Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the coolest compliment i ever got was...

The Fonz

there were three:

in my last band i overheard someone saying as he walked out "man that dude plays like david simms [jesus lizard] on speed!"

filling in for a bass player that flaked in high school, one guitar player told me after the show that the other leaned into him during the set and said "wow, i never realized he could do that. it's like i've got jack bruce behind me."

and the best was at a rehearsal one night in a monthly studio owned by kenwood dennard, kenwood himself stepped in to our room. we stopped and he motioned for us to continue. after the song he said that he came in to tell us that some of the neighbors had been complaining about the noise from late night rehearsals. it was 2 a.m. he added "but they can't be talking about you guys. that ain't noise. you guys are off the hook." i felt pretty good about myself for a few months after that one.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks Bastid. That was cool.

I think one of the best compliment I ever got was from a teacher who didn't even like our band. I was a fill-in singer for this concert.

And, about a month later, he said "Yeah, you guys were pretty good, pretty entertaining." But of course, this was sorta under his breath.

I love compliments

once i got "hmm, your tongue... Gene Simmons who?"

seriously- i wrote this before- Steve Grove, now known as smooth jazz artist Euge Groove and I used to play in a band in Fla- he then left and returned when he got the chair in Tower of Power- he brought Rocco to a club i was gigging at- my jaw hit the floor!! when we went on break i approached Rocco and i said " Im such a fan of your playing!!!' and he said, no joke " Im a fan of YOUR playing" - we wound up jamming together the following set!! i will never forget that - wether he meant ir or not.

And just once ( pun intended), while doing a gig in the Bahamas, James Ingram came up to me after a tune and said " you are a bad m**&^*er!" - and also Victor Wooten was recently standing in the corner while i was playing a gig in a hotel here in Vegas- after the set i ran to find and do the " im not worthy " thing-- he was so cool and hung up his cell phone because he had to " say hi to a frined" - and he told me he "liked whte he heard" - yeah right!!! that guy is just so beyond cool!!!!

true stories, though im hardly a bad mofo....

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

So there was a band in my town that was the shiznit, and everyone around dug 'em. Kind of a groovy thing, lotsa covers, mainly TOP, Average White Band, and the like. Seriously good bassist, locked rythym section.

I had seen them a couple of times, and thought they were really cool.

Long story short, after seeing me with a funk/metal band, the drummer and bass player both told me I held the band together, and I later jammed with the drummer a couple times.

I was once described by a black friend as "the blackest really white guy I know."

P-Nut from 311 once told me to "keep on playing" (it was before a show, and he looked a little dazed), and Louis Johnson himself told me I looked like a bass player.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hmmm, I think the one compliment I got was "What the hell was that!?" after I did this funky little harmonic thing on my fretless. I've described it before here...I fretted at the last place on the G, and plucked the string above that, which in turn rang out the other strings, and then started sliding up and down that for a minute, alternating strings. I had the OD and Chorus on for a little boost. Quite cool to get that compliment. Might not be playing without that.

After a show one night, I was breaking down my gear and this guy came up on the stage and told me I had the best technique he had ever seen. He said "it's perfect." I looked up and saw Blasko, the bass player for Rob Zombie.

The best one I got was after playing a gig in a black church, the house bass player shook my hand and said, "Boy, you sure got a lotta black in you." That was after playing a set chock full of Motown songs. I knew I would be under the microscope with the set list and I was just hoping not to mess up.

Here are a few:

In College, in woodwind method class (in Music Ed school, you have to learn ALL the instruments...at least play a few scales and etc.)

For 3 weeks I was on the flute (I had only studied piano, voice and bass at this point) and I played my flute barrier for the class. After the class was over, one of my classmates, the hottest sax major in the jazz band came up to me and asked, in all seriousness, if flute was my secondary (instrument). He said it was one of the best flute tones he'd ever heard.

One time when playing "Messiah" in some church, one of the stud wind players came to me after rehearsal, during musician's dinner and said he loved playing Messiah with me; my Baroque playing was so stylistically correct and it inspired him.

Or how about the time, after a few months of lessons, Chuck Rainey told me I was well on my way and he couldn't really show me anything more.

But by far, the greatest compliment to me...makes all those pale in comparison. I've had dozens, many dozens, of students who sign up for my class year after year, or take private lessons year after year...they've heard all my jokes before...they know my stories, my foot-in-mouth disease. They seem to genuinely enjoy being in my company and working hard to fulfill my musical vision for their life. Just last night, one of the most talented violin players I've ever worked with, 2 time All State player and currently a member of the West Point class of 2004, called me long distance...tracked me down at 10:30 at night...to ask my opinion of the best music his small group of fellow West Pointers should prepare for a March 27 concert. He said, "I knew you would know exactly what we, of varying abilities, should play."

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by wraub:

I was once described by a black friend as "the blackest really white guy I know."

Originally posted by cornbread:

The best one I got was after playing a gig in a black church, the house bass player shook my hand and said, "Boy, you sure got a lotta black in you."

As an EXTREMELY white guy who struggled with rythym for the first year or so and definitely did not have a natural sense of time or feel the best I have ever had is "Are you sure you're not black?"

That was years ago and I still remember it when I have an off day and need cheering up.

Hmmmmm...........

A bunch of years back Chuck Rainey was visiting in San Jose and taught some lessons for the month he was in town.

I went to take one lesson. He asked me to play for him, and then he said, "what are you doing here? you should go down to LA and make some money"

It definitely made my day. Chuck is one of my all-time favorites and I have learned most of his recorded lines.

My coolest compliment?

"Hey, you with the Strat, you don't suck as bad as everyone said you do".

That from Stevie Ray!!! Not the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stevie RAY...a janitor at a club I used to work at.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have never received a compliment on the level that is being discussed here. My gigs never place me in the presance of such people as James Ingram, Victor Wooten, P-Nut, Blasko or Chuck Rainey.

I must really suck or I have no business being on this board. I knew from the discusions here that there were some big-time players hangin' out, but not like this. I maybe need to just read the posts instead of responding in the future.

Originally posted by SteveC:

I have never received a compliment on the level that is being discussed here. My gigs never place me in the presance of such people as James Ingram, Victor Wooten, P-Nut, Blasko or Chuck Rainey.

I must really suck or I have no business being on this board. I knew from the discusions here that there were some big-time players hangin' out, but not like this. I maybe need to just read the posts instead of responding in the future.

You'n me both, buddy.

No- a lot depends where you live- in Vegas, well, EVERYONNE goes to Vegas at one point or another-

and its not that you suck- and i think you know that- but I for one play for a living, so im out there doing it- its not bragin' - its just what i do for a living.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Well, i don't play too many shows but one time an instrumental rock trio asked me and a drummer freind to open for them after they heard tapes of us improving. So we play the show and it went good.

Then when we are packing up the gear and loading the car this really hot girl with a MILK shirt on(the artsy bar here in windsor) comes over and starts saying how great we were and how amazing it was that we could make so many different kinds of music with just bass and drums.

Since that was exactly what we were going for i regarded it as a big compliment.

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

As a white guy, the biggest compliment I got was from a drummer called Sam Kelly (south London blues and r&b, originally from Jamaica, ex-Cymande).

STOP MAKING IT SOUND LIKE REGGEA!!!

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

One time I was at my high school's Concert Band performance playing tympani when afterwards, a member of the audience came up to me and said that i was unbelievable and that I had the most poise of anyone in the band. That's probably the best compliment I've ever receieved. :)

Well it wasn't the time when these groupies said they loved the band, we went over their apartment, and their entire record collection consisted of The Captain and Tennille, The Starland Vocal Band, The Beach Boys, and stuff like that.

Made us really worried about why they liked us. I hope it wasn't for our music.

I've had a couple. My favorite one I got from one of my teachers at MusicTech. On my evaluation sheet for my graduation recital he wrote "You will be (then he crossed out will be and wrote-) already are an asset to the musical community."

And towards the end of my time there the bass dept head would always say "I can't wait to hear your solo CD's man."

And I get tons of stuff after my band plays like "Are you related to Flea?" or "Do you ever not Lay it down?"

"Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."

--Henry David Thoreau

Hey, man...don't worry. There are a lot of great players here, but none of 'em look down their nose at anyone who's humble enough to write a post like you just did.

Continue posting questions, comments, etc. It's important to exchange ideas...that's how we confirm that our own opinions are correct! :D

Back to the topic:

The greatest compliment I ever got was from an absolutely incredible, prodigious drummer. I was playing a no-name/no-talent session for some "artist"...and the drummer they had hired decided to split because he had a fight with his girlfriend (???). Suddenly, the session had no drummer. The tunes were, um, interesting, but there was money being spent and a drummer was needed to finish the session.

So the engineer called up this 19-year-old wunderkid who came into the studio with a permagrin on his face. He sat down at the kit, and we started playing the tune, which was this heavy nu-metal riff. The tune instantly became more exciting and alive with this guy behind the kit...I started smiling.

The artist wanted a drum solo in the middle of the tune while the bass played a simple minor 7th ostinato, so this dude obliges...with a frightening display of chops and taste. He displaced the time like crazy with every limb imaginable...I hung on for dear life, counting to 4 with mantra-like intensity as he superimposed every meter he could think of over it, without it sounding like a math lesson. I was terrified and exhilarated.

The drummer managed to turn a dull, doing-it-for-the-cash session into an exhilarating experience. But the best moment came after the tune was over and he smiled, pointed at me, and said: "Dude, way to hold the time together." :D

Since that day (which was almost five years ago), I've done many, many sessions and gigs with that same drummer. He introduces me as "The King of Bottom" to his friends...and I still can't believe it when he says that... :freak:

So what, if you're out of your league?

The most intense learning experiences of my life happened when I was playing with musicians I had no business being onstage with. And they weren't wating around for me, either! I had to keep up, and it kicked my butt something serious!

I feel like I still know nothing...and I certainly have a long way to go...guys like JeremyC, bassaddik, Wally Malone, Bumpcity, and davebrownbass are some SERIOUS players. Their example makes me strive to improve a little every day.

My coolest compliment ever received was when my friend overheard Mike Keneally tell Rick Musallam and Nick D'Vigilio, "That bass player is f*$king amazing". There is a part of me that really wishes I'd never known he said that... so not worthy of such praise. But I still think it's pretty cool. :thu:

I think that almost everyone here has posted, and every musician has asked, how do I get better? I think BenLoy answered that question for all time:

The most intense learning experiences of my life happened when I was playing with musicians I had no business being onstage with. And they weren't wating around for me, either! I had to keep up, and it kicked my butt something serious!
let's see- best compliments? Perhaps when I write parts for a tune and then the drummer comes in and plays, and our parts lock perfectly.

I once saw the Trans Siberian Orchestra and I stayed around and talked to Paul O'Neil, teh TSO's producer and creator, and a very creative and skilled soul himself. I told him about my musical performance proclivities and said that he was able to hear "singer" in my voice. After hearing the singers in that evening's performance, I was floored.

In my new band, the lead guitarist is a 20 year old who plays the blues- quite soulfully, I might add- reminds me of SRV in a distinct way. Between band songs, he'll bust into a lick and just start soloing away. As soon as I figure out the key, I'll join in and hold down the groove. Every now and again I'll bust into something fast and let him go back at it. At practice wednesday, He starts fading out and I take over the soloing. He just stops playing and watches me with a huge grin on his face.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by SteveC:

Hey guy...if you talked to me 10 years ago I wouldn't have had any of the experiences I related in my post. (Except for the College Bit)

One of my favorite movies is "Groundhog Day." In that movie Bill Murray says maybe God isn't omnicient. "Maybe he's just been around so long he knows everything." Time...time...time...from one who is beginning to get nose and ear hair!

And Benloy, thanks for the compliment...I really don't feel I measure up the the other guys in your list. I'd HATE to try to have to "live up" to my reputation.

Really, I'm just a guy who walked through a few open doors. I can manage myself on the bass...get my share of gigs.

The two loves of my life (aside from God, family, country) are teaching and playing bass. I remain daily thankful that I'm able to make my living from those things.

And, like others have mentioned...I participate in this board because I learn something and I like the community. And that's all the reason anyone needs to hang out here.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

So your head must be the size, of...Canada right now?

Bump, pay me a compliment! Please!

:D

BenLoy, you are my hero. :D

(my head was actually the size of New Brunswick for about a week)

Originally posted by BenLoy:

YES. I can't believe I didn't say anything about this ealier. This is the best way to get better. I can't tell you how much it has helped me over the years to get the opportunity to play with musicians that I had no business playing with (my current band, Yogi & Half Zaftig included). Yog and ChrisG are two of the most amazing musicians I've ever had the opportunity to play with. They are constantly kicking my ass and forcing me to do stuff that I might not do otherwise. My advice to everyone is to get out there and try to find some cats to play with that you think you shouldn't be playing with on a skill vs. skill level. You'll be amazed at some of the stuff you can pull off when you're in this sort of situation... especially when playing with a terrifying drummer. And hey, if you crash and burn (lord knows I have), chalk it up as a learning experience.

The second best compliment I got was actually about my current band as a whole, when a very skilled & talented local musician told me he didn't notice any of us stand out above the rest during the songs (except for solos) which was a high compliment to our abilities to put the groove & the group sound above our own egos. The best however, was from my teacher, Jeff Campbell from Eastman, who actually said he found me "inspirational." Here's a guy who teaches some of the best bassists in the world & he finds some local dude inspirational. Nice. :D It was a nice ego boost to someone who'd been struggling with his new upright for the past 5 months, and it encouraged me to put my nose to the grind-stone a little harder.

Regards,

~Griff

Last July 4th I spent a week in Guantanamao Bay, Cuba, mixing sound for a country/pop act entertaining the troops. I met the band for the first time at the airport.

On our way down we had a layover in Florida. After settling in, the guitarist, bassist and I sat down with an acoustic guitar and each played a bit. When I began playing, the guitarist (a young, monster of a player) looked at me blankly and said, "Damn, the soundman's a %$#%-kickin' guitar player!" I'd say he was exaggerating, but... ;)

But my favorite was from Rob Bonaccorsi, formerly of Freddy Jones Band. When FJB were moving up in Chicago, they hosted an open mic at Wrigleyside, next to the ballpark. I worked down the street at GC, so I'd wander down after closing and play a few songs.

I almost always pulled out Michael Hedges version of All Along The Watchtower to finish, and Rob's face would just light up. He loved that rendition, and always complimented me on it.

As a bass player, the only compliment I ever received was at an Opryland U.S.A. show I was supposed to be mixing. The musician contracting the band usually played these gigs, but this day, this contractor was out of town. The bass player didn't show up. I ran to the rehearsal hall and checked out a crummy old bass. (As soundman I already provided backline amps.) When I returned, they had called a bass player, only to find it was THE bass player who was supposed to be there! He had his dates mixed up, but was on his way. I sat in for a set on a bunch of songs I didn't know. Did I mention I'm a complete hack on bass, anyway? Regardless, they were kind and said I covered it well, and who am I to argue? :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived