Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Famous guys who happen to play bass, and how good they are.

davebrownbass

We have talked about Penn Jillette being a bass player.

We have talked about Spinal Tap.

Last night, I saw "A Mighty Wind." Same guys. This time Harry Shearer plays an URB folk bass player. (If you've seen it, you'll know that at the end he establishes a new "bass stereo-type." I won't give that away for the uninitiate...)

I know the cast had a team of music teachers showing them the ropes....but sheesh!

These guys were playing the chords. And Harry Shearer was playing the notes just like the track. (In fact, the whole cast was...including Catherine O'Hara on autoharp...changing inversions, plucking melodies out and singing about catheters)

Now I've complained here about how actors mess up movies for me when they pretend to play. I've also celebrated Surfmonkey's acting as a real bass player (even though the sound and licks don't match up!)

In "A Mighty Wind" Harry really seems to be playing the music. Now to do thay, he has to understand something about the bass.

Even more authenticity...Harry plays with the posture and hand position of an self-trained bassist. The only thing I could see wrong is that the positions seem slightly sharp.

Anyway, here's my point: Does Harry really play bass, or was he acting? And who else out there can give a convincing performance as a bassist.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what the deal is w/ Shearer and URB. (I also haven't seen the film.) Good questions, though, DBB, and an interesting thread topic. :thu:

Well, Keanu Reeves could probably do some convincing electric work. I haven't heard his band, nor have I heard any critiques of their music.

I've heard that Malcolm Jamal Warner of Cosby Show and Malcolm and Eddie fame can play some pretty good bass. Once again, though, I haven't heard him play.

Screech from Saved By the Bell plays bass in real life (his real name is maybe Dustin Diamond?). Again, I haven't heard him play, but I seem to remember a blurb in a past TV Guide about it. We had a thread about it a few months ago on this board.

How's that for a start? Anyone actually heard any of these fellahs play?

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

All of the folks in A Mighty Wind played; and certainly the principals behind both Mighty Wind and Spinal Tap play; Christopher Guest played on some records, and I believe was in the off-off-off broadway play, 'Lemmings', which was a parody of the Woodstock festival.

I saw the Spinal Tap tour in the '90's; that was indeed them making the noises on stage. So Harry Shearer is indeed a bass player, both acoustic and electric basses.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

I'm 99% sure that Michael McKean is really playing the harp when he plays "Adrian Van Voorhees" on the Jimminy Glick Show on Comedy Central.

It wouldn't surprise me all to learn that Shearer was a competent bass player. All of the singing parts he's done on the Simpsons, all of the different voices, I would bet that he has a great ear for music and for tonality. And since a lot of old-crop actors made their way to stardom the hard way, via Broadway and theater and anywhere they could get work, he probably can really play.

And thanks for not spoiling the film for me. It was only out for about 2 weeks in the first-run theaters here :( so I'm going to have to wait for it to hit the dollar theater, or even on video.

EDIT: Shearer is credited with bass, producer, and vocals on the 1984 Spinal Tap release, credited as Derek Smalls on the 1992 release for bass and vocals, and with vocals and acoustic bass on the soundtrack of A Mighty Wind. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS80306161810&sql=Bmev8b5x4bsqg

Originally posted by ClarkW:

I'm 99% sure that Michael McKean is really playing the harp when he plays "Adrian Van Voorhees" on the Jimminy Glick Show on Comedy Central.

The whole band is, uhh... lip-syncing..(?) 'pretend-playing' on that show. Watch the drummer sometime, it's quite amusing.

Character actor Ronny Cox , veteran of many tv and movie appearances (St. Elsewhere, Robocop), is a bass player as well.

He appears on a Jeff Berlin video that I have.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Well, Keanu Reeves could probably do some convincing electric work. I haven't heard his band, nor have I heard any critiques of their music.

Peace.

I saw Keanu with his band "Dogstar" at the NAMM Winter Session a couple of years ago. It was kind of a thrash/surf 3 piece thing. He was beating the Hell out of a P bass slung down almost to his knees with a pick. He was probably the best musician in the band. Not really my fave musical style, but they were not too bad, in a garagey sort of way. The crowd seemed to love it anyway.

Also, Bill Daley, who played Major Healey on "I Dream of Jeannie" and the obnoxious neighbor (Howard?) on the original "Bob Newhart Show" plays an incredible URB.

Later..................

I saw Hulk Hogan play on some wrestling promo thing. I watched and he was actually playing. Nothin' fancy, but it was him.
Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Anyway, here's my point: Does Harry really play bass, or was he acting? And who else out there can give a convincing performance as a bassist.

He really does play the bass. They gave a live concert here a few years back, where Shearer was playing URB live, so he really can play. It's mostly pretty simple stuff, but pretty impressive for a guy who does so many things. They are all pretty talented dudes.
I have no homepage.

Tuvok from one of the Star Trek spin offs (the one with Capt. Janeway and 7 of 9) was featured in Bass Player a few years ago.

Bruce Willis was seen at a Planet Hollywood opening (Vegas, I believe) playing bass - very badly.

Originally posted by tnb:

Tuvok from one of the Star Trek spin offs (the one with Capt. Janeway and 7 of 9) was featured in Bass Player a few years ago.

Bruce Willis was seen at a Planet Hollywood opening (Vegas, I believe) playing bass - very badly.

Yeah, I saw that guy too singing a country song on some talk show!(Might have been Howard Stern Show) I've never seen Bruce Willis play anything other than a harmonica!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Bruce Willis is a semi-decent harp player...

I can't wait to see AMW, pick up soome goofiness pointers; my father in law and I are going to do a folk/comedy duo, sing bawdy songs and make jokes. Sort of a reincarnation of Smothers Brothers... :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Not that he plays bass or anything, but in one of many Weird Al videos he is playing a violin bass, I forget what the song was a parody of, but it sure was funny.

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

I saw Spinal Tap at CBGB's in the late '70's/early '80's and they were all playing their instruments.

Lester Holt of NBC's Today show (where I work) sat in on bass with The Captain and Tenille a few weeks back.

Do It To Me No More Times!

Archived