Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Admit a schlocky soft-rock song you like

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

...Does Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) count as schlock-rock? ;)

dB

I'd say it does. I've always like that one as well. Then again, I wasn't sure if "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from Andrew Lloyd Webber's JCS counted either. :confused:

:shrug:

:wave:

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted."

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time." What a great song.

curious why that's a schlocky song. mellow yes, but i mean miles davis covered it! btw, i used to know the guy who wrote it. we were out to dinner in the early 80's and he told me that his first royalty check for "time after time" was 100 grand..... scared the shit out of him. then he went out and upgraded his yamaha DX7.... :)

-d. gauss

Originally posted by DC:

Several Janis Ian and what was that girl that McCartney produced, she had some great album stuff with just her singing and acoustic and string quartet. Her singles were 'Goodbye' and 'Those Were The Days...'

His cousin, Mary Hopkin.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I prefer the Patti Smith version myself!

Lee, that surprises me... not at all!

I should have mentioned her as well, but I'm glad you did, 'cause I like that one too! :thu:

There's a lot here that are on my list; later, when the wine has dissipated into the sewer system, I'll compile it all.

BUT...for the moment...I have to say that DENNYF is on CRACK. Might be a lark; we're all entitled to that.

"Goodbye To Love" is quite possibly the worst guitar tone on record (with the possible exception of Jerry Garcia's anemic warble-noodling).

It reeks of the A2 running out to the room and poking 90 No. 2 pencils into the speakers of a solid-state amp (like THAT needs any help to sound worse).

Great song, ass solo tone.

"I'll say goodbyeeee, to taste..."

And to think the guitarist got paid scale for that. Maybe royalties, too.

I wonder if the engineer and producer slept at night knowing they'd unleashed that abomination of humanity on AM radio?

Back to the Weasel: "Longer" is a long-time fav of mine. GREAT tune.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by miki:

"Because the Night (belongs to lovers)" - B. Springstein - but I like the 10,000 Maniacs version with Natalie Merchant doing vocals.

Ditto!

"Tiny Dancer" Elton

Or is it "Tony Danza"? :D

"Hold me close now, Tony Danza...

Count the headlights on the highway..."

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Another vote for "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. But does this actually count? This song is amazing!! Very underrated vocalist as well. I saw her do this live version of "Money Changes Everything" that seemed to channel Janis Joplin.

I've always liked that song and I probably wouldn't include it in this list at first blush.

I mean, Miles Davis covered it. That's gotta be good for something...

Originally posted by offramp:

BUT...for the moment...I have to say that DENNYF is on CRACK. Might be a lark; we're all entitled to that.

"Goodbye To Love" is quite possibly the worst guitar tone on record

:D Well, yeah, it's one of those things you liked as a kid that totally grosses you out now . . . like, uh, Spaghetti-Os.

Back then, I thought fuzz-tones were cool. I liked Frijid Pink too.

As fuzz goes, it's the fuzziest! Or at least, bristly-est.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

When Offramp said that "Goodbye to Love" had 'quite possibly the worst guitar tone on record' -- I immediately thought of Frigid Pink's House of the Rising Sun.

I saw Frigid Pink, dude. I saw them.

And I saw Crabby Appleton, too... on the same bill, if I remember right. Let's just say I got my fill of fuzz...

Great topic......I got a few of 'em:

Moonlight Feels Right Starbuck

Snoopy vs The Red Baron The Royal Guardsmen

Red Rubber Ball The Cyrkle

Snowbird Anne Murray

"You're either WITH me, or you're AGIN' Me!" (Yosemite Sam)

Originally posted by d gauss:

duh!

-d. gauss

Not really 'duh' if you consider different covers with slightly different lyrics and vocalists... lending different intensities. It's rare that if I like a cover of any original and even rarer if like it better, but that's just me. Ymmv. :)

Originally posted by theblue1:

When Offramp said that "Goodbye to Love" had 'quite possibly the worst guitar tone on record' -- I immediately thought of Frigid Pink's House of the Rising Sun.

Yeah, I used to lie awake in bed listening to WLS on my am clock radio, hopin' HORS would come on.

But hey, it's "Frijid," not "Frigid." The Pink were 'way to psychedelic, or outrageous or stupid, or something, for correct spelling.

I'll scan the album cover if I hafta . . . ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

I own most of Bon Jovi's collection, take your pick. Or how about Richie Sambora's solo Father Time.

Alone - Heart

Might As Well Be On Mars- Alice Cooper

It Must Have Been Love - Roxette

Ok, I'll stop now before I embarass myself (not that I'm ever really embarassed by my clearly flawless musical tastes) :D

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Paul Davis - "I Go Crazy"

Time and place thing...first love falling apart and all that. I can still get a little weepy if I hear it late at night in the dark.

Isn't it cool how a song can do that after almost thirty years?

:D

this house is empty now...

Originally posted by Programgirl:

and 'Right Down the Line' by Gerry Rafferty [/QB]

I just learned yesterday that he was in Stealer's Wheel and wrote "Stuck In The Middle With You". I thought that was interesting.

For the longest time I didn't know that Timothy B. Schmidt of The Eagles (Who wrote "I Can't Tell You Why")was in Poco ("Amy, whatchoo gonna Do?")

I like discovering those kinds of connections, even way after the fact.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Admit a schlocky soft-rock song you like

NEVER!!! Remember what Felix Unger(Tony Randall/Odd Couple) acted like when he was forced to switch roles with Oscar and live like a slob?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Okay, I'll play. I have a weakness for pretty much anything by Steven Schwarz, the musical theater guy: Godspell, Pippen, Magic show, etc). vintage '60s and '70s "drama mama" schlock.

For a couple of choice, non-Godspell specimens of it, how about Corner of the Sky, from Pippen, and the famous weeper Lion Tamer from Magic Show?

He was no Sondheim, but if he were, he wouldn't qualify for this thread, now would he?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by miki:

"Because the Night (belongs to lovers)" - B. Springstein - but I like the 10,000 Maniacs version with Natalie Merchant doing vocals.

It hurts me to say this because I think of the Maniacs as a hometown band (they played a LOT of Buffalo bars in the early 80s), but I much prefer Bruce's and Patti Smith's versions; to me, Natalie Merchant (who I normally like) has no sense of dynamics on that song, sings every part of it in the same sing-songy way, and sucks most of the life out of the song.

My favorite schlocky song is gonna make everyone who's played in a bar/wedding band cringe: "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton.

I'm truly sorry.

Archived