Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roll Call

OK then.

We have a songwriter's forum.

So......who's a songwriter out there? I'll go first.

My name is Michael Jones. I write under the pen name of M. Edwin Jones. I figure that BMI will be less likely to mail my royalties to some other Michael Jones. Of course,at my present rate of success I probably don't need to be too concerned about that. :rolleyes:

I'm writing for country radio almost exclusively these days. Got a daughter that's gonna need a college education in a few years. I'm a rocker by inclination and I try to inject my stuff with that aesthetic as much as possible. At the moment I don't have a URL because until recently there hasn't been any need for one. But TAXI is moving into streamable/downloadable music for film and TV so I plan on getting a website up soon for that purpose. Once it's in place,I'll put the address on my posts and invite each and all to drop by for a listen.

I have a small studio and produce my own demos. I'm fairly adept at keys and guitar :) and decidedly inept at singing. :( I love engineering and devote quite a bit of my limited time to it, but I'm primarily a writer.

There's a lot of talent on these forums and I've enjoyed listening to a wide variety of compositions by you guys. So how about it? Who's in this primarily as a writer and what kind of stuff do you do? Let's hear from you.

later,

Mike

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda look at it this way...

I play guitar, but I'm not really a guitar player.

I sing, but I'm not really a singer.

I write songs, but I'm not really a songwriter.

I'm just a kinda/sorta person...but I really do love to do those things I just mentioned...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm just a kinda/sorta person...but I really do love to do those things I just mentioned...

I couldn't have said it better except:

I try to play guitar.

I try to sing.

I try to write songs.

I too really love to try to do those things.

You can get an idea HERE .

And I'm...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hello, I'm Rim.

I am in a Christian rock band called Wingshadows which I am in the midst of mixing our first CD but I didn't write the songs. I am also in a cover rock band just because it's fun to play out. But, my personal goal is to write a whole CD's worth of my original music, record, mix and master it myself. I think I've got all the equipment I need to do this - except for the songs! :)

After I finish the Christian CD, I'm hoping to have more time with my own CD. Realistically, I'm not expecting any kind of commercial success. If I get encouragement from friends, I may try to sell it on MP3.com.

I have written songs before but they have been far and few between - although they have been generally well received. I hope to take more time in my songwriting efforts. Hence my interest in this forum.

How's that? :wave:

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Hello

My name is Cereal

I've stopped writing songs until I've recorded several of the ones I already have. But lately all I do is work so I don't even record.

I will be taking all summer off but my house needs fixing up so who knows if I'll record anything in the summer either.

It's hopeless.........next time I drive past the vet I will stop in and have myself put to sleep.

cheers............ :(

oh dear, oh my Lippy it's never gonna work

Hello. My name is Henry Robinett. I started out wanting to be a writer and took a left turn to learn the guitar. My interest has always primarily been jazz but have also been wildly interested in most every other form of music as well. Most of my band experience has been in countless original bands. In most of the early bands I was never the primary writer but always contributed two or three songs. As I got older and more experienced I found myself in the position of being THE writer until I formed my own band where I did 95% of all the writing. Most of the music has bee instrumental so I don't know if many would consider those as "songs", but I have also written several songs with lyrics, it's just none of those have ever been released nor have I ever gotten BMI statements or royalty checks from any of those. But I have quite a bit from my instrumentals. NOT a lot of money mind you. Somewhere along the lines I rediscovered my original intentions to be a writer, but lately I haven't written TOO much, as I've been engineering and producing other folks.

I've worked with several successful songwriters and have been inspired greatly by them. I think this forum is great. My orientation is MUSIC and I end to only hear the lyrics much later. Oh well.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by daklander:

Originally posted by Tedster:

I couldn't have said it better except:

I try to play guitar.

I try to sing.

I try to write songs.

I too really love to try to do those things.

You can get an idea HERE .

And I'm...

I'll up the ante ...

I used to think the way Tedster and Dak did but realized that if you want to be something you have to accept that you ARE that first ...

I used too think that I sort of played guitar, then thought that I tried to play guitar, then realized that since I was actually doing that,

I am a guitar player.

I used too think that I sort of sang, then thought that I tried to sing, then realized that since I was actually doing it that,

I am a singer.

I used too think that I sort of was a song writer, then thought that I tried to write songs, then realized that since I was actually doing it that,

I am a songwriter.

Now whether anyone actually likes my guitar playing, singing and songwriting is a matter of opinion, but I do alll of those activities.

I am woman, hear me roar!

How's that for empowerment?

Jack

I really don't know what to put here.

I've played guitar for 33 years. Bass nearly as long. Actually started on drums but haven't practiced them anyway near as much as things with strings. I've been sequencing for over 12 years, recording for around 25 years.

I've been writing for as long as I've played. I've had a song writing partner for the last six years. We're finishing up our third CD of original recordings right now.

I've got loads of old songs which I sometimes re-record and update. My ancient recordings were done on 4-track and 8-track reel to reel back when I had no real mics or effects so they need updating. I'm not sure how many songs I've finished. I've got bunches of song pieces that need finishing.

Our music is vocal based rock music mostly, altho we do our token country, jazzish/swingish, dance, etc. Major influences include Beatles and Fleetwood Mac.

I'm very pleased that a songwriting forum has been initiated. This can only add to the usefulness of the whole Music Player site, which already has a lot of terrific commentary and debate.

I wrote my first song not long after I took up the guitar, 35 years ago. I've learned a lot about music, my function as a musician and songwriter (in bands and as a solo performer), and have worked on the craft of songwriting with as much dilligence as I can muster.

My major in college wasn't music, but English Lit, with the majority of my concentration centered on Lyric Poetry. Note the "Lyric!"

Although I am an absolute devotee of my beloved guitars (okay, add the bass, too...) it is Songwriting which is probably the most driving force in my appreciation of the art we call music. I look forward to sharing thoughts, opinions, ideas, and much joy with you all.

Rick

I have been writing songs for about 25 years. I also play keyboards for over thiry years as well. Most secular songs I have written are either in a blues, blues rock, or country sytle. I once got to the point where many of my songs were played by several bands I was in and seemed to be well received.

I took a self-imposed exodus from music about 12 years ago and since then have only written Christian lyrics...again mostly blues, bluesrock, gospel and boogie woogie sytles (some soft, mellow rock also.)

I also decided after during this exodus that I shall no longer play cover music--be it secular or Christian. Life is too short to play others' music and to keep the talents and gift that God has given me to myself. Music is about self-expression and creativity--not about copying other's peoples songs, solos, etc.

After taking a break from playing music outside of practicing in my basement I hope to start playing solo boogiewoogie/blues piano Christian shows later this spring.

Glad to see this forum too!

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Howdy.

My name's Erik.

I am a guitarist/bassist/songwriter/musician. I play in two bands -- one on guitar, the other on bass. I work on arrangements for both. One is a hardcore rock band (think Kiss meets Biohazard) and the other is more Brit-pop college alternative (Husker Du meets Stereophonics or Radiohead.) I love all music and try to appreciate the art in any kind of song.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The name is Jim.

I am a Bass Player for a Classic Rock Band that does both covers and originals. I am not the primary songwriter in this band, but I do collaborate on some songs.

I also work on my own songs, of which, I record, play guitars, Bass, and Drums, and one day hope to incorporate some piano/keyboards in some tunes. Whether it will turn out to be anything, I won't know, but I am having a damn good time in the process.

Too cool! Finally a songwriter's forum!

Well most of y'all know me already, but I liked Ted's and Sylver's posts. :D I'm kinda in the same bag - I write songs but I consider myself more the "whole package" - guitar player/engineer/songwriter. I don't really sing much cuz I got a couple of great bandmates to do that.

I love and appreciate great songcraft for what it is but it's not something I can do on demand or probably do for other people. To me the song and the performance and the production are one seamless piece. So I HAD to play an instrument and become an engineer in order to fully realize my vision as a songwriter... if that makes any sense.

So basically I write stuff for my own band, sometimes in collaboration with our bass player who also writes many of our songs. We collaborate well and hope to become even more of a partnership as time goes on. Our usual objective is to write songs that stand on their own as good songs, but also are true "band" songs in that they are associated with the performance and recording as much as the song itself. Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, Jagger/Richards and Tom Petty (at least in the early days) are a few people I think have pulled this off really well.

Glad to see this forum starting to happen!

--Lee

My name is Duke. I am a nobody compared to you guys. I'm a wannabe. Rephrase... soontobe. Rephrase... I am a musician. A great musician.

Duke. Real name. Or Bill. Real name. I go by Duke Will. Real names. But Will is not my last name. I shall remain lastnameless on the internet until further notice. Paranoidus Afflictus.

Someone on this thread said you gotta be what you want to be. I thought the same... I immediately thought the same thing when I read Tedster's post... from my golf psychology readings. You must "be" before you "succeed." Therefore...

I am a songwriter. In fact, I am a great guitarist. I am, in fact, one of the most moving, most emotion-filled guitarists on this planet.

And I am a songwriter. In fact, I am a great songwriter. I write with conviction, emotion, intelligence, wit and great humor when the song calls for it. I am a great songwriter. I make people smile and I make them cry. I smile and cry along with them. Because I am the song. I am, therefore I am.

I am a keyboard player. In fact, I am a great keyboard player. People come from miles around just to stand outside my studio window to hear me practice. Because I am great.

Since I am all of these things... great guitarist, great keyboardist and great songwriter, it won't be long before you know all about me. Be listening for the name Duke Will. On guard. Because I am, therefore I am.

Musician Psychology 101 session is now over. Until next time...

I am. Therefore I am.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Duke, my man...

So glad you wrote:

"I am one of the most moving, emotion-filled guitarists on the planet" rather than:

"I am one of the fastest, lightningest-fingered guitar pickers on the planet".

Well, my post didn't necessarily mean I think I'm incompetent. I think my drift was caught by Lee and a couple others in that I don't think of myself as one thing specifically, rather, I do all. Not necessarily the greatest on the planet, but, the only Tedster, the only one of me there is (thank God, perhaps). I mean, Carole King is a "Songwriter". Celine Dion is a "Singer". Segovia was a "guitarist". I'm just content to be me...and if someone likes what I do, cool.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'll start this again.

Hi, I'm Dak Lander...

There are so many of you that are so good it's amazing. That's why I concured with the Tedster in that vein earlier. I am, what I am. I do those things, I posted earlier. That try, is, exactly that. I try. I am a writer, composer? guitar player, singer/vocalist, but try to be as good, or better than the quality I've exposed myself to on these forums.

I've listened to the music/art that most of the people on these forums put out. It's absolutely awesome.

And; It's a hell of a tough act to follow.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hey, Tedster, I wasn't knocking how you wrote your post. I was just saying it reminded me of the golf psychology techniques used by the top golfers. And it prompted my writing my goofy post.

Regarding the psychological aspect of saying "I am" rather than "I want to be" or whatever... it appears that this works in golf. Just about all of the top golfers in the world have a guru. Because top-flight golf is extremely quirky. Golf is such a crazy game, it can drive you nuts. One shot in a four day tournament can make or break you. And that can eat you alive. Or, like David Duval did a few days ago, he hit a shot that was 99.9% perfect. The ball struck the very base of the flagstick, about 1/10" too high and instead of going into the hole for an amazing shot, it caromed into the pond fronting the green. Your head's on wrong? You want to kill somebody. Head's on right? Oh well, just one of those crazy things. But I am a great golfer, so I carry on. Next time, the golf gods will find favor with me. Golf Psychology 101.

One shot each day on Thursday or Friday can mean you don't eat that week because you miss the cut. So, taking your head to another place has proved to be very beneficial. So that little things don't get you all torqued. You just learn to let it slide.

BUT... and this is a big BUT... anyone who uses these techniques is already a very good golfer. It would be ludicrous for me to say "I am an opera singer. In fact, I am a great opera singer." Why? Because I don't care how long I say that or practice opera singing, it ain't gonna happen. Never. Can't. Cuz I don't have what it takes. Never have and never will.

The "I am" thing can also be taken to the extreme, such that each day you look in a mirror and chant over and over to yourself "I am..." and it's all very positive stuff. Called affirmations. I've never done it. But there are experts that teach it.

It doesn't mean you can't "succeed" without an extremely positive attitude. Because there are plenty of songwriters and musicians with self-deprecating attitudes. In fact, it kinda seems to drive them... constantly trying to improve their latest songs so they stay on top, so they don't "lose it."

Just rambling...

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

uuuhhhhaa (tap tap) is this thing on?

ah...aye guess i'm here cause i have a problem.

ah... my ah...my problem is that i am obsessed with music.

Have been since i was 7 or 8.

Discovered Physical Graphitti around that time, it was the same year Elvis died. i remember hanging out with this Guy Mike Kinney who was like 10 years older than me and i was helping him fix his dirt bike in the garage when it came on the radio that the King Bit it.

We both kinda stopped what we were doing i remember and talked about it for a bit.

Mike was soley responsible for turning me on to music at that age and he talked to me about music alot.

He had about a thousand records. Everthing cool and somestuff i didn't care much for too.

About year later he got a Raven Les paul copy for christmas.

To me Jimmy page was the absolute ruler of the universe at that point. When i saw that guitar, in real life(we had no music stores in the area i grew up in)I just about crapped my pants. What a machine! The metal the wood, ahhh.

And he wouldn't let me hold it!!It drove me crazy

With in 2 years i had my own Raven les paul and an acoustic and was taking lessons. Mike never learned anything on the guitar but he supported me like crazy in those years.

He married and alcholic girl from my high school and now lives in a house with alot of kids, dirty dishes and cats.

I always used to think if i get a huge world tour, i'd hire him as stage manager.

After high school i went to a Good college and took a program called commercial music which was mostly focused on Jazz as a learning device.

I was there for three years and took some composition and tons of theory and learned my guitar a little better.

I've spent 3ish years full time on the road.Over the years I've played in, led, done sound for and booked; jazz, fusion, blues,country bands and 2 Guitar voice duos.

The biggest show i've ever done was to crowd of about 6 thousand in Craven Big Valley in Saskatchewan on the main stage with that years Saskatchewan male country vocalist of the year, new artist and best album holder.

We got a standing ovation.

It was pretty cool.

we were signing autagraphs and stuff.

But that's it.

otherwise i'm just a shmo from the north who likes his private quiet life.

I have built a good little studio and have been studying recording and computers for the last 4 years.

Up until 6 months or so ago i was still taking bar gigs but i can't anymore. I just can't.

So i'm soley focusing on writing now.

I play guitar, bass, some keys and sing(sorta).

I'll be posting some new music in the next 2 weeks, otherwise i have one song up that i did on my computer before i had any good gear to speak of, i used only 58's to record everything and it sounds really flat and lifeless, but i got the tune down anyway.

You can hear it here

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/279/jim_holland.html as well as some demos of my old band in Vancouver.

I made those on a Roland Vs-840.(with 58's)

:)

Originally posted by halljams:

I'll be posting some new music in the next 2 weeks, otherwise i have one song up that i did on my computer before i had any good gear to speak of, i used only 58's to record everything and it sounds really flat and lifeless, but i got the tune down anyway.

You can hear it here

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/279/jim_holland.html as well as some demos of my old band in Vancouver.

I made those on a Roland Vs-840.(with 58's)

Hey, that's a clever song, Jim. I like it. I like master Zap's re-mix.

I hope you do post some raw songwriting recordings. I look forward to hearing them.

Regards,

Dan Worley

Originally posted by halljams:

uuuhhhhaa (tap tap) is this thing on?

ah...aye guess i'm here cause i have a problem.

ah... my ah...my problem is that i am obsessed with music.

"Bout darned time...

"Don't Change Horses" Yeah! Can' wait to hear new stuff on the Songwriters post.

Our Joint

Thanks for listening guys.

I have a bunch of stuff that is partially finished or scetched out that i would like opinions on, but can someone tell me a good method for uploading some stuff into storage somewhere or something. Is that how it works?

I don't know, i don't have a web page yet and i have only used MP3.com. i notice alot of guys just have a link and a tune appears from somewhere. How do i do that? I'm not going to wait for mp3.com to load stuff up for me, nor would i want a bunch of rough ideas up on there.

I just love asking really obvious questions, but i really don't have a clue!

Help

:freak:

Halljams,

The Waxman has a unique lyric and a very catchy tune, I liked it. Did you play all of the instruments yourself or do you actually have a band that writes the materials together?

As far as Who's Who in this post, my name is AniFa and I am the creator and founder of an international music business resource network titled MusicBizBuzz The site provides thousands of resources for music, entertainment, and trade industry professionals and it has gained global recognition in the music business with the provision of an in site multilingual translator. I started the site while recuperating from a major surgery where I had spent 6 out of 8 days of a hospital stay on life support equipment. I had written songs for the last 25 years and always before I had allowed others to dictate my destiny. While in recovery, I spent a lot of time re-evaluating my dreams that I had put to sleep to appease others in my life. I realized that every dream that I had ever had had gone into helping others materialize their dreams; needless to say, without appreciation from those I helped to build. Still hashing out post-divorce issues and dealing with attorneys involving an ugly and devastating break-up, I decided that it was time to claim my individuality once again and go back after my own dreams for a change, regardless of the financial crisis.

Being 40 years old at the time, I realized that to introduce myself as an artist (especially having two young children) would be insane; although I love to sing materials that I have written. I knew that I could not tour, and I also knew that the competition from youthful artists would be more than tremendous. I decided to pursue what I had always wanted to do in my early years when I had sought music from before; although I had been approached by several professional organizations to become an Songwriter/Artist, I merely wanted to write. I have always prefered more of a behind-the-scenes approach, which has been a major player in launching my web site. The success of the site has zapped me of my creative energies and I find that I spend more time building on my site than writing songs.

I built the site to have a portal at my fingertips to showcase my songwriting abilities, and in maintaining the site, I find that I have very little time for music. Tonight I visited this message board so that I could review the functionality of Forum service providers to evaluate a software product that I am in the market for to add interactivity to my own site...... I got lost inside of my dreams again, realizing how far I've drifted away from my true focus again; songwriting. When I noticed the new addition of a songwriting forum I had to come in and peek around; I've spent the entire night browsing through different posts and putting my two cents in here and there and it's been very refreshing to me. It's very easy to get caught up into corporate ingenuity and to lose sight of a dream once again, but, as important as it should have been for me to be shopping for different forum packages; I have not exited this forum since I arrived hours ago. I have many ideas on what I would like to see on my site, but before I jump in feet first, perhaps I should discuss the possibility of partnership in some sort of way with MPN sharing my idealism in regard to globalization of the music business.

As a songwriter, I do not consider myself to be much of an arranger in musical content as I lean towards synthesizers to create my background music rather than composing each layer of music individually; but I have confidence in my lyrical and melodic structure and in my projection. It would be an honor to team up with skilled professionals that write well balanced musical compositions in collaboration with me to bring my songs to what I would consider a professional scale. You may hear some of my songs that I have uploaded into my site located under Whispers of Ani`Fa , one of my favorites is Everything You Do .

:o Most of the uploaded files are soft love songs, but I have hundreds more in my own personal catalog of songs ranging from relaxing to radical. Keep in mind that I am not an engineer and that the songs were written, arranged, performed and recorded by myself on an analog 8 track recorder. At this very moment, some of the songs posted do not have sound files behind them; only lyrics. Others have the music dropped in the background and yet others require a download to hear the music. Eventually, as time permits, all the sound will be loaded in as background music.

Musical Regards,

AniFa

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Add on:

MusicBizBuzz has been online since January 10th of 2001, so I've been doing the web thingy for nearly two years. I read through this and realized that I had not mentioned the duration.

Ani`Fa

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

MAN!!!

What is this...a songwriters forum or an AA meeting...? ;)

"Hello, my name is "Joe Songster", I've been writing music for 15 years...lost my wife, house and dog because I just can't stop writing songs...I need help...". :cry:

Like Catholics at a Sunday morning confessional trying to rid themselves of that everlasting "original sin" that got dumped on them back in catechism when they were kids. :D

It's OK to be a songwriter"I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!"

Like I said in another post on this forumI always assumed that most of the folks on these forums were songwritersyes, engineers, producers, musicians too, but also songwriters.

I guess I found out that there are some here who ONLY engineer or ONLY produce or ONLY play.

But, not looking to slam anyoneI'm a bit skeptical about a producer who's never even tried to write a songor a musician that can play but has never taken pen-in-hand. And the ONLY engineerswellit would nice to know that they can pick up a guitar and strum a few bars at least

I meanit really is ALL about the S-O-N-Gisn't in it???

So, it's nice to work with people that understand what it takes to create a song from scratchTHEN we can worry about playing, engineering and producing the shit out of it!!! :P

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

My name`s Casey. I go by the screen name Kcbass. I`m trying to become a songwriter of Christian music. No walls, no barriers, just sweet music and lyrics. I would also like to play B3 organ. Just need to practice more. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

:wave: I'm Kim. Better known as KTempo. I hang out at the Keyboard fourm 'cause that's what I play. I'm not a guitarist because I don't wanna get those dang on blisters or calluses on my precious finger tips! Did have a semester worth of lessons though :D . I breeze through the other forums for helpful recording tips--rarely do I post in 'em--umm, more like never. I want to improve on my songwriting skills of the little skills that I do have :o:cry: . So I'm glad that this forum is available now.

:thu:

Originally posted by anifa:

Halljams,

The Waxman has a unique lyric and a very catchy tune, I liked it. Did you play all of the instruments yourself or do you actually have a band that writes the materials together?

AniFa

Hi AniFa.

Thanks for checking out my tune. The way i did that one was; i recorded and wrote all the parts and did the arrangment.I originally had a drum loop going through the tune. Then when i finished all my parts i hired a drummer to play along without the drum loop and also got some other friends to overdub parts(frettless bass and slide guitar).

I listened to "Everything you do". It's a pretty song. I really like the jazzy keyboard(guitar strum) swell thingys at the beginning and end.

Your modest production is quite pallatable and the song comes across nicely. :)

I am a little asshole from Germany, named after a holy man I don`t want to name.

I can`t do anything concerned to music, I am just producing rubbish all the time.

Nobody likes my rubbish because it`s such a kind of shit you can`t listen to longer than five seconds.

Still reading? Congratulations! You`re nearly through. :bor:

I can`t write poems but here`s another one:

COLD WIND (January 2001)

While this cold wind`s blowing

I can``t feel ok.

Turn your heart against me

and I`ll break away.

Can`t you see it in my eyes

that I really ache.

But all we do in these days of shade

is just a fake.

:evil::rolleyes:

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

..hexaChord - independent movement for artificial arts..

Halljams,

Thanks for the compliment on Everything You Do, I enjoy writing Love Songs. I'm impressed that you played many of the instruments yourself, wrote the song and performed it as well. You have great potential in my own opinion. You have a very nice voice too.

Ani`Fa

Archived