Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: Which Operating Systems Do You Use?

Just curious...you can up to three if you use multiple platforms, but please restrict your answers to what you actually use in your day-to-day music-related activities. For example, if you keep an Amiga around just to play Marble Madness every now and then, it's probably best not to check Amiga :)

Let's find out what you're using....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted. I have the system drive on the Mac partitioned for Panther and OS9, though I'm finding myself going over to the OS9 side less and less. I mainly keep it there because of Adobe FrameMaker these days, which they never did an OSX version of. :mad: There's nothing like it if you have to author a long, technical document like an instruction manual.

On the laptop (17" Toshiba P4HT, 2.8GHz) I have WinXP Pro with SP1 only. It has been incredibly stable with Cubase, Forte, and lotsa different soft synths.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Anderton:

Of course not! Whoever it is has the tightest MIDI timing of any of the systems!!

Are you talking Atari, here?

Back in the 80's when I was working on my first personal PC [strictly for business work, I think it goes without saying] I kept looking at the Atari and the Amiga and thinking, damn -- those are the future. As I recall (and my memory is, shall we say, a bit impacted by a once-rich-and-vibrant lifestyle), the Atari 1040 ST had a true 32 bit multi-threaded multi-tasking OS when everyone else was just dreaming about it -- or in the case of former partners MS and IBM -- scrapping like cats and dogs about it.

I've still got three Atari's in storage - two 1040's and a Mega ST/e. Good machines back in the day - especially the Mega when it was running Notator. :cry: I sure miss that. :(

Sorry for the thread jacking, but I sure hope Digidesign gets that implemented one of these years.

Win XP SP1 on my audio PC. I also have a laptop and a spare PC converted to a bedroom HTPC both running Windows Media Center Edition 2005. BTW, MCE 2005 is very cool!!! It's XP Pro with the added bells and whistles for movies, dvds, music and pics. I believe you can buy this oem for less than XP Pro provided you buy some sort of hardware along with it. I bought mine from newegg for $132.00 + $19.00 for an MCE certified remote control.

I run a li'l bit of everything (windows) here...

-XP SP2 on the DAW

-XP SP1 on Laptop 1

-Win 2000 on Laptop 2 (Portable DAW)

-Dual boot Win 98SE and Win 95/DOS 6 on an old P133 desktop - I keep all my Roland S-50 samples and patches backed up on this thing. The disk imaging software used to make the Roland disks will only work on DOS 6 or earlier.

0096 2251 2110 8105

2K SP4 with no Explorer for DAW,2K SP4 on a seperate machine for internet and everything else(DVD's etc.)which is a dual boot with WIN ME for PT Free,but I almost never use that so I didn't vote for it.Works surprisingly well though.If they made some sort of adapter so I could use all my plugs in 64 I'd be there already with Win 2003 server 64.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by theblue1:

Originally posted by Anderton:

Of course not! Whoever it is has the tightest MIDI timing of any of the systems!!

Are you talking Atari, here?

Well, no, I was the single vote for Mac 8.6. I recently gave my Atari away (a Mega with Notator as Phil mentioned) because it couldn't record audio, and I play enough "analog" instruments to warrant it. :D I'm still using my G3/8.6 combo with Opcode's Vision (Opcode was purchased and disbanded three weeks after I bought Vision, a Studio 128X audio interface, and a Translator Pro MIDI interface; would you like some guaranteed stock tips from me? :rolleyes::mad: ). I keep looking at the G5, Yamaha 01X and Logic, but since Craig won't take up a collection for me I'll still be looking. :P

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

My main studio box is OSX.3.8 running Logic Pro 7.1. With Waveburner now working pretty much, I haven't need to boot to OS 9. Got a copy of Tiger sitting on the shelf - as soon as UAD-1 drivers are ready, I'll make the jump.

I keep a Windows ME box in the studio as well, just for running an OasysPCI.

And my laptop, running Logic Platinum 5.5.1, is WinXP SP1.

I do it the crazy way :rolleyes: ..

I actually record into a 4-track, then mix down to one or more different programs in FreeBSD.

Yeah, i'm lame, i know. :cry:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

LOL sounds like we need to have a "Rube Goldberg recording" contest. Whoever can come up with the most arcane way to record and the most twisted signal path wins. :D

You mean like in the old days when I used my voice into an MXR delay because I didn't have a synth for effects? Or in the early 70's when I turned a Breakstones Cheesbox into my homemade mixing board? Don't get me started. :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Oh, by the way, I use Win 2K Pro on a couple of boxes and I'm working with Linux, as I can, on one of them. My laptop is running XP sp2 but I didn't mark that because I haven't used it for more than cursory music stuff so far. It's the business box but I went Athlon figuring I'd use it for music somewhere along the line.

Now that Samson has those USB LD condensers available it's an easier push to get that laptop into music on a larger scale.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Alndln:

]You mean like in the old days when I used my voice into an MXR delay because I didn't have a synth for effects? Or in the early 70's when I turned a Breakstones Cheesbox into my homemade mixing board? Don't get me started. :D

LOL... one of the best ones I've heard here is Phil syncing his whole rig to an old ADAT machine so he can use the varispeed. :D

Win2k pro and SAWStudio Basic are rock-solid on my main system, so no OS change for me until I want a new DAW.

And for MIDI, I'm still sequencing on a P1 166mmx running win95, 'cuz Voyetra/Turtle Beach Pinnacle Project Studio doesn't work well outside win95. And I'm comfortable and happy with PPS.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived