Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Watch your spelling-Warning from F-Secure

As far as I know F-Secure is a reputable company. They issued THIS WARNING about two weeks ago.

If you're on The Internet with a Windows computer you need the following software tools:

AVG virus software

Spybot

Adaware

and Trend Micro Housecall

Do it, might keep your computer from getting hosed.

Of course you can always keep a ghost copy of your hard drive and then if you get hosed you just pop that in and keep going, but how many people do that?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TheWewus:

Of course you can always keep a ghost copy of your hard drive and then if you get hosed you just pop that in and keep going, but how many people do that?

Me.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Or you could just add the line:

127.0.0.1      Googkle.com

to your "hosts" file... :rolleyes:

Okay, let me explain this.

A hosts file is the first form of name resolution in TCP/IP. Your system always checks for an entry in your hosts file first before it sends a request to a DNS server to resolve an address. If it finds the name in the hosts file it selects that address and quits trying to resolve it further.

The IP address '127.0.0.1' is a reserved address which always means "me", or "this machine'.

So when you put the above entry into you hosts file, the address resolves to your network adapter instead of a machine out on the internet.

It's quicker and safer than downloading a bunch of software off the web ...

No signature required.

Ok, one more tip guys...

%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

For Win XP & Win2K users, make a new shorcut on your desktop and call it "Edit Hosts File" and paste the above line into the command prompt for the shortcut. Then you just click that shortcut when you want to quickly edit the file...

No signature required.

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

Or you could just add the line:

127.0.0.1      Googkle.com

to your "hosts" file... :rolleyes:

Okay, let me explain this.

A hosts file is the first form of name resolution in TCP/IP. Your system always checks for an entry in your hosts file first before it sends a request to a DNS server to resolve an address. If it finds the name in the hosts file it selects that address and quits trying to resolve it further.

The IP address '127.0.0.1' is a reserved address which always means "me", or "this machine'.

So when you put the above entry into you hosts file, the address resolves to your network adapter instead of a machine out on the internet.

It's quicker and safer than downloading a bunch of software off the web ...

That's a great idea Jon, but you still need those programs to protect yourself against all the other threats on The Web. Another probably better option that's been suggested here is to use a router with a built in firewall. Right?

Now that I'm using IE again, the Google toolbar is back where it should be (never liked the Google/search implementation in FF) so there's even less need for me to type it -- but there are plenty of other chances to be taken advantage of by unscrupulous web entities (from bad guy sites to sleazy advertisers). And since I'm a fast, careless typist who's long overdue for a new eyeglass prescription...

Originally posted by ViLo:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Me too. :)

How Do I do that?

Thanks

Go out and buy a copy of Norton Ghost (or other similar backup program), do a backup, and if / when your computer dies, you can restore it to the exact state it was in pre-crash, when you did the last backup.

Save your data to a secondary hard drive and make sure you do proper backups with that. IOW, I recommend only using the C drive for programs and use a secondary drive for data storage.

Ghost (and other programs) make a bootable CD I actually need several CD's to back up my C drive) that will reload everything in the case of a catastrophic HDD failure, virus infection or whatever. I highly recommend it, but others prefer other programs... feel free to ask opinions and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions. :)

Here's a warning about AVG Free Antivirus and Roxio versions 6 & 7 ...

The AVG email scanner fails to autostart on bootup! You have to manually wake it up. I got a windows error message pointing me to a web link for Roxio that I can't find. It directed me to a Roxio URL where I downloaded a file -- "updatecdr4_53_71.exe". Now, I can't find the link or the file on Roxio.com. Anyway, it didn't fix the issue.

I have two PCs with Roxio and one with Nero. The Roxio PCs both can't start the email scanner automatically.

Just a heads-up...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I found the URL about Roxio & AVG-Free... http://free.grisoft.com/doc/I+need+help

You can't find it on their web site. But, it is under the *Information* menu of the *Control Center* -- "I Need Help".

Anyone else have this isuue? I'm sending a message to Tech Support. If anyone else is interested, I'll post the response...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Archived