Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried this yet? $80 Samson LDC USB mic...

Brand new and selling around for $80 (with a $239 list, no less, LOL!), this Samson big di condenser has a USB output, which might make it pretty ideal for field capture using a laptop.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/C01usb.jpg

A bigger question on my mind is how well it could be integrated with my laptop's built in 16 bit card for, say, overdubbing in 'the field' (most likely a pal's front room). (I've always used the same interface for input and output, so I'm a bit hazy on these issues.)

There are no specs or other hard info on any of the product sheet pages I've seen at Sweetwater or elsewhere...

Update: Talked to Sweetwater and after the nice man assured me there's "no latency" with this USB mic (heh), I found out that it's 16/44.1 -- and the rep said there should be no problem using it as an input and the built-in soundcard as an output.

(Cracks me up I've never tried using one device as an input and another as an out. If anyone has contradictory info or has had problems doing that, lemme know!)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C01usb/#anchor

Anhow, if anyone has any insight into this puppy, a heads up would be deeply appreciated. [background: I have a MOTU 828mkII that can be used for serious location work where there's power. But, you know, what a pain. The appeal of a mic I could throw in a sock and then into the backpack along with a headset is mightily appealing. OTOH, after a quarter century of frenetic live-fast-die-tomorrow lifestyle, having somehow survived, I now never go anywhere or do anything. But, look, I can work that part out. Tell me what ya thing about the mic, OK? :D Oh, and, while it goes without saying, I'm pretty sure this mic is not a U47 soundalike and not counting on same.]

[You know, this is how I end up with all this low-ball gear... geez. :D ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm intrigued by this product. Even if it only sounds 'OK' I think that I'll have to pick one up. There is an instant gratification thing happenin' with this that I think would be really cool to have around.

Here's an interesting question: if you get 2 of them and you have 2 usb i/o on your computer, will they record in stereo into digital performer?

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

They would if you're using a Mac with OS 10.4 "Tiger". Tiger's Core Audio allows for device aggregation, here's a explanation from Apple:

Mac OS X Tiger now allows you to use multiple audio devices together to increase the number of input and output channels. You can combine devices of like sampling rate together, whether via FireWire, PCI or built-in, into a single aggregated device. Set up is easy via Audio MIDI Setup and your new virtual device will automatically show up in all applications on the system.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreaudio/

Yeah... it's awfully appealing for us laptoppers. Even given the undoubted givens.

I know the two for stereo wouldn't work under windows, since, as far as I know there are no Win audio wares that will deal with devices with two different clocks.

And that makes me ask Ed, since he's handy -- Do you know how Tiger deals with those different clock rates? I mean, if we're really talking about mixing and matching audio interfaces from different manufacturers, that's a pretty big bite to chew...

Sure... basically the USB equivalent of those Sony and other relatively cheap stereo mics.

That would also be handy.

And a little table top tripod mic stand like they have for digital cameras.

According to Apple, Hardware Abstraction Layer in Tiger's Core Audio provides the capability to know the state of any particular sample (that is, sample accurate timing) of the device.

So, it looks like the clock rates of different devices are being synchronized at the lowest system level by Core Audio.

That does, indeed, sound pretty hip.

Not necessarily because I have any immediate need to yoke multiple devices (and, anyhow, I'm not a Mac guy) -- but it seems clear that the integration that could make that possible ought to open a whole new range of possibilities.

But it also seems like it must come at some CPU overhead cost, too.

The mic is according to Samson Audio, based on the C01 mic.

C01U - USB Condenser Microphone

The C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic is the first affordable studio condenser mic with a direct USB output.

For the first time ever, musicians who record music on computers have a simple, affordable way to capture high-quality vocal and acoustic instrument performances. Seamless integration was the idea, and it was obtained by creating a studio condenser microphone that can be plugged into any computer with no in/out boxes, no expensive computer pre-amps, just a USB cable.

The C01U condenser microphone is based on our wildly successful C01. It features a 19mm internal shock mounted diaphragm with a cardioid pick up pattern ensuring pristine studio quality recordings.

The C01U works perfectly on any computer, Mac or PC, and with any DAW software program. It immediately solves a huge problem for users of many laptops, many of which have no other input method for audio devices. Priced at just $79 MAP* it is also well within the price range of DAW hobbyists and beginners.

Industrys first affordable USB Studio Condenser mic

Plugs in directly to any computer with a USB input

Cardioid Pickup Pattern

Large 19mm Diaphragm

Heavy Gauge Mesh Grill

Smooth, Flat Frequency Response

USB connection cable included

From the C01 listing.

Cardioid Pickup Pattern

Large 19mm Diaphragm

Heavy Gauge Mesh Grill

Gold Plated XLR Connector

LED Indicates 48V Phantom Power

Smooth, Flat Frequency Response

Swivel Stand Mount

Optional SP01 Shock Mount

I would think the swivel stand mount may not be included, not the phantom power led, but who knows...Maybe the boys at Sweetwater can look in the box.

Jeez, looking at the high res photo the cord looks like it may be a standard usb connector on the mic, not just the computer end.

Oh, Offramp beat you to the punch. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

For that money, it's hard to imagine they could include the hardware for an analog output, too. The LED might be there just 'cause it was cheaper to leave it in. Anyhow, don't necessarily think I'm getting one -- I had a long talk with myself about field recording toys like my various small recorders, my MD recorder, etc, and how they by and large stay in the drawer.

Still, it's kinda tempting. You show up for a jam and pull your laptop and those chunky mic out of your backpak... of course, I'm such a misanthrope I now hate jamming, too. :D

PS... He sure did beat me to it. I almost kind of remember seeing that, I think. It's funny what grabs your attention and when...

I could've used either one two nights ago.

Denise bought Lilly an old kids' xylophone at an estate sale, this past weekend. Lilly informed me she wants to record a CD of her own music on the xylophone. :thu:

We're changing the office around and my typical setup {mic (RE20) -> mixer (Mackie 1402VLZ) -> 1/8" input on my crappy sound card -> Tracktion software} was completely apart. I ended up lugging the computer, mixer, cables, etc. from various places out to the front room to record her. It would be nice to ditch the mixer for silly recordings like that. I figure the less I need setup, the more likely I'll capture a performance while she's excited to play or sing. Most kids don't sit still for setup time. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I trust a lot in sweetwater but had have some problems with their sales rep, technology wise.

It MUST have latency somehow, since latency ins inherent to a recording device through a bus such like FIreWire or USB. This no news for anyone in here, but maybe for some somewhere else...

... about TIGER syncing multiple devices... lemme get some popcorn and watch the show...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Thanks, Vicente, for the MXL option. At only $100 around cybertown, it's clearly another option. And, hype, self-delusion, or fantasy, the word of mouth on some of those super-cheap MXL mics is at least intriguing. Freq charts never tell the whole story, but it looks pretty decent for a $100 mic... very similar curve, actually, to a lot of popular mics.

Neil -- yeah, for years I kept things more or less set up and ready to go in my studio but I kept thinking, maybe I should get a little throwaway multi-tracker for sketchbooking. Then I put a tiny 5" b&w TV in my studio/office and I hardly ever left... so I had no excuse. Still, even after I had my MOTU and my laptop, I went to CompUSA and bought a little $17 computer mic [better than the built in mic in my laptop but not as good as that on many a boombox I've had over the decades]... this, for me, is more of that no-hassle recording grail. Now, if I only had all those ideas I had when I was a dumbass kid...

Gus, yeah, I figured I could just quote him and get a laugh, at least on this board. I actually tried to correct him but it became instantly clear he knew nothing... it was like Guitar Center on Saturday afternoon sans the cacophony of 15 15 year olds all doing different Rage riffs at once. Still, the guy was a nice guy who took his time to try to find out about it, even if he was a bit on the clueless side. If I end up buying the mic, I'll definitely buy it from him.

On the Tiger multiple device yoking... do you know something I don't -- or are you simply as cynical as I am and expecting a rough stretch of road for those trying to implement it?

Originally posted by theblue1:

On the Tiger multiple device yoking... do you know something I don't -- or are you simply as cynical as I am and expecting a rough stretch of road for those trying to implement it?

... if I wasn't a part of the testing/beta testing teams at my company, I would not be cynical... but I am...

I mean, I wish that will really work as expected... just like the same way you could chain 127 USB devices together, according to its original spec, but....

... Want some pop corn?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I have an MXL 1006BP that I've used for some "light" recording through a small Behringer mixer, input into my computer through the standard sound card. Results have been surprisingly good, although I don't have a $30,000.00 Neumann to compare it to...

I also use it as the announcement mic for my weekly internet radio show. Even on an 80kbs (with mp3pro) stream, people have noticed the improvement over the SM58 I used to use.

I did have a question about the Sampson unit though. Are USB- enabled pop screens available yet?

Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

• 3 weeks later...

Brand new to this board...just found this thread..

I've seen the box, I think it comes with a little plastic mount for regular mic stand. I've also seen Samson selling a shock mount for like 29 bucks. The mic has a standard USB B (i think it's called B) on the bottom and obtains phantom power from your computer. You can use the cable from your printer or any other USB A-B cable. I haven't heard it myself but I've heard really great things about it, I'm gonna pick one up asap.

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

I trust a lot in sweetwater but had have some problems with their sales rep, technology wise.

It MUST have latency somehow, since latency ins inherent to a recording device through a bus such like FIreWire or USB. This no news for anyone in here, but maybe for some somewhere else...

... about TIGER syncing multiple devices... lemme get some popcorn and watch the show...

Gus, you know I love ya man, but that Radium E I bought a YEAR ago still will not work with OSX, and the last time I looked at m-audios site, the driver was the same old thing. You MAY want to cut sweetwater some slack. Apparently, I am not the only one with this issue, because you pretty much have to give this model away on eBay. It has since been replaced with a Novation Remote 25.

I have not had one bad experience with sweetwater. From my experience, they always know enough to say " I don't know' and get back to you.

Archived