Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

Sometimes yes...everyone gets nostalgic at times. But for the most part I listened to OLD stuff when I was a kid so I've spent my adult time getting into a lot of stuff that was current when I was young...stuff I never heard until now. This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 07-25-2001 at 01:56 PM

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never stop liking things I used to like, but I keep finding new styles that I like just as much. So I have a sort of ever-expanding repertoire of cool things to listen to. When I was really little, I used to listen to an easy listening station (!). So I'm kinda glad my tastes have changed, know what I mean?

LOL Steve, I went through the same thing! I listened to "old" music as a kid and similarly went through a phase later on where I got into stuff that was current when I was a kid but which I had either not heard or not liked. Popmusic.... there WAS some psychological study about how music gets "imprinted" on kids at a certain age (teen years) and that ends up to be what you always look for. I dunno if it's true and I don't really care. I just like what I like. I have expanded my tastes over the years to include more stuff, but that doesn't mean I've stopped liking what I liked when I was a kid and I don't see why I should. The music I got into when I was a teenager was mostly 60's Brit Invasion stuff - the Beatles, Stones, Who, Yardbirds, Kinks, Paul Revere and the Raiders, etc. Even though it was a decade "before my time" - I was in diapers when most of that stuff came out. I also listened to a lot of old Motown and early blues and New Orleans jazz and funk, some of which was WAY before my time. Plus folk, some country, and a lot of world music. I still listen to all of the above today and most of them are incorporated into my music in some way. And hey, I have a couple of pre-disco Bee Gees records from the 60's that are really good! They could write some tunes! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] If we're talking about having liked cheesy pop as kids, well, I was a big John Denver fan as a kid. And I probably ought to be ashamed of myself today [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] but I'm really not - the guy knew how to write a tune, and I think part of the reason I liked him was because his writing stood kinda in opposition to most of the music of the day. He was trying to write about optimistic subject matter at a time when everybody was jaded and bitter from the "60's hippie dream" not having happened, from Watergate, Vietnam, etc. It was very "uncool" to be that much of a "Pollyanna". I feel kinda the same way now. Modern music (fluffy teen bands aside) is full of dark angsty "I hate life" shit and I'm sick of it. I feel more inclined to write about hopeful or positive subjects, but not escapist fluff. And I think I've had that in me since I was a kid, to try and balance out whatever the current "trend" is, with something different. It's not something I try to do, it just happens! Longtime habit, I guess. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]I never stop liking things I used to like, but I keep finding new styles that I like just as much. So I have a sort of ever-expanding repertoire of cool things to listen to. When I was really little, I used to listen to an easy listening station (!). So I'm kinda glad my tastes have changed, know what I mean?[/b][/quote] Yep, there ya go... But, I used to listen to easy listening (my parents did) when I was really little, too. Show tunes, Perry Como, what they call "beautiful music". I went through a period where that stuff was like "ear poison"...the absolute stupidest, uncoolest stuff. But, as I get older, there's a certain comfort in hearing that stuff. Reminds me of being very young, I guess, and I think as some of us get older, we secretly wish to get back to that place of safety. To that end, songs like Percy Faith "Theme From A Summer Place" will always be on my all-time fave list, along with other "cooler" stuff.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]don't laugh -- The Bee Gees.[/quote] Don't laugh? Whataya nuts?? The Bee Gees were THE SH*T!!! Saturday Night Fever was a corny-assed film, but the soundtrack album is a monster, a classic, really. I LUVED the Bee Gees when I was a kid, and I still luv and produce in modern descendents of disco, such as house, two step, big beat et al...I don't know quite what's happening to rock and roll right now, but disco will NEVER die. I'm gonna go buy a Bee Gees CD now... Eric

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Well my tastes have expanded more than anything else, but I do agree I look for the same things in music that I grew up listening to......Johnny Burnette, Sam and Dave, Sun era Johnny Cash, Elvis, Everlys, etc. Those same simple arrangements still work today, and to my ears the most pleasing.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

If you're open minded and willing to put in the time necessary to get familiar with an new artist or idiom, you can expand your musical horizons continuously. I like lost of stuff that I didn't like (or was not aware of) as a youngster.

It's kinda simple. like trees, we're constantly reaching and growing towards the sky, but look down and what do ya see? "Roots". Every generation's, every individual's is different. You can grow beyond them farther than you might ever have imagined, but, you can never lose them. Just look down (or back). [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ------------------ William F. Turner Songwriter [url=http://www.csonline.net/wfturner/index.html]turnermusic[/url] This message has been edited by WFTurner on 07-25-2001 at 06:20 PM

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

OK, I'm 52 and my kids are 19 and 16. I don't play music in the house. I play piano a lot and guitar, mostly in my basement studio. I had a band that rehearsed in the basement till my kids were around 12, stopped around 1991. We did mostly covers. My kids love the music I loved inn my teens and early twenties. My son had a MP3 habit. He's got about 700 MP3s mostly of hits from the late sixties and early seventies. All kinds of things. Pure pop like the Boxtops, everything by the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. Louie Louie by the Kinngsmen. Stuff I know he never heard from me playing. It's bizarre. There is a real difference between the musical tastes of myself and my parents. The big band era is stylistically different from rock and roll. R&R has not given way to a new style. There is a continuum in stylistic appreciation that extends from my generation to the present. I don't think my values represent an adherence to what is old. My children's tastes and thier friends tastes point to an enduring quality of old time rock and roll. Joe

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]When I was really little, I used to listen to an easy listening station (!). So I'm kinda glad my tastes have changed, know what I mean?[/b][/quote] I have to admit that some of the "4AM" greatest hits of instrumental music of the 50's and 60's are pretty persuasive. that stuff goes very deep in your head. Stranger on the Shore, Poor people of Paris, and of course, it is hard to feel bad when you think of Bubbles in the Wine. from planetwelk.com (the wisdom of Lawrence Welk} [url=http://www.planetwelk.com/] There are good days and there are bad days, and this is one of them.\"[/url] [quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b] I'm gonna go buy a Bee Gees CD now... [/b][/quote] I have an LP SNF set still sealed in the original shrink... just anticipating this sort of cultural jonesing, and of course to prevent the music from escaping. This message has been edited by spokenWard@netscape.net on 07-25-2001 at 08:57 PM

This is very interesting. I was born in '70, and I remember my favorite records had blue notes and funky stuff in them, even the kiddie disco records and soundtrack stuff. My folks were pretty hip (mom was a music teacher) and they bought me KISS, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Beatles, and Yes and I'd listen to that stuff endlessly on my Winnie the Pooh record player. Loved the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, the Jackson 5, and whatever funk stuff I taped off the radio from the R&B station from Cleveland. My folks took me to see Chicago in '75 or 6, and then I hadn't heard them again until my mid '20s...guess what, I heard "Wishing You Were Here" (incredibly beautiful, spooky tune) and freaked, cuz I remembered hearing it ONCE 20 years ago! Now THAT's a damn hook! The theramin! Agh! So now, what am I making when left to my own devices? Uh, "funky house" I say to be safe, but I'm really trying to emulate those huge late '70s disco/funk productions. I set my goals up at the Motown, Philadelphia Intl., and Bee-Gee/Andy Gibb level and am never reaching it, of course, sigh. I think almost all contemporary house is really sad & lame compared to the funk-masters but I keep my mouth shut around my DJ pals who are stoked on it. Somebody mentioned Andy Gibb, his "Love is Thicker Than Water" is a monster tune too. So yeah, my favorite rock stuff is noisy blooz-based garage stuff (ala KISS, Zep), I like everything to be at least somewhat melodic (always dug the Carpenters, easy listening, Simon & Garfunkel, Beatles) and funky as possible. Ace Frehley is my guitar-playing ideal. I have a strong aversion to non-classical stuff that doesn't sound Black-American derived. Can't stand europop, the Smiths, whiteboy industrial, trance. That stuff feels all wrong, like a robot just did a bad-touch. And you can't tell anybody, cuz hey, it was a robot and that's pretty weird.

[quote]Originally posted by Julian standen: [b]Music just gets in your blood! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif[/img] Jules[/b][/quote] Yeah it is......Hey Jules...just got my newest TapeOp in the mail....saw your name as a contributing writer. Any full features you've written I can look for?
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• 1 month later...
I owe it all to my Dad, or maybe I should blame it all on him depending how you look at it. He played violin and in typical amateur fashion he would take out the fiddle on Sunday afternoons and put on some of his favorite LP's and play along with them. It could be anything from Classical to Mancini or Frank Sinatra who was his favorite. He was also a big Les Paul fan and he was thrilled when I met Les and got him a signed photo. I always though it was pretty corny but it was very easy to make the transition to stuff like the Beatles who were my favorite. [quote]Well-crafted melodies, real musicians playing (with deliberate subtlety), lots of overlapping vocal lines, cool background harmonies, arrangements which are thick but not overproduced, interesting chord progressions, violins, the occasional use of wah wah pedals... [/quote] Anyway if these are the qualities in music which I too have become accustomed to, well, all I can say is it could be worse. I hope my kids will have at least as good taste as my father gave me. My first son was off to a good start by the way. He got captivated by the Beatles flick "A Hard Day's Night" at the age of two. Watched it over and over and was singing all the songs eventually. So I guess he's gonna be fine!

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

i had a really strange taste developing. first i listened to beatles,then duran duran,then house music happened and i went electronic-crazy for three years.then i got into rap (de la soul,public enemy),and finally, exactly ten years ago,i bought Nevermind,and got into guitars...from all these different listening i have developed a taste for strong rythms and engaging-after-first-listen melodies. i guess my love for the La's comes from this.simple rythms and tunes... my ears have stayed kids forever:they are always looking for new nursery rymes!

popmusic struck a chord with me on this one. Growing up with the Beatles, then Chicago, and then Stevie Wonder, etc., I'm spoiled with great writing, great arrangements, and from an engineering aspect, an immediacy in the sound...I started learning what I needed to know about recording engineering from analyzing these records. And then there were the Carpenters! My first concert in '70 or '71, can't remember which. Richard and Karen really knew how to deliver, and I can't think of anyone who's had such rich vocal textures since then. I think it's a type of programming, and I think it's confusing because we always want to move forward with things, but we're anchored in the sounds of our developmental years. The comparison I try to work with in my mind is that of spoken language, in that English is English, but it varies greatly from region to region; some accents you learn to like, others you don't. Music's the same. A guitar is a guitar, but some are acoustic and some are electric. You learn what you prefer.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived