Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE ULTIMATE OUTBOARD GEAR?

What piece gets your vote? You know... you deserted island piece. The piece you can not record without... The AVALON VT 737 SP gets my vote. This mic pre/compressor/eq gets used in every stage of production from tracking, mixing to mastering where I use two of them! Peace, Ernest

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't personally own any of this, but from what I've been fortunate enough to work with: Cost no object: Manley Voxbox and Massive Passive EQ Avalon U5 DI for instruments that floor-standing EMT reverb that goes by the nickname "R2D2"- I forget the model number GT Electronics Vipre Ultimate bang for buck (I do have or am getting these): Sytek MPX-4A (4 channel mic pre) Langevin Dual Vocal Combo FMR Really Nice Compressor

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

[quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressors.[/b][/quote]I keep seeing this. DAMN I need to get one!!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

For what it does (surgical manipulation of EQ anywhere in the process) the Massive Passive. Have not been able to get my hands on Massenburg, Avalon, or others, but this thing is OUTRAGOUSLY wonderful. Bang for the buck? Distressor.

Well, I'll go along with the Avalon VT 737 (mine's the very sexy sm version). It's my workhorse for vocals, bass and acoustic. The main reason I dig it is because it seems to give each part I run through it a distinctive place in my final mix. No crud build up. Just got a RNC so I'm still learning it. It's controls seem to make so much more difference in sound over any other compressor I've used. Definately best bang for buck item out there. I'd love to have got the Manley Voxbox but couldn't swing the price tag. The Avalon at about half it's price has worked out great though.

Hey Sacdog: I'm a gonna get me one of them PI-14 if'n it's the last thing I do. They need to edit the copy on that ad, cause the wordsarerunningtogether. My favorite outboard device is the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. Use it, Abuse it, it adds an analog sound to guitar tracks and more. The coolest thing to do is to play a guitar chord or whatever and then turn the knobs while the sound is active. It goes Wooo-Whooop-URang-oooooooooooo-do-doopd-do-whang-whang-whang. It's a very strange sound.

Crane Song STC-8, I wouldn't think of working without having at least one nearby. A good reverb is also a must. One is minimum. If I have the above and an assortment of the usual stuff (microphones, desk, recorder, monitors, a good song to record, good musicians), I can accomplish almost anything without ever complaing about lack of available resources. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived