Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple did a Nice thing

My dual 2.5 G5 was not working quite right (intermittant kernel panics that the genius bar at the store wasn't able to fully eradicate) so Apple said they'd give me a new one in exchange. However, since they have upgraded their line, they exchanged my dual 2.5 with a dual 2.7 with all the bells and whistles (upgraded drives, superdrive, video card, etc.) instead.

How nice is that?!

In return, I will be taking the Apple side of things in subsequent Apple vs. PC debates for a period of no less than one year.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 5 years ago, I bought a dual 500Mhz, at the time their top of the line. It was a lemon out of the box. Since I bought at the end of their life, Apple sent me a dual 800Mhz, with a superdrive(that the dual 5 didn't have) no charge.

14 months later, the dual 8 croaked. Apple upgraded me to a dual 1Ghz, supplied me with the necessary ram to outfit the machine as my dual 8 was (dual 8 took 4x256mb sets to max out, dual 1Ghz takes 3x512) again no charge. (Applecare extended warrantee).

Basically I paid $2000 for a $3700 machine. Apple is the bomb when it comes to taking care of problems.

Add to that, when I got the new Dual 1Ghz, my applecare extended warranty began anew, so, even though my initial purchase was almost 5 years ago, I am still for a few months covered under applecare.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by Brittanylips:

My dual 2.5 G5 was not working quite right (intermittant kernel panics that the genius bar at the store wasn't able to fully eradicate) so Apple said they'd give me a new one in exchange. However, since they have upgraded their line, they exchanged my dual 2.5 with a dual 2.7 with all the bells and whistles (upgraded drives, superdrive, video card, etc.) instead.

How nice is that?!

In return, I will be taking the Apple side of things in subsequent Apple vs. PC debates for a period of no less than one year.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Understood.

Congrats on the replacement!

;)

Yep same thing happened to me - had a dud powerbook for 3 months - after multiple repair attempts they did a brand new replace and of course the specs had ramped up considerably.

:thu:

Originally posted by Sylver:

Wow, that's great news. Makes me feel more justified for getting the Apple care for my new Power Mac!

An Apple without AppleCare is like, well, I'm not sure what it's like, but I would definately get AppleCare!

Considering that AppleCare gives you an endless supply of technical help calls, and the cost of years of AppleCare is just about the same as the cost of one single call for Logic Tech Help (Apple's worst moment is their outrageous pricing on Logic Tech Help calls), it is SO worth it.

-Peace, Love, and Blips

Fair enough.. when talking about Mac vs. PC customer service ;)

:wave:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Service on my Dell has been excellent. A rubber foot fell off the refurbished notebook the first day or two. They FedEx'ed me a new self-adhesive rubber foot the next business day. Hopefully the next year and a half will be as slick...

:D

[Actually, it was watching Dell service a pal's notbook on the same kind of next-day onsite contract I bought that pointed me toward Dell for mine. He kind of generates his own trouble, but they were on top of it the whole way.]

Originally posted by phaeton:

I gotta say, this dual 2.7 is pretty sweet. And the latest operating system, Tiger, is better in actual use than what I read of it. The Widgets, for example, I though sounded kind of gimmicky, but I really like them. Plus, Spotlight.

-PL&B

I gotta say, this dual 2.7 is pretty sweet. And the latest operating system, Tiger, is better in actual use than what I read of it. The Widgets, for example, I though sounded kind of gimmicky, but I really like them. Plus, Spotlight.

Cool.

Service on my Dell has been excellent. A rubber foot fell off the refurbished notebook the first day or two. They FedEx'ed me a new self-adhesive rubber foot the next business day. Hopefully the next year and a half will be as slick...

Cool.

He kind of generates his own trouble, but they were on top of it the whole way.]

/me nods in understandment ;)

Actually, i've both seen first hand and heard/read second hand stories about various PC brands and Apple when it comes to service, support, sales, etc. Both good and bad. Some more bad, some more good, but that could just be luck of the draw.

Never bought a computer "off-the-shelf" myself, so i don't have any personal experience with my own stuff when dealing with the big guys (done a bunch of stuff for customers though.)

Hear-say stories have a lot of weight and can polarize people. One guy i work with can't shaddup about my "piece of shit Ford" but it's about once or twice a month that I have to use it to drive someone in his family down to the local GM dealer to pick up one of their Oldsmolemons from the shop. I'm sure someone else has a story that can counteract my experiences.

i.e. my girlfriend's dad has an F-150 that is always broken. But he loves it. *shrug*

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived