Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spain

Therion

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for Al Jarreau "Spain" bass transcription, i had to play it with my band, could somebody tell me where i can found it or send it to me please...of this song please ? The song is very difficult to found on internet..

Thank to the lowdowners

Therion

Do What Thou Whilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a long time since I heard the Al Jarreau version of "Spain". It's one of my Chick compositions. Here is what I can tell you from memory about the song, not necessarily the Jarreau version. Pardon me if I've overstated anything obvious.

You'll find it in "The Real Book vol I". The changes are essentially:

Gmaj7 /F#7 /E-7 A7 /

Dmaj7 Gmaj7 /C#-7 F#7 /B-7sus /B7

I hope I notated that accurately.

You'll need to learn the 2 breaks from the melody, played in unison, that set up the verses and chorus. I don't think I can notate those accurately with the text limitations of this board.

Originally posted by mzeger:

It's been a long time since I heard the Al Jarreau version of "Spain". It's one of my Chick compositions. Here is what I can tell you from memory about the song, not necessarily the Jarreau version. Pardon me if I've overstated anything obvious.

You'll find it in "The Real Book vol I". The changes are essentially:

Gmaj7 /F#-7 /E-7 A7 /

Dmaj7 Gmaj7 /C#-7 F#7 /B-7sus /B7

I hope I notated that accurately.

You'll need to learn the 2 breaks from the melody, played in unison, that set up the verses and chorus. I don't think I can notate those accurately with the text limitations of this board.

Thanks for your answer,

I also have the chick corea version (real book version), but i specially look for Abraham Laboriel bass part of A. Jarreau version (the bass transcription). Anyway if don't found it i'm going to learn it buy hear ;)

Do What Thou Whilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law

Don't worry so much about whether you play Abe Laboriel's or Stanley Clarke's version of the bass line.

You will have to play the unison lines note for note. After that it's sort of a bossa for the first verse or so and then it becomes a samba.

Any samba bassline will do. Even though Abe Laboriel is one of my favorites, I think that Stanley Clarke's lines on this song are a lot more interesting.

Have fun, it's a great song.

I remember learning to play and SING that song. It was tough :eek:

I don't really remember the lines that well, cause I don't have the opportunity to play that song any more. The changes aren't that difficult to figure out.

BTW, I thought on the Al Jerreau (sp?) version, that it was some other bass player, not Laboriel. I know Larry Williams from Seawind was on keyboards ( that's a Hawaii band by the way) and I think Steve Gadd was on drums. I'll have to dig up the album (Oh no, back to vinyl again :D )

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Originally posted by randy clay:

BTW, I thought on the Al Jerreau (sp?) version, that it was some other bass player, not Laboriel. I know Larry Williams from Seawind was on keyboards ( that's a Hawaii band by the way) and I think Steve Gadd was on drums. I'll have to dig up the album (Oh no, back to vinyl again :D )

Yep, it's Laboriel on Al Jarreau's version and I do agree with Jeremy that Stanley Clarke did more interesting things with this tune; especially during the solos.

Speaking of solos, Larry Williams does his best impression of Chick Corea during his solo, and a rather good impression it is. If someone would have told me that it was Corea playing with Al Jarreau, I would have believed them.

You guys should check out the duet version of "Spain" that Chick Corea and Bobby McFerrin did. Very cool.

Larry Williams was one of the arrangers for the show i was playing here in Vegas- we got to hang out- great guy and wonderful musician- he is primarily a sax player but he BURNS on keys!! his Spain solo is gem-

i also liked Stanleys version a little better- he turns it around a lot- its on upright and for the tune- i prefer that version with the incredible Airto Moreira on drums and percussion- my Dad gave that record and it changes my life- thanks Dad!! that rhythm section was on fire!!!!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I have to agree with Jeremy. When I play that tune, I do the unison thing, of course, as it is because it's unison with the rest of the band. After that, I try to do my own thing.

It's great to model yourself after the great players, but I really think you need to have "your sound" as well.

Try learning the part by ear. It sounds like you have the changes for the rest of it. It really isn't that hard. Just take it a measure at a time. I find that it helps me to notate it as well. Just drills it into my little brain a little bit better. You'll feel great after learning it yourself, too.

Archived