Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

django reinhardt

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Django was one of those rare players who could play the most complex music effortlessly. To me, he was the Art Tatum of guitar, a soaring talent that trancended the physical limitations of the instrument and raised the music to a level of pure emotion.

Amazingly, Reinhart fretted all of those searing solo lines with only two fingers (index and middle). He used the stubs of fingers 3 and 4 only for chording.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Django was one of those rare players who could play the most complex music effortlessly. To me, he was the Art Tatum of guitar, a soaring talent that trancended the physical limitations of the instrument and raised the music to a level of pure emotion.

Amazingly, Reinhart fretted all of those searing solo lines with only two fingers (index and middle). He used the stubs of fingers 3 and 4 only for chording.

Dan, That's what kills me about him. Listening to those old recordings....I can't believe he can do that. Even if he had all his fingers, I can't believe anyone can do that.

I left my computer & went outside to hear some live music. Great thing about Hoboken is you can still do this.

stumbeld into what is usallay a Blues Bar , but the cats were playin D'Jango tunes!! I was pleasantly surprised.

this is the guys website though it dosen't mention anything about his forray into Jango.

http://www.davegrossband.com/

P .S. sorry about spelling i am wasted

!!! had a good time @ http://www.scotlandyardbar.com/

ntp

All the really legendary guitar players that I have worked with over the years, i.e. Les Paul, Eric Gayle, George Benson, Toots Thielmans, etc, etc say that Django Reinhardt was "The Dude"!

If you like Django Reinhardt , check out Stéphane Grappelli. Grappelli, of course was a extraordinary jazz violin virtuoso, but he was a fine jazz pianist as well.

I did an album in Chicago in 1961, (when I was 24 years old) with Earl 'Fatha' Hines and I distinctly remember deep studio discussions about Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli. Both artists were much admired then by 'real' musicians, and still are to this day!

Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

All the really legendary guitar players that I have worked with over the years, i.e. Les Paul, Eric Gayle, George Benson, Toots Thielmans, etc, etc say that Django Reinhardt was "The Dude"!

If you like Django Reinhardt , check out Stéphane Grappelli. Grappelli, of course was a extraordinary jazz violin virtuoso, but he was a fine jazz pianist as well.

I did an album in Chicago in 1961, (when I was 24 years old) with Earl 'Fatha' Hines and I distinctly remember deep studio discussions about Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli. Both artists were much admired then by 'real' musicians, and still are to this day!

Bruce Swedien

Bruce, I have about 20 tracks w/ Django and Stephane together. It's absolutley phenomenal!

ryst sez--------> Bruce, I have about 20 tracks w/ Django and Stephane together. It's absolutley phenomenal!

Brucie sez--------->They should be "required" listening for everyone interested in recorded music!

Brucie the Viking!!!!!

If you're into Gypsy Jazz, definately check out Bireli Lagrene. I have a DVD of one of his concerts, and my favourite parts are the special features where you see four guitarists backstage just jamming, laughing and smoking.

And the movie 'Sweet and Lowdown', about the fictional gypsy jazz guitarist Emmet Ray. He fainted when he saw Django play. :D Sean Penn's best performance ever IMO.

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Originally posted by Zweite Version:

If you're into Gypsy Jazz, definately check out Bireli Lagrene. I have a DVD of one of his concerts, and my favourite parts are the special features where you see four guitarists backstage just jamming, laughing and smoking.

And the movie 'Sweet and Lowdown', about the fictional gypsy jazz guitarist Emmet Ray. He fainted when he saw Django play. :D Sean Penn's best performance ever IMO.

Yes, Sweet and Lowdown was a great flick. I will check out Bireli Lagrene too! Thanks! :wave:

PRI just did a great feature on Bireli focusing on his new recording in tribute to Django. Just the little bits they played were some of the best bits of Bireli I've ever heard. And I'm a huge Bireli fan. He sounds best when he's playing in Django mode as far as I'm concerned. You should definitely check him out. He may be too many notes for you, but AFAIK he's the premeire Djangoist on the planet.

NPR has archives of their shows. Unfortuntely it wasn't on NPR because I don't think PRI does.

So I think the CDs are Move and Gypsey Project. Move was the recent release they were promoting. Awesome player.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Is anybody better than Django?

Well...yeah!

Depending, of course, what you mean by better.

There are FASTER, there are MORE HIGHLY TRAINED, there are more ETHREREAL...sure.

There's Julian Bream...John McLaughlin...Jan Ackerman...Al DiMeola...and you know what?

They ALL hold Django in reverent regard. Most, if not all other, guitarists faced with the obstacle Django had to would have given up. His determination to find a way past his "disability" showed an unequalled determination and a mountanous love of music. And that came through in his playing. And THAT, more than fast execution, fancy chords or anything else, is what makes him one of the, if not THE, greatest musicians of his time.

Or anyone ELSE'S, for that matter.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

well bireli lagrene is damn scary. poor guy. he was a monster at 13 and that was how many years ago? meanwhile fred durst has a gazillion dolars.....

there's a kid here in jersey (spam alert: i produced his 1st record)that is amazing and he now does a 3 acoustic guitar & violin thing like django/stephane. he's only 19 and jeez....

http://www.davegrossband.com

-d. gauss

Archived