Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mac experts please help

I was lucky enough to pick up a used Power Book G3 (firewire). It is 500MHz with 512Mb RAM and a 40Gb HD. It is not the main part of my system but I do want to edit audio and integrate it with the rest of my system using MIDI Time Code.

What would be the best OS to use (is Tiger too much for it) and what would be a good program for editing stereo audio? I have been using Adobe Audition on a PC for this.

When i was running Pro Tools Power Mix on an 8500, the G3 sure looked good to me. There must be something out there (older software) that would work really well on this box.

Can I get a USB to serial port adapter to connect to the Yamaha To Host port?

Thanks in advance

-cr

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 500 MHZ iBook with 128 RAM and 10.2.8. It runs pretty well and only chokes up occasionally. See if you can find MOTU's AudioDesk software(Maybe Ebay since they don't make it anymore). I'm just starting up using it and it seems to be powerful and easily learnable. I have a MOTU 2408 MKII Interface.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

chedrob, good news.

I have the same Powerbook, only in the 400 MHz variety, and I run OSX.3.7 on it, with Digital Performer 4.12. I use a MOTU 896 and an external HD--oddly enough the books' original 10G HD put into and external case--and it works very respectably. It's a little slow on the uptake when I go to record in DP; for example, when I track my drums, I take the book downstairs and set it up next to the kit, and when I hit 'record' there's a few seconds' delay but nothing to get hung about. In fact, that delay is rather helpful for me to focus on what I'm about to play, and getting ready for it.

I would max out yer RAM. I've got 1G in mine--2 512 chips--and it purrs. There will be a little bit of a 'burn-in' time with the two 512's; it'll run a tad hot for a while, then settle in. My fan has come on, I think, twice, since I've owned it, new in April of 2001.

I have very few softwares on mine, and I find that it's a lot happier that way. I use DP, iTunes, iPhoto, Peak; I'm toying with putting Photoshop on there, but the need hasn't escalated to that point, yet.

Good score! I think you'll be pleased.

If you'd like a copy of AudioDesk, I will send you a burn of mine.

(side note: the first generations of the white iBook--like the one Soundcrafter uses--are the same motherboard as our machines.)

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I was thinking of OS9 for speed but, from what I understand, OSX is much better for I/O (audio and MIDI) management. What do you think about that? I also like iPhoto and iTunes but that is not what I got the computer for.

offramp - I'll PM you about AudioDesk.

10.3 Panther will not choke your system. I haven't tested out Tiger yet.

As a matter of fact, it will run better.

Don't use some tired old crap.

Even less powerful machines than the one you have will run Panther just fine.

I would say stick with os9.2.2

Get an external 7200 RPM firewire hard drive with the Oxford 911 chipset for all audio recording. I happen to buy mine from otherworldcomputing.com - check out the Mercury Elite line.

Using the built in drive will seriously limit your abilities.

Previous advice to max out your RAM is good.

Personally for stereo audio I would put ProTools and an MBox on the thing. I've used a G3 latpop configured exactly as described and it worked very well. The MTC part I leave for you to figure out ;) Quick advice: go with a small USB MIDI interface. MOTU makes good stuff there.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

OY! The Fastlane runs about $70. Works great.

OSX Panther is a RAM hog. You can run it on a B&W G3 350, for example, but you gotta have good, full RAM. dean, I also may suggest that you do a backup and re-install, this time leaving out all the extraneous shit you'll never use...most notably, all the other languages. You can select this at the time of OS install. makes for a lean, mean install.

uh...hmmm...I'd see how it works with Panther.9 first; to my knowledge, Tiger is written to take advantage of the newer 64-bit architecture potential of the G5 PCI buss (someone feel free to correct me if otherwise), and in my book the backwards-compatibilty of something like that is always a recipie for slowdown or hiccups.

And what Philter said...I assumed you were running an external drive for audio; if you're not...tsktsktsk. :)

Archived