Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oliver Douglas R.I.P.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the memories. Green Acres was always a favorite of mine.

"I said to him 'You're my hero.' I saw him struggling to put together the words, and he looked at me and said: 'You're your hero's hero.' I'll take that to my ... grave."

Man, it just doesn't get any better than that.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Sorry to say I didn't know he was still alive. I didn't have a chance to do the math but I guessed pretty quick he must have been very old.

I really liked him when I was a kid but I had to stop watching Green Acres because it frustrated me that this hotshot lawyer or businessman or whatever he'd been before getting back to nature couldn't see through the same crap every week.

Which I guess is testimony to his skill, that he could make a guy acting like a clueless schlemiel still seem inherently intelligent, which was, I guess, at the fulcral point of the whole enterprise.

Yeah, I thought he died a while ago, but my wife tells me that was Eva Gabor. Apparently Eddie was 99.

Of the three hick-coms that CBS ran during the late 60s and early 70s (Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction being the others), Green Acres never failed to make me laugh out loud with its surrealist humor.

I hear he could also trip quite the light fantastic.

Much, much respect.

He led a pretty full life, according to the paper, including movies, TV, Broadway, fooling around with a movie mogul's wife, serving in the Navy and even a trapeze artist in a Mexican circus!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Yeah, I saw the references to that too Botch:

According to Hollywood gossip, he was caught in a dalliance with the wife of Jack L. Warner and the studio boss removed him from a film and allowed him to languish under contract.

That's ONE way to mess up your career... :eek:

The actor left Hollywood and appeared as a clown and trapeze artist in a one-ring Mexican circus. He escaped his studio contract by joining the Navy in World War II and served in combat in the South Pacific. He received a Bronze Star for his heroic rescue of wounded Marines at Tarawa, his son said.

I never knew that he served on Tarawa...

Wow! 99! God bless him!

Thanks for the laughs, Eddie. You were the ultimate straight man. How often I've identified with your position (surrounded by loonies). :D

RIP, old friend.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I loved his acting but that damn pig ruined the show. It became centered on the pig and the show jumped the shark...big time. Arnold the pig show. Not a very good honor considering Eva was one of the hottest babes (next to Raquel Welch) ever and died pretty young herself, considering. Drucker was a natural.

Good show but that damned pig...enough of that.

I love Animals as much as anyone but if they showed the pig for 10 seconds, each 5th show, it would have been much better.

Their were others there that made it suck too. Haney was good but that kid (was it Abe?) was a doofus dejour and put into "sex symbol role" and it did not work.

They needed a hot young female besides Eva that would keep your attention during all the pigness episodes.

I give it 5 points less (out of 10) than the Beverly hillbillies due to the pigism.

Ran into the ground.

Hope you had fun Eddie!

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

I loved his acting but that damn pig ruined the show...Ran into the ground.

Sorry Bill, but I have to disagree.

The entire cast far me was hysterical...

Alvy Moore - Hank Kimball

Frank Cady - Sam Drucker

Hank Patterson - Fred Ziffel

Pat Buttram - Mr. Haney

Tom Lester - Eb

Plus "The Monroe Brothers"

for my money, one of the funniest shows ever.

So many classic episodes...

"You Can't Plug in a 2 With a 6"

Relying on statistics provided by the Department of Agriculture, Oliver plants wheat. His neighbors, using Mrs. Ziffel's lumbago to predict a crop, plant corn.

"Flight to Nowhere"

As part of an agricultural exchange program, Oliver and other Hooterville farmers are offered a chance to join a chartered government flight to Europe.

"Music to Milk by"

Oliver buys Eb a radio for his birthday. (I think this is the one where the cow swallows the radio)

Anyway, one of my favorite all time series.

While Eddie Albert's career encompased a lot more than just "Green Acres," that show is one of the funniest sitcoms ever. "Surreal" is the word alright, and I love it to this day.

He was also in one of the better episodes of the original "Outer Limits," which while as ham-handed as any of those productions, was one of the better story ideas, and I thought he did a dignified job in it.

He often played the heavy pretty well in many of his films.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I never knew that he served on Tarawa...

Oh, yeah, he piloted a landing craft. The History Channel interviewed him several times about some of the more dangerous beach landings he made. Pretty hair raising stuff.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by steadyb:

Frank Cady - Sam Drucker

Pat Buttram - Mr. Haney

Tom Lester - Eb

I loved Mr. Haney!

"Mr. Douglas, I wonder if I might interest you in a GEN-YOU-WINE, an-TIQUE combination TIRE IRON and POTATO peeler..."

And of course whatever junk Haney was pitching, Lisa would want Oliver to buy it.

Oh, what a great show! The whole setting was the joke, and they never let up. You identify with Oliver living out there in Hooterville surrounded by mental zombies. There's never been anything else like it.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Yeah, Haney was great. Always trying to make a quick buck. I loved his voice too.

I liked Mr Kimball. There was a guy who couldn't talk without confusing himself. He used to crack me up. It was a wonder how he could even get out of bed and get dressed in the morning, let alone actually get hired for a job.

Great show.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Yeah, Haney was great. Always trying to make a quick buck. I loved his voice too.

I liked Mr Kimball. There was a guy who couldn't talk without confusing himself.

Great show.

I thought they were all hilarious, Hank Kimball was my favorite.

Also, I loved how Mr Douglas almost never was able to finish a sentence without being interrupted by one of the locals... or Lisa.

RIP Eddie. His movie work from "Reuters" to "Roman Holiday", through "Longest Yard" and the only good performance in "Dreamscape" proved his worth. His Oliver Douglas character first showed roots in his role(different name, though)in "Teahouse of The August Moon". "Green Acres" will always be his best remembered.

And I, too, just LOVED Mr. Kimball. Well, not LOVED exactly. But he WAS the funniest guy on the show. Well, not the funniest, but PRETTY funny. Not pretty actually, just average looking I guess. Well, maybe not THAT average. But he wasn't what you'd call ugly. Well, maybe YOU might call him ugly, but I wouldn't....

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Loved Eddie Albert.

Loved the show.

Loved Tommy Tedesco's guitar playing on the show. :thu:

I didn't enjoy it much when Eddie played a heavy character. I always wanted to like him too much. :)

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Loved Eddie Albert.

Loved the show.

Loved Tommy Tedesco's guitar playing on the show. :thu:

I didn't enjoy it much when Eddie played a heavy character. I always wanted to like him too much. :)

Ditto, and well put, Mudcat.

I don't know of many kids in the Chicago area, circa the late 1970's - early 1980's who didn't spend sick days at home without watching Green Acres several times in a row on local channels. Nothing quite like trying not to laugh at Eddie Albert, et al because of body aches from the illness. :D

I was a big fan, from the travelling salesman in Oklahoma!, to one of my favorite, childhood movies, Escape To Witch Mountain and many tv guest appearances.

RIP, Eddie.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by steadyb:

Frank Cady - Sam Drucker

Pat Buttram - Mr. Haney

Tom Lester - Eb

I loved that show too. There's a waitress at one of our regular club gigs who looks just like Ralph. It takes all of my willpower to call her by her real name :) .

Archived