Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POP OVERLOAD

Lately I've been listening to music on the radio and it all sounds too sweet, and regimented, and overdone, and I'm sick of it. I've heard enough. Enough of Billy Joel and Elton John, and Michael Jackson. :D

What I want is music with an edge to it, music, music, music........

I WANT THE REAL THING and not this facsimile that I've been presented with all my life. I want the real thing and I'm not talking about Coke.

HELP ME! PLEASE!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi TheWewus,

You said, "Lately I've been listening to music on the radio and it all sounds too sweet, and regimented, and overdone" and that, "What I want is music with an edge to it"

My co-writer Ian McCarthy and I have taken some lyrical, performing (Ian) and technical (me) risks with "girlsong." Some people say they like it. It's free at www.johnabney.com. If you decide to check it out, I'd like to know what you think.

best,

John

please visit www.johnabney.com - free music

I actually think the Jack-fm thing that's going on around the country right now isn't such a bad idea for getting a little more variety into radio. I bet that'll move to more playlist extremes if the concept takes off enough.

On another note, I'm not into country radio much, but I've been watching the stuff that's entering the charts. Things like Hillbillies and the stuff by Cowboy Troy. I think full blown rap is about to meet the pedal steel guitars on the country top 40.

hi Bookumdano,

I'd just be glad to have country bring back the pedal steel guitar. I love that sound. Just wish a good pedal steel wasn't so expensive.

Have you heard the Australian group, Brother? They have a song, "Funny" where they mix rap with a didgeridoo. Bagpipes on that one, too, if I recall.

best,

John

please visit www.johnabney.com - free music

Listen to internet radio. There's some good stuff out there.

You can listen via broadband to my favorite KC area station, KTBG (the Bridge), Warrensburg MO

They're a college station (CMSU) and an NPR affiliate. They play mostly acoustic-tinged rock/pop...but with a bit more edge than syrup. Artists like Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Bonnie Raitt, Lucinda Williams...and a lot of newer folks. Not balls-to-the-wall rock, just good tunes.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by DC:

Wewus, check Rockpile, Beth Hart, and for everything that's holy with pure soul to vinyl, you gotta pick up 'Plastic Ono Band' by John Lennon. Primal scream meets pop.

And WTF's wrong with Elton & Billie and selected MJ cuts? ;):eek::D

I don't know, sometimes I just get sick of everything I hear. I go from station to station and think, that sucks, that sucks, tired of that, that sucks. There's a lot of stuff even by artists that I love that at times sounds overly sweet, formulaic to me. For instance, The Allman Brothers song Midnight Rider, heard that the other day, it just sounded like their attempt to be radio friendly, oar something. Even The Beatles are giving me pop overload these days.

Fact is, most people don't care what they listen to, they'll accept whatever crap comes out, like music from American Idol artists. That shit is an anathema to real music.

The other day I was listening to KC and The Sunshine Band just to punish myself, and he's singing "do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight" and I was thinking wouldn't it be weird if he was playing that song in The Middle East somewhere and was beheaded on stage. :D Ya know, right after he sings that line, SCHWING the blade strikes. :D

It seems like when I really get sick of everything out there, it's time for me to get back to writing and playing, which I am. That's one of the main reasons I became a musician, because I thought, I can do better than that, and I can.

I know there's great, great music out there being made and played, it's just not readily accessible.

The problem I have with Billy and Elton is.....that's not rock, most of what they do, it's just pop schlop. I did hear Funeral For A Friend the other day. That may be the best thing Elton ever did. That song has some kick and passion to it.

Have you ever heard the Elton John album "11-17-70" a live trio recording from a radio station broadcast? CDDB track list

That'll cure your Elton crisis.

To other news, try some international music, especially some afro-pop (vintage 70's if you can find some) The production is often an afterthought, and the music just speaks through raw performance.

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Enough of Billy Joel and Elton John, and Michael Jackson
they aren't pop anymore - they are old hacks. :D

chers

john

Is that a subliminal message in your signature line? :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Cher is still a hot mama. I don't care if she's 80 years old. I'd...well, you know.

And I have two "Elton" albums that are among my fave all time albums..."Tumbleweed Connection" and "Madman Across the Water".

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Here's some real shit I've been rocking to,

Arcade Fire "Funeral"

National "Alligator"

The Twilight Singers "She Loves You"

and Coltrane and Miles. Crazy mix.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

The answer is simple: listen to college, public and community radio stations. If you don't have them in your area, listen to internet stations. I don't understand why people continue to complain about mainstream entertainment. It always has been about delivering listeners/viewers to the advertisers. Just turn it off, find something better or make your own.

posted by hard truff:

I don't understand why people continue to complain about mainstream entertainmen
The reason I complain about it is I'm riding around in my car for a good part of the day and that's all I get. Ya know? I don't have Sirius radio, or anything but commercial radio, AND IT SUCKS. Could you hear me screaming that part?

IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude,

Buy an iPod or XM/Sirius radio like the rest of us.

Radio started to suck long ago. It now sucks beyond any human comprehension. Even talk radio is more interesting than most Top 40 formats and the inane banter of these cookie cutter DJ's out there. At least the talk radio guys are talking about a topic something instead of 30 seconds of driven between the same 10 songs.

All that said, Indie 103.1 in LA is a cool station!!!

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

The Greatest Record Store in the World

If you can't find something insanely cool here that you've never heard of before, it's time to go become an accountant.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Originally posted by DC:

Wewus, check Rockpile, Beth Hart, and for everything that's holy with pure soul to vinyl, you gotta pick up 'Plastic Ono Band' by John Lennon. Primal scream meets pop.

And WTF's wrong with Elton & Billie and selected MJ cuts? ;):eek::D

I don't know, sometimes I just get sick of everything I hear. I go from station to station and think, that sucks, that sucks, tired of that, that sucks. There's a lot of stuff even by artists that I love that at times sounds overly sweet, formulaic to me. For instance, The Allman Brothers song Midnight Rider, heard that the other day, it just sounded like their attempt to be radio friendly, oar something. Even The Beatles are giving me pop overload these days.
Ahhh.... Wewus my freind. This problem is as old as time itself. It is called becoming Jaded. :D

The antedote requires finding some new artist or style to explore, or the learn some new musical things that you always wanted to understand. The boredom you are experiencing has more to do with you than the music you complaining about.

The best medicine is to just make some new music of your own. :thu:

Good luck grasshopper.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

The Greatest Record Store in the World

If you can't find something insanely cool here that you've never heard of before, it's time to go become an accountant.

Best record store in the midwest: (I know it's not as good as "in the world')

Everybody\'s

It's the only reason I wish I still lived in Cincinnati :D

I'd had 'enough of Billy Joel and Elton John, and Michael Jackson' back in the 70s... and MJ wasn't even a superstar yet. I could almost stand EJ but the rest? Argh...

PS... I liked the Allman Bros a lot while Duane was still around... but "Midnight Rider" was the first sign that they gone seriously south... no puns intended. I hated it then and I hate it now. (And just to make sure that's still true, I just put it on MusicMatch On Demand. Ugh. Here goes the "next" button...)

PPS... "Melissa" is even worse... yow.

Originally posted by BOOKUMDANO:

I actually think the Jack-fm thing that's going on around the country right now isn't such a bad idea for getting a little more variety into radio. I bet that'll move to more playlist extremes if the concept takes off enough.

On another note, I'm not into country radio much, but I've been watching the stuff that's entering the charts. Things like Hillbillies and the stuff by Cowboy Troy. I think full blown rap is about to meet the pedal steel guitars on the country top 40.

"Jack Radio" is a friggin' Infinity Broadcasting robot for crying out loud. It's a conduit for record company payola-pushed crap. It's a pathetic joke on gullible people -- some of whom are so poisoned by overcredulousness as to think there are actual DJs making actual picks.

I've got a few new things that I've found that I'm digging. One is a compilation of Korean funk bands called "Funky Street". Another is the "Green Imagination" CD from The Sunshine Fix. A third is the recent David Garza release "Oh Dread". I'm also really digging the Fiona Apple un-released "Extraordinary Machine".

Archived