Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why are we called 'BASSISTS'?

A friend of mine asked me this question and I couldn't give her a straight answer.

She went on to give me other examples associated to the letters 'ist'.... Mainly negative I must agree. Sexist, Racist, Rapist, Maschocist, Elitist and so on.

We better find another title for ourselves pretty soon. I suggest 'Bassers' :D

I'm sure there are many positives to be found with the 'ist' e.g Conservationist!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the term "bassist" does not apply to everyone who owns or plays a bass. "Bassist" is a term of honor. There are three levels of bassdom:

The lowest life form of bassdom owns a bass and plays at it. Few, if any lessons. Little real musical knowledge or gig experience. Their rendition of "Another One Bites the Dust" is a source of real pride. If they don't have tab, they are pretty much restricted to playing roots and the occasional arpegio. These are the most numerous of bassdom's citizens -- maybe 60% or 70% of all bassdom. They are the "Bass Owners."

The next higher life form of bassdom owns a bass and practices musical things with it on a regular basis. He or she has played a regular gig at some point in the last twelve months. He or she has a repertoire of songs they can play, but improvisation beyond a 12-bar pattern is not usually their strong suit. Don't take them outside their preferred genre. These are the next most numerous of bassdom's citizens -- probably 20% to 30% of the total. They are the "Bass Players."

The "Bassist" is the highest and rarest of all the citizens of bassdom. They can play. Any time, anywhere, any genre, any instrument, any tuning. They can slap and pop and perform a dozen techniques that sound great, but you've never heard of -- but they don't feel they have to do it to feed their own egos. The bassist isn't out to impress -- he or she is out to make the best music possible using the best technique possible. Why are they called "bassists?"

Because they have earned it!

what about Dentist?

or Baptist?

or Twist?

Sunkist?

...i'm tired. :D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Because we play bass is an obvious answer :confused: , that's why I asked. I guess english has a few words since there so many 'ists' out there.

I didn't know there was a 'grade system' in the bass kingdom (bassdom).

I now know I am a bass player (not a bassist for that matter, far from it), but so is my mentor since I haven't any release of his outside Reggae. No problem then :cool: .

I'm yet to hear Boosty play Reggae, Soca, Calypso, Rhumba or African basslines. Is he in the bassist or bass player category?

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

I didn't know there was a 'grade system' in the bass kingdom (bassdom)

don't worry, Shaka, there isn't - rating systems like that are a load of bollocks. Call yourself whatever you want, enjoy playing whatever style you want, and don't ever let anyone tell you your musical contribution is less valuable than someone else's because you choose to do one thing, or to play at home, or to do whatever the hell you want with the bass... The idea that someone isn't a 'bassist' because their improv chops don't extend beyond a 12 bar is laughable.

Steve (bassist, bass player, bass holder, bass owner, bass abuser, bass fan, musician)

www.stevelawson.net

Flash Bazbo

Member # 28439

posted 04-06-2004 10:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, the term "bassist" does not apply to everyone who owns or plays a bass. "Bassist" is a term of honor. There are three levels of bassdom:

The lowest life form of bassdom owns a bass and plays at it. Few, if any lessons. Little real musical knowledge or gig experience. Their rendition of "Another One Bites the Dust" is a source of real pride. If they don't have tab, they are pretty much restricted to playing roots and the occasional arpegio. These are the most numerous of bassdom's citizens -- maybe 60% or 70% of all bassdom. They are the "Bass Owners."

I call them beginners

The next higher life form of bassdom owns a bass and practices musical things with it on a regular basis. He or she has played a regular gig at some point in the last twelve months. He or she has a repertoire of songs they can play, but improvisation beyond a 12-bar pattern is not usually their strong suit. Don't take them outside their preferred genre. These are the next most numerous of bassdom's citizens -- probably 20% to 30% of the total. They are the "Bass Players."

I don't think i've met one

The "Bassist" is the highest and rarest of all the citizens of bassdom. They can play. Any time, anywhere, any genre, any instrument, any tuning. They can slap and pop and perform a dozen techniques that sound great, but you've never heard of -- but they don't feel they have to do it to feed their own egos. The bassist isn't out to impress -- he or she is out to make the best music possible using the best technique possible. Why are they called "bassists?"

Alot of bassist can't do all the above

Rock-n-roll junkie

Originally posted by Flash Bazbo:

I love that answer!! I myself am a bass player strivnig to be a bassist.

Because "The kinda heavy set guy in the back wearing the big guitar while looking at the drummer" takes too long to say.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I, too, am a bass player striving to one day become a bassist. I could never claim to be near the same level as , but neither am I a deer-in-the-headlights beginner.

My previous answer was mostly for fun and entertainment. Still, I think the distinctions are meaningful. For a "bass owner" to claim to be a "bassist" is laughable. The title "bassist" gives us all something to shoot for.

Basser :D That's crazy. Bass Guitarist :cry:

As Steve Lawson has greatly said that the grade system is bollocks (he's a Bassist, Bass owner, Bass abuser etc....), I would like to come out of the closet on this board and anounce that I'm a Bassaholic :o

Do we have Bassaholics Anonymous?

I know I am the "beginner" here but I must say that attitudes such as Flash's are part of the reason that most people never pick up an instrument in the first place.

One of the things that I thought about when I considered learning was the attitude I have witnessed from several musicians towards people who are just starting out. Disrespectful and downright mean!!!

I would think that musicians as a group would be more supportive of people who want to learn and take more of a mentor role than a critic.

But then I am just a "Bass Owner" at this point. :P

I recognised I was a Bassaholic when I was only 17 yrs old. The sedd was planted when I was 9 yrs old.

I don't want to make excuses but surely, Familyman from The Wailers was the catalyst of my Bassaholism. That's my story :o

Originally posted by FunkALunk Kitty:

I know I am the "beginner" here but I must say that attitudes such as Flash's are part of the reason that most people never pick up an instrument in the first place.

One of the things that I thought about when I considered learning was the attitude I have witnessed from several musicians towards people who are just starting out. Disrespectful and downright mean!!!

I would think that musicians as a group would be more supportive of people who want to learn and take more of a mentor role than a critic.

Real musicians remember how it was when they started playing and will be supportive and helpful of newer players.

The mean ones are not real musicians, but poser/wannabe/B.S artists. Perhaps THEY should be designated as "musical instrument manipulators".

Rock on, Kitty! If you play the bass you are a Bassist, no matter if others might be more accomplished than you at this point.

Originally posted by FunkALunk Kitty:

Don't feel bad. I don't fit into any of those catagories, either, and I've been playing bass for 22 years.

;)

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Flash Bazbo:

Man, my self-esteem just took a plastering.

Why not just refer to ourselves (unless, of course, you are a "bassist") as "Lord High King Sh*t of the Bottom End ... ist."

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived