Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'Bassists are the coolest on stage coz they smoke ganja' - Yeah right!

People keep saying bassists are cool, calm and laid back coz they smoke too much weed. :D:D

Mmmh, I wonder. I have many hilarious stories from friends who've 'walked with lions' after smoking ganja. :D:D

Do you have any stories? ;)

Marijuana is literally legal in most European countries, if one has it in small quantities for personal use. :eek: Why isn't this the case in America yet?

I am from the school of thought that states that, 'If you abuse ganja and do not give it due respect, it will spank you'! :mad:

In otherwards, don't abuse it!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

[/QB]Marijuana is literally legal in most European countries, if one has it in small quantities for personal use. :eek: Why isn't this the case in America yet?

[/QB]

Well, America is full of puritan neocons who are afraid of losing control of their constituency by legalizing minor drugs such as Marijuana. Well, maybe thats a bit of a leftist POV...

Honestly, I think Elvis is behind it all... He's controlling everything via radio from mars. There, that makes more sense.

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

"I dont buy toys. I buy tools."

Everyone thinks im rockin the icky sticky when im playin, but ive never touched the stuff in my life. I just dont have the ego of a guitarist to get in people's faces about my playing.
We distort. You abide.

Alan Davies (British comedian) had a great theory about why alcohol is legal and weed isn't.

There's more money to be made of alcohol. Drunk people are more likely to start fights, break things and each other etc. So you need police, glaziers, furniture makers, prison guards, judges, lawyers, doctors, nurses...(I could go on).

On the other hand if everyone just got stoned all weekend then the only people making any money would be the Rizla and the biscuit (cookie) cartels. It's a simple case of economics.

I wrote my undergrad dissertation on the economics of addictive drugs. If you want to discuss this topic further then drop me a PM as I will be redefining the term "OT" if I carry on here.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Shouldn't you be practicing?
DCR, do you practice ALL DAY? :confused: As a matter of fact, I'd just finished practice when I posted. Sometimes I don't stop till 4am! :eek:

Are you a bass teacher by any chance? Lighten up bredren. :)

Originally posted by NickT:

I wrote my undergrad dissertation on the economics of addictive drugs. If you want to discuss this topic further then drop me a PM as I will be redefining the term "OT" if I carry on here.

Oh, I dunno 'bought that. The history of drugs & music have long been intertwined. Please rant away :freak:

Whoever said bass players smoke more ganja probably actually meant something like, "bassists are so cool and they got that groove and feel, its like they smoked ganja"

Maybe the ordinary person needs to smoke pot to feel that way, while us bassists can get there simply by doing what it is our job to do.

That being said, I wouldn't ever abuse the ganja, as stated earlier...

but its nice to groove when ur stoned

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I've only smoked weed three times in my life - at age 15, age 19 and age 26. Threw up violently every time. Decided it wasn't for me. Hard to groove when you're puking your guys out ;)

Now beer - I loved the beer. So much, in fact, that I had to give it up and haven't touched the stuff in almost ten years :)

People keep saying bassists are cool, calm and laid back coz they smoke too much weed. :D:D

I am from the school of thought that states that, 'If you abuse ganja and do not give it due respect, it will spank you'! :mad:

In otherwards, don't abuse it!

Dude, I don't need any drugs to play! PERIOD.

Anything that I experience in life, from reading, to watching the news, to talking to folks face to face has a much greater and better effect than any drug will ever give you. Life itself is the best drug. :)

Originally posted by Rik:

I've only smoked weed three times in my life - at age 15, age 19 and age 26. Threw up violently every time. Decided it wasn't for me. Hard to groove when you're puking your guys out ;)

But it might be a good show nonetheless; GWAR, anyone?

Now beer - I loved the beer. So much, in fact, that I had to give it up and haven't touched the stuff in almost ten years :)

Not so bad for your liver or your waistline, eh? What did Homer (Simpson, that is) say? "To beer, the cause of and solution to most of life's problems."

In all seriousness, I never understood why people link drugs and music as if it's something "special." People do drugs. People listen to music. If there wasn't music, people would still do drugs.

I don't smoke. I drink socially. When I gig, I never drink before or during my set. That's just the way I am. I still groove pretty hard. ;)

It's been a very long time since I smoked marijuana. I doubt very highly that I ever will again. I've maybe done it 10 times in my life and every time I feel stupid and slow for a few days afterward and I don't like that feeling. "It doesn't do anything bad to you..." Yeah right.

It's been a very long time since I smoked marijuana. I doubt very highly that I ever will again. I've maybe done it 10 times in my life and every time I feel stupid and slow for a few days afterward and I don't like that feeling. "It doesn't do anything bad to you..." Yeah right.
I've never taken or even experimented with alcohol. Many times I wonder what the fuss is all about when I see people drink demselves silly. :(

As for ganja, in my line of work, I've seen many legends at work in the studio. The music + vibes only become superb after a spliff is lit. Their creative juices go into overdrive. :thu:

Bassists are the coolest on stage 'cause they have the least ego.

I stopped smoking marijuana many years ago. I figure if I was going to perform under the influence, I would have to practice under the influence as well so the conditions would be the same.

In my past there were two auditions that went really, really poorly because of the influence of weed. I don't want to go through that again.

And I was getting pretty tired of bands disappearing for a half hour on a 15 minute break.

The music + vibes only become superb after a spliff is lit. Their creative juices go into overdrive. :thu:

No, not :thu: .

That's too bad that they need to be under the influence of anything to get their music on.

I quit smoking everything a long time ago, along with using almost every other controlled substance known to man.... OD'ing changes your perspective on a lot of things. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking pot, if they like it, kewl.... it's just not for me, and I enjoy playing a lot more without it.

And I was getting pretty tired of bands disappearing for a half hour on a 15 minute break.
At many Reggae shows, I haven't seen 15 minutes breaks yet. They just smoke 'stealthly' on stage. :D But then again, the scent of the herb is in the air at these shows! :D

Ganja is widely smoked back home especially in the country side. Believe me, digging acres of gardens with a hoe all day is murder. :eek: They need the ganja or some chew a leaf they call 'Kat'.

As for vibes improving after a spliff, it must be a mindset.

Hmm.....i am not in in any way, shape, or form against smoking pot, but i do believe anyone who depends on a drug to create art is not infact an artist, as for performing on drugs....well thats the performers choice, personally i dont think its a great idea to play a show stoned...i would personally save my grass for the after party ;)

First off Homer Simpson proclaimed it's powers by calling it "Yes I Canibus".

That said, it's been quite a while for me but for some people it can be a great thing. A really great thing. I never had a bad experience, and you can experience a great feeling for a brief while, recover quickly, and not regret it the next day. It's perplexing that Alchohol, with all it's negatives can be legal in the states and not weed. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a drink, but all things in moderation. and neither is right for everyone.

Now back to the subject, we appear to be cool, calm, and groving, because we are (at times at least) or are deep in thought. In my playing exeperiences, I would prefer to save such things for afterward, a reward if you like, or celebration of a job well done, be it practice or a gig.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Why smoke ganja to get stoned? :confused: That's not a great place to be. :( I don't understand anyone who smokes or drinks to get stoned or drunk. What's the point if you won't remember what happened? :rolleyes:

I NEVER said these artists RELY on ganja to be creative. All I said is that the 'vibes' flow alot more when a spliff is lit. Maybe it relaxes them, frees them from any inhibitions hence them taking 'creative risks' which usually lead to great songs. :thu:

Believe me, the list of truly great artists who've lit the spliff is LONG! :)

This isn't to say we should all light up. ;)

I thoroughly enjoy the smell of the herb. Here in Canada it's practically legal, and is on it's way to becoming officially so. That said, smoking ANYTHING is not a habit I want to get into, because it affects the way I think and act, and it's way too expensive habit for me. Besides, I'm dopey enough already :D

Me + Weed = Normal

Right now, everyone ALWAYS (even my parents) if I have been or do smoke weed. Of course I say no. I've never done any drugs in my life. I would like to try weed, but then I think - Why? That's stupid.

:D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Sounds like your trying to justify the use of weed and for whatever reason you wish to be defensive against those that state otherwise. Lighten up bruden...not light up. :D Myself, I've never indulged in the stuff, although I've been tempted by the smell of the sweet stuff. I do indulge in a beer or six from time to time though. There have been few times where I was beyond the point of remembering what I did or where I was, plenty of times that I felt stupid though. I'm not a musician in the working sense, but I know that drinking while playing does not work. I don't even plug in if I've had a few for the simple fact that I know that I'm impaired enough to hamper anything productive.
Donnie Peterson

I thought bassists were the coolest on stage coz they chew liquorice sticks...
Hey? :confused: What's those sticks Sir, Alexander? Never heard of them. We live and learn. :D

As for weed being expensive in Canada and elsewhere, well, for $10 back home, you can get more than a bag of fine herb! Mmh, that smell! :love:

Seriously, herb is very medicinal when used in the right way. :thu: However, I stongly discourage anyone with a 'weak' mind or head, to try it. Don't, or you'll be whipped! :eek:

Archived