Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

pet name for your bass

BigKahuna855

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that most car names are decidely whimpy (as if that increased their gas mileage and assured the onlooker that the occupant was a wine connoisseur), I've consistently taken muscle car names and in some cases improved on them when referring to MY RIG, though. I've also looked at military stuff, like fighter jets.

But still, that seemed whimpy so I looked to the world of Pro Wrestling.

Nothing like my rig should be called anything less than, say: The Wrecker. The Chastizer. Or The Demolisher. Not really.

Silver Surfer comics have also shown insight into what a 1400 watt rig should be all about. GALACTUS. But some people wouldn't know that Galactus was a decimator and consumer of entire solar systems. So maybe The Decimator...

As has HP Lovecraft.

My Cthulhu, my lovely Cthulhu.

Here is where I hope to draw future inspiration for naming my gear, which I plan to set up on stage in arcane patterns that will disrupt the time/space continuum:

DICTIONARY OF THE GODS (an unofficial glossary of the gods, monsters, and other entities of the SubGenius Mythos)

http://www.poee.org/documents/Other_Religions/Church_of_the_SubGenius/images/dobbs.jpg

"Colt Python." Great name for a gun. I thought when I was a Guns&Roses fan to name my bass that.

And then, after being inspired by the hilarious UK-on-the-dole hit, renamed it, "The Full Monty Python."

But then, because my aim often Romed, and my sights were set on fiddling while the band burned, I decided to rename my bass "Biggus...

"Biggus Dickus..."

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/brian/centurio.jpg

My translucent blue 4 String Hohner: "Blue Boy"

My natural grain 4 string Hohner: "The Natural"

My translucent green Yamaha RBX765A: "The 5 Stringed Bastard that I can't play worth a sh*t!"

:freak:

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

humm lets c, my peavey is named "Kate" and i dont know y, just kinda looked like one. My p bass is "Thor" due 2 size and the MIM J-bass i jut got i think will be "Mutt" since am changin everythin on it :)

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

Originally posted by greenboy:

"Colt Python." Great name for a gun. I thought when I was a Guns&Roses fan to name my bass that.

Psst! Guys...don't you see? The above quote is the key to greenboy's true identity:

http://www.sergioleone.net/dt-51.jpg

to date:

-"Red": Ibanez SR885, candy apple, EMG pickups/ preamp, Wilkinson bridge, Elixers.

-"Whitey" (aka "the Barrelhouse bass"): custom PJ 5-string fretless, EMGs again, unfinished P-neck, narrow spacing, Schaller bridge, D'Addarios.

-"Shiva" and "Kali": twin Ibanez SR506 6-strings, stock electronics, Kali has an ABM bridge.

-"the Hammer": Alembic Series One, circa 1976-78, stock, GHS strings.

-"Paul": Epiphone Viola, stock, just before they discontinued the model a few years back, old set of Dean Markley halfwounds.

-"Jaco": '78 Fender P-fretless neck, Chandler Jazz body, Seymour-Ds active pickups, Badass II, D'Addarios.

-"Mr. Natural": Michael Kelley 5-string acoustic-electric bass, Fishman pickup/preamp, stock, unknown bronze strings.

-"Black Velvet": Epiphone El Capitan 5-string acoustic-electric bass, stock electronics, switching to black tapewound strings or a DR coated set in black.

the others have yet to earn their pedigree.

:wave:

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

-"Mr. Natural": Michael Kelley 5-string acoustic-electric bass, Fishman pickup/preamp, stock, unknown bronze strings.

I have fingered Mr. Natural (complete with jury-rigged feedback stopper). This is a nice bass. Can't believe what you get at that pricepoint. Nice.

Originally posted by Deerhunting Season Avatar:

Originally posted by getz76:

I have fingered Mr. Natural...Nice.

Click Here :eek:

ATM

is OK, mon. Maury has carte-blanche permission to finger away. And I don't let just anyone finger my instruments...

:D

...plus he's happily engaged and I've been busy fingering other things in my spare time...

:eek:

(warning: objects in your imagination are much worse than they appear)

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

i call my bass "Michael" because it used to be a black Jackson.

Pual

I still totally love this. (I also love that the dude misspelled his own name!)

greenboy/Biggus: He's got a wife, you know...

I don't have names for my basses.

I tend to refer to the tobacco burst Carvin fretted 4-string as "the Carvin", although occasionally I call it "the fretted", or "the 4".

I tend to refer to the black EB MM StingRay5 fretless as "the Music Man", "the 5", or "the fretless".

My next bass, currently being crafted by hand, is affectionately called "the Fish o' Luv". I'm not sure whether it will keep that name, but for now, it is a fitting moniker.

I have been known, on occasion, to refer generally to basses as "fish". Why? Because they are. It's that simple, really.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I call my Spector 5 Amy,my Spector 6 Hamish (good strong Scottish name), my Ibanez is known as the funk machine by my band (my band are sad) but i call it Diane and finally my Marcus Miller J is known as....Marcus. It would'nt seem right any other way.

Much Love :thu:

Dave

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Ah crap i forgot i already posted on this thread a while back,sorry guys. The names have changed a bit though. the post above is the most up to date i can give you :) (my band still call the 6 that peice of crap though)

Much Love :thu:

Dave

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Originally posted by greenboy:

Psst! Guys...don't you see? The above quote is the key to greenboy's true identity:

Just for reference sake... I'd like to point out that the gun pictured in Ben's post is NOT a Colt Python, but rather appears to be a S&W model 629, a stainless steel framed 44 magnum.

This is a Python:

http://stormy-night.org/weapons/weapons95.gif

You may recognize it as the gun that Hutch carried on Starsky and Hutch, complimenting Starsky's S&W 39.

Thank you for your time, please shoot well and wisely.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

When my friends started naming their instruments, I thought it was the stupidest thing I ever heard. The one that I remember best was "Bubba," someone's bari sax. They asked me my bass's name, and since I felt like toying with them, I said it was Baron Munchausen. Oddly, the name stuck.
Here's a tip: Try to eat everything. You'd be surprised how much is edible.

Archived