Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My best friends son has terminal brain cancer

Ray was my best friend for many many years, as well as the (outstanding) drummer for my old band SunShot in the early to mid-70's.

Ray's 26 year old son Evan has terminal brain cancer, and had a recent stroke and brain herniation.

I feel devastated by the news - like getting kicked in the gut.. My wife & kids & I visited Ray in Florida a couple of years ago, and Evan appeared in outstanding condition.

Evan was a world-class soccer player (he played on various European teams for a few years) before starting college.

He now has a 2-year old son, Owen, who will likely never get to see his dad at an age where he'll remember anything about it... Just so sad!

There will be a "Bingo-Rama" fundraiser for Evan:

Sunday, June 5th, 2:00-7:00pm

Christ United Methodist Church

41st St. and Pine St.

Davenport, IA

The fundraiser will feature bingo, all-you-can-eat Sloppy Joes, a silent auction and bake sale. Proceeds will go to Evan's family.

While Evan had a last wish to attend and play in the world series of poker before he dies, recent dramatic downturns in his condition will prevent that from happening. (So money from the fund raiser efforts is to start a trust fund for Evan's son Owen.)

I would also like to urge you to, if possible, donate via the website.

Here is the web site for more details on his condition:

http://vegasdream.org/index.html

Thanks! Sorry for spamming, but this seemed a worthy topic... And I needed to share my hurt with my SSS family.

Best Regards,

Phil Koenig

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Phil. I have a very close friend whose 8 year old son has been battling Medulablastoma for almost two years now. He tells me the Child Oncology Clinic is always packed and booked solid. Cancer goes after the young and old. With the exceptions of smoking and exposure to harmful stuff, no one is really sure what seperates those that get it from those that don't. We need to support research and hopefully rid ourselves of Cancers. The current statistics say one out of five people in America will die from cancer. That's not acceptable.

For the present, let's do what we can and support those that suffer, like Evan.

Damn Phil,

So sorry to hear.

As a Cancer survivor, you can bet my prayers and best hopes will go out to Evan and his family.

There is hope however, and it sounds as if Evan is a prime candidate for one of the clinical trials. There are now some treatments that affect the blood source of the cancer cells and leave the normal cells alone. I would suggest checking into that.

Midwest: Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

The University of Iowa is also a good bet in that area.

All My Best....

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Very hard and sad to hear this.

May Godspeed in eternal awareness await with open arms.

We can go at any time. I have a memorial on my site to those who I was close to and I actually need to add 3 more names, just from the last month, all of which were fabulous musiciansgood people and great vibes. All under 50 as well.

It is crazy/funny, when (funny being strange) we are either about to lose a friend or just lost them, how all the trueness comes out in droves. treat everyone as if it is your last chance to work with/converse with them..and this World will be a better place.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

:(

My best buddy's 27 year old stepdaughter just passed away from non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Such a sweet girl...with a five year old daughter.

I hope one of these days they find the cure and kick cancer in the balls. And kick, and kick and kick...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by 4-Dak Recorder:

Damn Phil,

So sorry to hear.

As a Cancer survivor, you can bet my prayers and best hopes will go out to Evan and his family.

There is hope however, and it sounds as if Evan is a prime candidate for one of the clinical trials. There are now some treatments that affect the blood source of the cancer cells and leave the normal cells alone. I would suggest checking into that.

Midwest: Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

The University of Iowa is also a good bet in that area.

All My Best....

The diagnosis was Terminal Grade 3 Astrocytoma. It attacks the entire brain and spinal cord, growing from the outside inward. This is really rare, there have only been 2 other reported cases in the world.

So they really don't know how to treat it, there's not a large enough sample size to determine what works. Right now they're doing chemotherapy. No one had ever seen it before; it took the Mayo clinic many months to come up with this diagnosis.

Archived