Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"You Failed The Survey" - my comic, 1 - 3

I don't have a site up for it yet, and well I just started. I am most glad I got the art done well enough, because I am extremely picky about it. What I did was do a rough sketch, and traced over it in Photoshop.

This first comic isn't gut-splitting funny, but it's based on a cheeky little convo I had with a friend. I have better ideas and interesting characters coming in the newer comics.

Obviously this guy is based on me.

http://www.phait-accompli.com/yfs/1.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawaii? :D

Edit: Though seriously, I like it. Being based on you I see a very dry wit/humour. Keep it up!

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

You look good as a cartoon Phait (although you do also look like a Bond villain, actually your name sounds kindas like one too :D ), but I do prefer the second strip....
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Yes, in fact if you read the About page:

Hey, this comic looks like Red Meat!

Yeah, I know. The truth is, Red Meat was my initial inspiration to really get this off the ground. Also, the comic's art style needs to look a certain way to best frame the humor. If the characters looked too real, it might not work. If they looked sloppy or lazy, it might not work. I really do want to change up the art though, because as much as I love RM, I don't want the inspiration to be too obvious. The first couple strips I released I wanted to get done ASAP. I'm still trying to figure out what I could do to make this more my own. I only mean well!

:wave:

I did e-mail the creator of RM thanking for the inspiration. Maybe he'll say something... I dunno.

You see, the problem is how it's done.

For the Navarro strip, I traced a photo of Navarro. I could've done it much more detailed, but then it wouldn't really fit with the style of the first comic.

Here's the steps I took for the first comic:

http://www.phait-accompli.com/crap/yfs/

I'm just not sure how I can go about making it that much different while keeping it simple enough. I COULD hand-draw the characters, but I am looking for a clean look, and I suck at drawing anyway. Maybe I could shade it with flat greys or some kinda hatching...

Archived