Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TASCAM US-428

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Valky is our local "expert" on this box. I've got one too. I use it mostly with Pro Tools as a transport and fader controller. I also use it as a S/PDIF and MIDI I/O box... MIDI with Pro Tools, Logic and Sonar, S/PDIF with Logic, Sonar and Sound Forge. It's been a good box. Make sure your computer's compatable (VIA chipsets had problems early on - I don't know if this is still the case or not). I don't regret buying it. The only thing I wish it had was moving faders. I may eventually get Logic Control, especially if they get the Mackie HUI emulation happening for PC's - right now, it only works in HUI emulation mode for Mac users. :mad:

I have one too. i've tried it with cubase, nuendo, sonar. it's pretty strait forward and sounds pretty good but then again i haven't tried alot of converters. The driver support is pretty up to date and it offers WDM, ASIO and MME drivers. It's USB so be aware that you cannot run any other usb devices while recording with it if you want to use all four in's. If you are just using it as a controller the bandwidth is not a problem and in fact with the newest drivers there is an option to turn the audio portion off. Also, you may be able to find something cheaper for just a midi controller and most programs now have a learn function to set up midi controllers very easily. I think this is a good option for laptops and portable recording but i wouldn't buy it again for a desktop system. Plus, i am still pissed off that they released it about a year before it worked properly. i just can't get over it. i don't think i will ever buy a Tascam product again if there are other options to tell the truth. That's how bad it was. But it works fine now.

• 4 months later...
I use it with Cubase SX (win) Cubase VST (mac), Peak (mac) & Pro Tools Free (mac). Honestly, the only thing I EVER touch on its "control surface" are the trim pots. (The "handful o' faders" technique does nothing for me; been using DAWs too long now.) Wish it had phantom power, but it has definitely been a Steady Eddie for me for a couple years in the project studio. The Mac OS 9.x Sound Mgr. drivers leave something to be desired (I guess); its internal clock occasionally wigs out & I have to act out a complicated choreography of Sound control panel diddling & power cycling of the US428. This NEVER happens when using it with ASIO drivers, though - it's solid as a rock.

Archived