Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding out what a piece of music says to me

Rim

I have a very hard time writing songs. I can come up with some good guitar riffs or chord changes but then don't know how to go from there. I would ask other people who write many songs and a lot ask me "What does it say to you?" To be honest, my answer is: "I don't know"

So, how do you find out what a piece of music says to you? Do you just close your eyes and let your muse show you the way or something like that? I get the feeling my muse has been on an extended vacation! :D

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riffing,

I have the same problems. I can come up with some good parts of songs, and then I don't know where to go. Lately, it just hit me (Maybe its my muse). I have been going to older parts that I have recorded years ago, and all of a sudden I have been able to complete some of these parts and make whole songs. I think it takes time and patience, but in my case I do have to admit that years is a long time to write 5 minute songs.

How's that go...10% inspiration and 90% perspiration...(or something like that).

Occasionally an entire song will just unfold itself with almost minimal conscious effort on my part. Words, music, arrangement...man, all I need to do is hit RECORDQUICK!!!

But most of the time...I get a small piece...a few words...a great bridge...

...and after that it's like squeezing water from a stone!!!

I just have keep at it...sometimes putting it aside (even for 5 years) and then getting back to it,

I've found that even with a few key pieces, if I really work at it, I can get it out. But, I have to be careful not to force it too much or I might kill it in the process.

There's no equation or sure-fire method...each tune is different and might require a different approach to get it to "come out"...but rest assured...it's in there...somewhere...

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

My suggestion? Find a writing partner. Many people struggle to come up with great instrumental "hooks" and melodic lines, and those are things YOU can contribute! So find someone who likes similar styles as you, but who has the ability to write lyrics and understands song structure. Try working on things with them and see what develops. And in the process, you're probably going to pick up a LOT of ideas that will help you in writing on your own. It's going to be a great learning experience for you.

You can also consider taking a music compositional class and a creative writing class at your local community college. Both of these types of classes can be very beneficial...

But the most important thing is probably just to write. Your early efforts will probably not stop traffic, but the more you write, the more you learn, the better you get. So study, work with others - AND WRITE!

http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://www.ssrstudio.com

pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Good idea from Phil. McCartney once had an idea for a verse:

"Try to see it my way..." etc...

No bridge. Needed something else. It was Lennon who came up with the "Life is very short" bit. All that turned around on Sgt. Pepper, when Lennon had the "I read the news today oh boy" bit, but no bridge. Macca had a bridge... "Woke up, fell out of bed", but no verse. And so betwixt the both of them...

I think sometimes you can get too close to a composition to see what it really needs. A collaborator can offer that different perspective. Sometimes. Sometimes you'll get a "collaborator" that wants to take the song where you don't want it to go. Watch out for those, and, remember, it's ultimately your song. If you're writing a ballad, and your collaborator wants to double time the middle eight and put in some shred solo that won't fit...put your foot down.

Above all, keep it simple. The days of Yes and Kansas's 15-20 minute long epochs are generally past.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Riffing~

Maybe, have you ever just: closed off the world, put on your headphones, plugged in your amp, and played your riff over and over again?

My point is to try and FEEL your music. Waht comes up for you? What images, memories, thoughts, words,even colors come up? It's your song and your vision -tell us what you see and feel!

Also, I do believe in co-writers too.

I am so grateful for people I've worked with who can do what I cannot!!

I might be alone in this thought, but I'd say don't get caught up in trying to do the verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge and beyond thing. To me that is soooooo Nashville. The best songs I ever wrote came to me in short order. The ones I labored over, trying to get all the phrasing just right and planting those hooks.......sound just like you might think....contrived. I'd say write for yourself, first and foremost......everything else is gravy.

Depends what you're after I guess. I remember reading a story about Gillian Welch and a famous producer trying to sell her on adding a bridge to one of her songs....sometimes a nudge in the right direction or wrong direction is a good thing....sometimes not. Like I said before, I believe you gotta write for yourself FIRST. But I ain't wrote no hits......so take it with a grain of salt. :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Nickelg11:

Riffing~

Maybe, have you ever just: closed off the world, put on your headphones, plugged in your amp, and played your riff over and over again?

My point is to try and FEEL your music. Waht comes up for you? What images, memories, thoughts, words,even colors come up? It's your song and your vision -tell us what you see and feel!

:thu: Cool Nicole...this is the first post I've read from you...I can already tell I'm going to like this room a lot :)

Originally posted by Nickelg11:

Riffing~

Can't say I've tried that but I will. I guess I was curious of whether people were actually getting the stuff you mentioned and apparently, some people do. I guess it's like free associating. I think my obstacle is I'll fiddle around the guitar and find something I like but I don't think about why I like it besides me thinking "it's cool". Probably why I like it is the message?

Thanks for the tip, Nicole!

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived