Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classical Poon

How very "Rock n Roll" of them.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1658941,00.html

--------------------------

The truth of making sweet music

By James Bone

Oboest bares her soul - and more - to expose musical casting couches

A PROFESSIONAL oboist has lifted the curtain on sex, drugs and nepotism in the world of classical music.

Blair Tindall, who played with the New York Philharmonic, offers an unseemly tour behind the scenes in a book entitled Mozart in the Jungle.

Tindall claims that sex played a decisive role in her musical career. She says she was simultaneously involved with three leading New York oboists two married who gave her work in their orchestras. One had a maxim: The section that lays together plays together.

She describes leaping naked into a hotel pool with a leading member of a touring Andrew Lloyd Webber production who subsequently made love to her in his hotel suite as exuberantly as he performed music. He then lit a postcoital cigarette and offered her a job on Lloyd Webbers new Aspects of Love in New York. Why, I thought, did I bother with an answering machine? Tindall writes. Between XXX and my former oboist boyfriends, I got hired for most of my gigs in bed.

Although Tindalls 25-year music career included such highlights as working with Leonard Bernstein, she also had to make money recording Karaoke music, and got so bored on Broadway that she would read magazines on her music stand while playing in the orchestra pit.

Now in her mid-forties, she says she dated almost every classical musician around my age as well as some who were not, including two of her high-school music teachers.

Instrument players had a sexual style unique to their instrument, she writes. Neurotic violinists, anonymous in their orchestra section, came fast. Trumpet players pumped away like jocks, while pianists sensitive fingers worked magic. French horn players, their instruments the testiest of all, could rarely get it up, but percussionists could make beautiful music out of anything.

One man not granted anonymity in the book is the Boston Pops conductor Keith Lockhart. Tindall claims that she had sex with him and that he invited her to Salt Lake City, where he was music director of the Utah Symphony. The night before my departure he called to cancel because his wife was suddenly visiting him to get pregnant, she says.

Mr Lockhart has issued a statement insisting that the relationship was at no time anything more than friendship.

Disenchanted with the classical music world, Tindall went to Stanford University to study journalism and has written for The New York Times.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hendmik:

Instrument players had a sexual style unique to their instrument, she writes. Neurotic violinists, anonymous in their orchestra section, came fast. Trumpet players pumped away like jocks, while pianists sensitive fingers worked magic. French horn players, their instruments the testiest of all, could rarely get it up, but percussionists could make beautiful music out of anything.

Them some chump jock trumpeters. Ain't the way I was brought up, pumpin' away like a damned jock.

And you know that embrochure muscle has it's applications. Endurance is endurance, on the souzaphone or the vulvaphone. And practice goes both ways.

:freak:

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

this woman is really just looking for attention. and she'll prolly get it.

all of this stuff is the usual stuff that happens. what's sad is the fact that she has decided to get what she wanted in this way.

unfortunately, lots of folks do engage in this career furthering activity.

i wonder who she slept with to get her articles published...

as for reading a magazine in the orch pit on Broadway....all the 1st call players for the big film scores come to sessions equipped with newspapers, books, magazines, and crossword puzzles. it's surprising at first but you get used to it.

Everyone knows sax is the ultimate instrument... it requires manual dexterity, great tongue technique, great endurance and breath control (at least to play Bari)... and of course, it hardly gets mentioned in classical circles. Go figure. :rolleyes:;)

Typical of an electronic keyboardist, I'm onanistic. I play a 24-bit vulvaphone sampler. Always in tune, and no expensive dinners or flowers to buy... :evil::D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

It's no surprise that she's "Disenchanted with the classical music world".

People in any profession who use sex, lying, cheating, patronage or other methods not related to hard work and talent to get ahead rarely find their vocations satisfying.

I've seen this in business, academia and in the theater. In all cases, those who resorted to such means were never respected by their peers or subordinates.

The only profession in which such methods seem to be acceptable is politics.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Everyone knows sax is the ultimate instrument... it requires manual dexterity, great tongue technique, great endurance and breath control (at least to play Bari)... and of course, it hardly gets mentioned in classical circles. Go figure. :rolleyes:;)

Ravel knew what he was about with that Aflat alto saxophone Rhapsody. Wonder who the lucky lady was?

Sad to say, my vulvaphone technique is getting really rusty... which doesn't help my trumpet chops at all.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

It's no surprise that she's "Disenchanted with the classical music world".

People in any profession who use sex, lying, cheating, patronage or other methods not related to hard work and talent to get ahead rarely find their vocations satisfying.

I've seen this in business, academia and in the theater. In all cases, those who resorted to such means were never respected by their peers or subordinates.

The only profession in which such methods seem to be acceptable is politics.

LOL... no kidding! Big ups to this whole post. :thu:

I have a cousin who was in the ballet for five years. It had been her dream to be in a large reputable company (and hers certainly was!) but in the end, she quit because the "lifestyle" was too much for her to handle. Here she was this innocent little Jewish girl from the Midwest, and she'd go back to the dressing room every night and stumble upon an orgy. Pretty much everybody, she said, slept with everybody else, regardless of gender or marital status or whatever. The stories she told were worse than any rock'n'roll stories I had from the 80's! :eek:

On the other hand I have another cousin who held a first violin chair in the Boston Symphony for 43 years... he just showed up to work, did his thing and went home. No games, no BS, just a happily married guy doing his job like it was any other job. So talent, hard work and ethics CAN win out, it's just a bummer how many people try to win in other ways.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Here she was this innocent little Jewish girl from the Midwest, and she'd go back to the dressing room every night and stumble upon an orgy.

Whenever I'd play in musical assemblages for dramatic purposes (musicals and so on), the cast parties were freakin' crazy. People running around naked, doing things on chandeliers that they weren't designed for and so on.

MUCH more outrageous than most rock-and-roll band parties. The sex, drugs and everything were all right out in the open.

If you weren't a person who was into participating, or were possible offended by seeing your co-workers private parts, it probably wasn't a good business to be in.

- Jeff

Maybe cause I know keith Lockhart, and he did just have a kid, I find the whole kiss and tell thing really disgusting.

The revelation here is not that classical music is more depraved than any other profession, just that it is no better. But by writing about her affairs just to cash in on them - it's enough to turn anyone celibate.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Pictures can be helpful.

does she look a bit worn out, or do i imagine that, because i read the thread?

Yes, the earnest musicians have good parties since the 16th centuries! ...jealous?

:D

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

does she look a bit worn out, or do i imagine that, because i read the thread? :D

I didn't wanna say anything about that.

That's why I posted the picture by itself.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

does she look a bit worn out, or do i imagine that, because i read the thread? :D

I didn't wanna say anything about that.

That's why I posted the picture by itself.

She looks good enough to me. Where her head is at, I can't get into though.

Hmmm... I'm a former trumpet player that now plays keys and was raised by a percussionist violinist combo... So I guess that would make me a dexterous jock with an inborn penchant for making short tunes out of anything.

Or something.

Originally posted by DJDM:

Hmmm... I'm a former trumpet player that now plays keys and was raised by a percussionist violinist combo... So I guess that would make me a dexterous jock with an inborn penchant for making short tunes out of anything.

Or something.

"short tunes out of anything" ????

never heard of extended mixes? or are you into quicktime on apple?

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by DJDM:

Or something.

"short tunes out of anything" ????

never heard of extended mixes? or are you into quicktime on apple?

You mean the 12 inches of pleasure? ;)

She looks shagadelic to me. 'Course, I'm probably a bit older than a few of you guys. You young guys crack me up the way you talk. If she doesn't look like Jenny McCarthy or whatever her name is, you don't want anything to do with admitting you'd do her in a heartbeat.

Now, hmmmmm, I wonder if she'd help me with practicing my vulvaphone lessons.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Botch.:

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Instrument players had a sexual style unique to their instrument,

That made this former trombone player smile. ;)
Dang, being a guitar player now I know why the ladies always looked concerned when I came in with a suit case full of toys.

;)

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

does she look a bit worn out, or do i imagine that, because i read the thread?
25-year music career? That would probably put her in her mid-to-late forties, and I'd say she looks pretty healthy and attractive at that age.

Archived