Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'Bassists are the coolest on stage coz they smoke ganja' - Yeah right!

I quit herb about 3 years ago. It was amazing how many "friends" stopped calling on me once the word got out that I didn't party anymore. Give me a cup of joe in the AM, a good german beer for dinner and I am happy and my basses and guitars... oh yeah I rigged a 15 inch speaker under my floor joists in my home in an attempt to create a built in subwoofer... THE WALLS DO SHAKE!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tarkus:

oh yeah I rigged a 15 inch speaker under my floor joists in my home in an attempt to create a built in subwoofer... THE WALLS DO SHAKE!

That

IS

FREAKING

AWESOME!!!

:D:D:D:D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by tarkus:

oh yeah I rigged a 15 inch speaker under my floor joists in my home in an attempt to create a built in subwoofer... THE WALLS DO SHAKE!

Just find any King Tubby album or an album called 'Jesus Dread (1972-77)' by Yabby You and play along. :D

If/when the police come, don't say I didn't warn you. Serious basslines! :D:D

But it might be a good show nonetheless; GWAR, anyone?
nice! GWAR is an awesome band :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

If there's anything I'm tired of, (and believe me, there's plenty), its the connection of musicians (in general) and mary jane. As soon as marajuana enters the picture, music is transformed from the primary focus to a way to pass time as the buzz kicks in. If beer or other alcahol is available, I'll happily indulge in a few longnecks (while, of course, watching my watch so that I can drive home sober). A little alcahol seems to take the edge off of tension while the groove sets in.

What makes me really nuts is that many folks assume, either for coolness' sake or otherwise, that I smoke because I jam.

Not to mention the fact that if you're around somebody who's smoking ganja, the scent sticks with you...

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I MIGHT have a Crown before a gig, but 99% of the time all I do is drink water. I get really hot when I play and like to keep hydrated. Keep the ice water coming for me, thank you.

The only smoke I've had is the second hand crap from my surroundings. Never put any kind of cig to my lips.

The way I look at it, I'm being paid (not much, but something most nights) to play for this bar, corporate party, etc. and I need to be sober and professional. I wouldn't show up to my "day job" drunk or high, why would I do it for my gigs?

One of the reasons I left my last band was the fact that the image that was being portrayed on stage (drunk performances, lots of inappropriate language and behavior, etc.) wasn't one I wanted to be associated with.

If you want a responsible player, who will show up on time, help out with set up and tear down, and play solid parts, then give me a call.

sheesh...another 'if you do/don't do this, you suck' pissing match.

if you smoke, cool. if you don't, cool...but, if you don't, quit the friggin' preaching, and if you do, don't let it get outa hand...i've been there/done that on both sides of the coin.

this is a bass forum, i thought, not an Us vs. Them...

Or as drunks. Or as lazy, or chronically unemployed (or unemployable), or as losers, or as failed dreamers, or as big kids unwilling (or unable) to grow up and get a real life.

Why can't we just be known as musicians?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

getz76...

"It is annoying when the general public views the mass of musicians as a bunch of stoners, though."

wraub...

"Or as drunks. Or as lazy, or chronically unemployed (or unemployable), or as losers, or as failed dreamers, or as big kids unwilling (or unable) to grow up and get a real life.

Why can't we just be known as musicians?"

all too true, but, then again, many politicians, mostly republicans, are lumped together as morally bankrupt, scumsucking, inbred idiots that pander to the dollar uber alles, steal elections with the help of family members, defecate on the working poor and fight the right war on the wrong country...oh, yeah...they are and do...i forgot... ;)

must've been the pot... :freak:

anyway, see how generalizations can do nothing but alienate?

i know many musicians that play wonderfully altered, many that play wicked pissah without, and some in both camps that should change sides.

it's all relative, IMHO, as long as you can deliver the goods.

Originally posted by daofktr:

... Anyway, see how generalizations can do nothing but alienate?

i know many musicians that play wonderfully altered, many that play wicked pissah without, and some in both camps that should change sides.

it's all relative, IMHO, as long as you can deliver the goods.

The bit about generalizations is valid, and a sore point that irks me. Too much division going on in the world already. Generally. :D

The rest is spot on.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Holy cow! I smoked pot during many years!. In little dosis it is cool and great, the same to practice as to play. But the problem is you can't control it. Once I had a bad experience playing at a gig for the inauguration of a bar in a Caribbean Island. We went to the roof of the bar during the pause. The sky was full of stars, unbelievable, and the guitar player got some of his stuff out. It turned out to be strong, and suddenly on stage I got a paralizing stage fright. I ended up playing just on pure discipline, but it was really no fun and I did not absolutely enjoy it, to say the least. I'll never forget that. Another time during a rehearsal, my best friend (a guitar player) got stoned and then fell on the drum set. He could not stop laughing. Problem is I think specially that if the emotional atmosphere inside or around you is fine, then everything is ok. If not, then a "bad journey" or as you call it can ruin your night. :( But I should also mention the positive experiences, which were not 2 but thousands, some wonderful. I don't believe it is something for anyone, but you should not either satanize it. :cool: By the way, I don't smoke it since about 15 years. ;) Only some red wine now and then. :D

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

I repeat, if you abuse ganja, you'll get spanked bad! :eek: I know many musicians who smoke and remain cool, calm and 'collected'. Playing superbly. :thu:

I also know a keyboard playing friend (R.I.P) of mine who simply fell over his keyboard the entire show after smoking. :D

Leave it to the 'chosen' ones. ;)

lol the subwoofer is great idea!,,,beside that weed just slows u down! and messes with ur cerebral fluid slowing down the connections with brain cells. Also increases the chances of cancer, look at Bob Marley! We know he did alot of weed and die of cancer(yes i know on his toe).So no need for weed, Weed=slowness and maybe death.

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

Wanting to alter consciousness is not just a human trait. Elephants will travel 40 miles to eat fermenting fruit and get drunk. Where I grew up in California, birds were always flying into our houses windows after getting high on pyracanthia berries. Why do we play music? For me its that occasional transporting "magic moment". Not so different from the reason for smoking pot or drinking. Our band is composed of three people under 30 and three people over 40. Everyone enjoys a beer and three of us enjoy the occasional toke. No one smokes during a gig except the piano player, dreads an all; but he's one of those guys that you can't tell when he's stoned. We don't say anything because he delivers- he's gotten pretty good at Prof. Longhair and thats not piano 101. I can't play stoned and don't try and I don't see how anyone can- but I have seen it done. Part of the reason I left my last band was that the drummers timing went to hell on his 3rd beer and he wouldn't keep it to 2 beers.

As for why its not legal, that goes back to increasing the value of Mr. Hearst's timber holdings in the 30's. And really, could you seriously see this administration proposing any legislation that didn't further restrict civil liberties?

www.ethertonswitch.com

I can't play drunk, I get too lethargic, and somebody mentioned sticky fingers on another thread. Playing Stoned never bothered me. I've never felt the paranoid nervous thing though. I can see how that would throw you off. Also, I play with a band who is mostly improv and not so much remembering syncopations. However,That said I'm the guy who does most of our recordings and mixes (the resident geek if you will). There's no way I can mix while stoned or while drinking, everything sounds good. Its real hard to be objective.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived