Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Usage of Photo for the alleged tomb of Jesus

Yes, that subject header is actually for real. In 1997, I took a picture of Khanyar Rozabal in the old town of Srinagar, Kashmir, which is considered by many Kashmiris and some Biblical history scholars to be the tomb of Jesus. A long story, but basically, some theorize that he survived the crucifixion and escaped to the Himalayas. Within the last few days, I received an email from not one but two people writing two different books on Jesus in Kashmir. I've reprinted part of an email below from one gentleman. I've asked for a little more information on the book, but in the mean time, I was wondering if anyone happened to know what the going rate is for a picture used in a book of comparative religions targeted to a limited (scholarly) audience. My interest is simply to receive something that is fair, and not to gouge anyone for money or anything like that. Is what he is asking for typical or standard (if there is such a thing)? Thank you very much for any opinions. -------------- >I am working on a book on comparative religions > targeted to a limited (scholarly) audience. The book > is organized in two volumes having several hundreds > of > pages each, and an additional third volume > containing > illustrations to the first two volumes. > > I would like to ask you for your kind permission to > use at no charge your image of Rauzabal > found on the website > http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/Ladakh15.JPG > in order to use it in my third volume.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that since it is not a commercial book you should consider letting him use it for free as he asks. I don't think these publications make money but they are done with money from some kind of a grant.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Yeah, for the one on the poste email sample, I'd be inclined to give the guy limited use. You could put a number limit on the quantity, say 1000 copies & anything over require royalties or a lump payment. When my friends & I put out our ego album, Dakota Night, we used photographs for the cover and label art from a photographer up in Northwest Territories just for the credits on the cd's and cassettes & no other charge. We also sent out a cd & cassette to the guy. Just something to think about as far as the credits probably being worth more than any expected royalties.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• 2 weeks later...
>> I think that since it is not a commercial book you should consider letting him use it for free as he asks. I don't think these publications make money but they are done with money from some kind of a grant. >> As I emailed with him further, that ended up being the case. I inquired about his books a little bit, and the guy really doesn't have any money. I think either almost or literally all of his photos are donations from organizations or other photographers. I consented to having him use the photo. It's a book primarily for other scholars, and the guy just isn't rolling in dough, so I'll get the credit, and that's about it. You know, the funny thing about this is that I was using a malfunctioning cheapy Ricoh manual camera that was just awful. I was lucky to even have the photos come out, since the camera destroyed some of my film from other parts of the trip. Parts of the photo are out of focus, while other parts are in focus because the film wasn't seated properly in the camera (I didn't discover this until I went home and had the film developed). Despite this, the guy who requested the picture said that it's the best picture of Khanyar Rozabal he's seen. Funny. I've taken some really good quality pictures, some of which have ended up in travel magazines, but this is the first one I will have had in a book, and someone chooses one of the more technically awful pictures I've taken!

I personally can't wait to see the movie based around the premise that Jesus is cloned from the blood on the shroud of Tarin. Of course Jeff Goldblum will play Jesus (who will really be the anti-Christ) You heard it here first. "Jurassic Messiah"

Archived