it up to her? Wedding singer? I've been to many weddings, played in many, many and played with world class recording artist vocalists. She's top class man. Fantasia doesn't have to look up to anybody like that. She's got it going on.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Fantasia doesn't have to look up to anybody like that

You're right she doesn't... but if she's smart she'll keep that type of attitude in check..

What does " like that " mean anyway ?

www.danielprine.com

"Like that" refers to other singers of that ilk. "That" are the wedding singers, club singers or any variety of medicore weekend warrior types or even professional singers that I thought you were referring to. She's all that. She doesn't have to stand in the wings for anyone.

I get frustrated when people of excellence push other peoples buttons simply because they are excellent. If they KNOW they are excellent they push their buttons even more. But you have to know how good you are in order to be that good. But you have to lie. You have to pretend that you're not that good otherwise you're gonnna push some fragile ego buttons. But ultimately it's not the performers problem. It's the problem of those who got their buttons pushed.

Most of the truly great musicians I've known, and I've known a few, don't have to apologize for being as good as they are. They've worked hard to achieve what they have. They've earned the right to be arrogant. If they truly ARE that good I'll give it to them. Sure it'd be nice - a little humility goes a long way, but for me it's not a requirement.

Now you want to talk about diva type lead singers and attitude! You'd think that being an arrogant bitch would be a requirement.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

When people of excellence push other peoples buttons most people I know usually walk away with very negative thoughts...

They've earned the right to be arrogant

Right... :thu: ....according to who ?

...arrogance is a sign of ignorance no matter what profession....

I dont care how great they might be or how hard they worked.... we all work hard

humility is a requirement for me and those near to me...

I make every effort to stay as far away from playas who KNOW they are good...... they have proved to be nuthin but trouble....

You'd think that being an arrogant bitch

would be a requirement.

Its hard to predict - they usually turn into arrogant bitches after the cash and perks start rolling in....

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by 57pbass:

When people of excellence push other peoples buttons most people I know usually walk away with very negative thoughts...

They've earned the right to be arrogant

Right... :thu: ....according to who ?

Me, of course. Hey, it's merely a matter of opinion man.

All I know is that the greatest artists of all time, many have been arrogant pricks. Many have not been. But being an arrogant prick has nothing to do with the quality of their art. From Mozart to Miles Davis. The art is what remains to speak. Not the artists themselves.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I just don't understand that if someone is that good and works that hard to be that good and therefore knows he's that good why that would push your buttons? I like to celebrate the brilliance in people. Human efforts to expand the edge of ability. I like to see someone try to achieve something great. But there are always legions of people throughout history who are intimidated by those who point in deeper directions. Could be something great or merely something better than the efforts they themselves have put out. they're probably just being reminded of their own inadequacies and failures.

But let's not get confused with what I'm talking about. Most arrogant pricks are just fronting because they really DON'T have the ability. They just want you to think that they do. I'm not talking about those characters. I'm not talking about those guys who buy a Hummer to make up for the fact that they have a small penis. I'm not talking about the local guy who plays fast but thinks he's Ynwie. I'm talking about the truly talented or hard working and amibitious artist who's doing this because he's driven. This is every waking moment of his life and acts as though his survival depends upon it. That's who I'm talking about.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry, you're wasting your breath. Sure , we all value brilliance. But of course when brilliance takes someone all the way, there must be something wrong. They must have a bad attitude. They must have stepped on others to get there. We don't even have to look at the person to find out. You can just know there's a problem. There has to be. It's a catch-22: there aren't enough talented people around, but of course any rumor of "talent" must actually be just some prick getting an unfair advantage & acting like the prick they really are.

Brilliant people aren't our heroes any more. If you want people to call you a hero, your best bet is to be passively victimized.

PS The point of the charts isn't to make fair awards, like getting gold stars from the teacher. It's to represent who's selling.

PPS Surely singing without simultaneously playing an instrument is a worthwhile talent. I sure hope so, since I play an instrument without simultaneously singing, & I see no relevant difference between the two.

Originally posted by dcr:

Brilliant people aren't our heroes any more. If you want people to call you a hero, your best bet is to be passively victimized.

Whew! That's saying a mouthful. Unfortuntely I think a lot of what you're saying is right on the money.

There seems to be this downward spiral of ability. The slacker mentality has really taken hold. It's like a bunch of crabs in a bowl pulling the crab making his way out back into the bowl.

"We all suck!" And when one person says, "Hey wait a minute! I don't suck." They grab him and say, "Yes you do! You're just like us. You suck! Don't ever aspire to be anything better than this."

The emotional level of society is so low that the best most can confront is "being a victim." Whew.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I can't believe people actually watch this show, I've never seen it.

And as regards to humility being a requirement, we could make a list of brilliant musicians who were not easy to get along with.

Let's start with:

Benny Goodman and Buddy Rich.

Here's a quote you may enjoy:

"The three worst sons of bitches in the world are Hitler, Frank Sinatra, and Buddy Rich - and two of them are in my band!" - Tommy Dorsey

Well she would have done really well . . . .

...and she is really really a fraud...

Britney is/was a very talented young lady, but evidently nowadays her voice is less important to her... I have heard that there are videos floating around of her singing as a child, and she really has an amazing voice.

Well she would have done really well . . . .

...and she is really really a fraud...

:D

You know, the funny thing is that I never watched the show before, either. The only time I ever watched was when I was putting in a new floor last year, had the TV on for company, & was too busy to change the channel. It was down to a handful of finalists, and some of them were just gawdawful...I mean really, really bad. So that pretty much reinforced my hunch that it wasn't worth watching.

This year, there were two people especially on the show that I like enormously: Fantasia Barrino & George Huff. These are talented people, and I started watching because I liked seeing them. I would buy their CDs. (And I almost never buy new CDs!)

That is, provided their management doesn't fill the CDs with the sort of inane drivel that Ruben Studdard found himself singing at the finale. The song was written for him, and is one of the dumbest songs I've ever heard. I swear he looked embarrassed. I doubt he has the right to refuse to sing it.

jeremyc originally wrote:I can't believe people actually watch this show, I've never seen it.

And as regards to humility being a requirement, we could make a list of brilliant musicians who were not easy to get along with.

Let's start with:

Benny Goodman and Buddy Rich.

Here's a quote you may enjoy:

"The three worst sons of bitches in the world are Hitler, Frank Sinatra, and Buddy Rich - and two of them are in my band!" - Tommy Dorsey

I unapologetically watched it. My family likes it. What can I say? Not even a guilty pleasure. I liked it. I suppose I'd say you shouldn't criticize what you haven't seen, but it IS/WAS mostly tripe. Except that Fantasia is exceptional.

That's a great quote. Miles Davis was a big d**k. Mingus I know from first hand. Mozart was a complete a$$hole. Personality has nothing to do with ones ability to play. Sometimes the bigger the a**hole the harder he has to work to prove himself so he won't always have to spend his time extricating his foot from his mouth.

Hey! Whatever it takes. I prefer great art.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Originally posted by dcr:

Whew! That's saying a mouthful.
I ditto Henry. dcr is exactly right.

Britney is/was a very talented young lady, but evidently nowadays her voice is less important to her...

I had the misfortune of seeing her live...

she was very bad and boring ..

it was a long show..even my nieces thought she was bad and they dragged me there...

I saw early footage of her and agree she was very good....

I wonder what happens??? do they get too comfy at the top??? do they have too much bling bling to even care anymore??

www.danielprine.com

Archived