Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Embarrasing question on chord notation

stephenm52

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks David, I thought maybe I was the only one here who didn't know what it meant. Since my original post I found 2 copies of the song Makin' Whoopee. Both are in the same key with almost identical chord notations. In one fake book the C maj chord is simply noted as C, whereas in the recent fake book it's noted C(triangle)7. So I'm guessing it may mean major?

Triangles mean major 7, yes. I didn't know what they meant - I'd never even seen that notation - until my high school jazz band director used them, and now I guess it's become a North American jazz education standard. Thank you Jamey Abersold.

I prefer geometrical objects ;) to notate major 7 instead of just "C", because to me "C" means C major triad, no extensions. The clearest way is to write maj7.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Yeah think JA books use a triangle as MAJ7 but ive seen some books use a traiangle as simply major triad. Like a minus sign for minor. I only learnt that in music school so NOTHING to be embarrassed about.

btw for any music/theory questions also hop over to keyboard corner...those guys are so f***ing knowledgeable!!! :thu:

Yeah think JA books use a triangle as MAJ7 but ive seen some books use a traiangle as simply major triad. Like a minus sign for minor. I only learnt that in music school so NOTHING to be embarrassed about.

btw for any music/theory questions also hop over to keyboard corner...those guys are so f***ing knowledgeable!!! :thu:

Archived