Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Real Reason Folks Leave California

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
A good friend that I grew up with moved to L.A. about 13 years ago and applied at Disney. Now he is an animator and has his name on ALL the big movies. He was born knowing how to draw and loved Disney as a kid. I guess he made a good choice to take that leap of faith. I've never been to Calif. Should I go? Why? Why not? If I don't go, where should I go instead? I've never been much of a traveler. :bor:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

From a Colorado perspective: Probably because they've trashed that state, and need to find a new place to trash; then they all come out here trash the place, then complain that it's 'getting to be too much like California'.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]From a Colorado perspective: Probably because they've trashed that state, and need to find a new place to trash; then they all come out here trash the place, then complain that it's 'getting to be too much like California'.[/b][/quote]I totally agree. After growing up in Orange County, I left California to escape the over crowding, and ended up in Denver. It was amazing to see all the development that was done by the same people who developed much of South Orange County. I ended up having to move back to OC, but I can't stand it. It seems like everything that made me want to leave in the first place has gotten worse.

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

[quote]Probably because they've trashed that state, and need to find a new place to trash; then they all come out here trash the place, then complain that it's 'getting to be too much like California'[/quote]There is no State in the Union that takes in more people FROM California than it exports TO California. But thanks for the invitation.

"There is no State in the Union that takes in more people FROM California than it exports TO California. But thanks for the invitation. " I would mightily disagree with you on this one; I live here, and I watch it, day in, day out. I see the plates, hear the talk, read the numbers. State government has it's pants down on trying to deal with the influx. And no, it's NOT an invitiation.

I was born and raised in Colorado, lived in the Inland Empire for only two years, early 90's. One of the true freedoms here in the USA, is the freedom of movement. To go someplace new and start over. It is a part of our historical fabric. We, that live out West, should understand this. None of us are indiginous, even the native Americans migrated here. All said and done, I'm glad to be back in Colorado! :cool: Nitecrawler
"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

Lived in LA from 1991-1997. Hated it for two years, loved it for five. I am convinced that people who hate Los Angeles (like I did at first) don't know it. Most of the problem with LA is that it isn't what anyone wants or expects it to be - but once you get past that and realize what it IS, it's an incredible place. If you dig hard and keep your heart open - eventually it repays. And as for all the snobbish (fill in as appropriate: Oregonians/Coloradans/Washingtonians) out there who whine about Cali-flight ... get over it. I'm betting all your ancestors aren't natives either. One people, one planet - none of us "deserve" any of it. FWIW, I left LA to work overseas, then moved back to NYC, having realized that this is a great country, regardless of where you are in it.

"And as for all the snobbish (fill in as appropriate: Oregonians/Coloradans/Washingtonians) out there who whine about Cali-flight ... get over it. I'm betting all your ancestors aren't natives either. One people, one planet - none of us "deserve" any of it." Perhaps. But that's a rather glib way of looking at it. From our perspective, it's a matter of people who ignore the environment, tarnish resources, and generally drain their surroundings of any of it's beauty/draw quality, and go somewhere else that isn't fucked up, only to behave the same way, and bulldoze their way through someone else's lives. As long as they ignore the bigger picture, yes, we're going to seem like snobs; if being perceived by you as 'snobbish' is the price I pay for being aware of my environment and desiring a more meaningful place of residence, where I can enjoy my surroundings instead of having to fight them, then it's a small one. Besides, if none of us 'deserve' it, then shouldn't we be treating it a lot better since we DO have it?

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]But that's a rather glib way of looking at it. [/b][/quote]Perhaps it IS "glib" to assume that once you stir the pot, people are people. But to my way of thinking it's a heck of a lot more constructive than merely blaming OTHER people for problems. And being "glib" is actually am important way of life if, like most big-city dwellers, you have to share limited space and resources with other people. [quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]From our perspective[/b][/quote]Wow - "from our perspective," immediately preceding sweeping generalizations that damn a whole state worth of people. Surely you don't believe that you can accurately conclude that a person driving around Colorado with a California license plate is someone who fits the category you describe: [quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]people who ignore the environment, tarnish resources, and generally drain their surroundings of any of it's beauty/draw quality, and go somewhere else that isn't fucked up, only to behave the same way, and bulldoze their way through someone else's lives.[/b][/quote]You'd get no argument from me against the idea that we should all be treating the environment better. But you might be pleasantly surprised at how many people in California actually share your values about the environment. The difference is that places like Los Angeles also have to deal with a lot of other competing social policy and ecological issues that much of the country has so far been spared. But soon enough, everyone will have to deal with it. And as to your original comment ... [quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]Probably because they've trashed that state, and need to find a new place to trash; then they all come out here trash the place, then complain that it's 'getting to be too much like California'. [/b][/quote]... It doesn't take a genius to see that finger-pointing like this will do exactly NOTHING to address problems that people across the country (and the world) will be facing all too soon ...

[quote]Originally posted by music-man: [b] I am convinced that people who hate Los Angeles (like I did at first) don't know it. Most of the problem with LA is that it isn't what anyone wants or expects it to be - but once you get past that and realize what it IS, it's an incredible place.[/b][/quote]Well I grew up there so I know it QUITE well and had no preconceived ideas about it. I still hated it. I had some very cool experiences living there, for a time, but after awhile they were not enough to make up for its drawbacks. One person's hell is another's paradise, and all that. I think either you resonate with a place and feel at home there, or you don't. Lots of people really seem to like living in L.A. and I don't get it, but more power to 'em if they like it. I just hope they stay there. :D --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]A good friend that I grew up with moved to L.A. about 13 years ago and applied at Disney. Now he is an animator and has his name on ALL the big movies. He was born knowing how to draw and loved Disney as a kid. I guess he made a good choice to take that leap of faith. :bor: [/b][/quote]Did he survive the layoffs ? They're scaling the Los Angeles animation department down to six people by September. Wonder if your friend will stay in L.A. Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

[quote]Originally posted by robmix: [b][ :bor: [/b][/quote]Did he survive the layoffs ? They're scaling the Los Angeles animation department down to six people by September. Wonder if your friend will stay in L.A.[/QB][/QUOTE] I don't know. We were inseperable from age 0-14 and then we kind of drifted apart. I have been meaning to get in touch with him for many years now and have just never figured out how to break the 20year silence. I hope he isn't laid off. I know that he hooked up with them just before they started doing the big feature length movies again -I don't think he's ever worked on the stuff for TV. But I know he has been in all of the big motion picture stuff, and has been flown all over the world for screenings and stuff. I understand that the animators job is so intensive that they have massage therepists on hand to loosen them up during breaks.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

music-man, 'From our perspective' is simply me following your lead, initiated with the statement that began thus: "And as for all the snobbish (fill in as appropriate: Oregonians/Coloradans/Washingtonians) out there..." You provided the categorization. I simply spoke to it.

But ya know it's your state of mind that matters more than what State you're in. If you get a lot of people saying this sux then some people will follow that lead because feelings are contagious. Sometimes you have to innoculate yourself and find out what YOU think. L.A. is just another city, much like any other city in our country. Same thing with New York, people like to romantisize places, but everytime I drive by N.Y. on the interstate I just go hmmmm looks like a big city to me, could be Cincinnati or Washington or whatever. Personally I'm ready to head for the mountains and I'm taking all my gadgets with me.

Archived