Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT The Village

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians

21 Europeans

14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south

8 Africans

52 would be female

48 would be male

70 would be nonwhite

30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian

30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 70% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace .. you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you, and furthermore, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

(forwarded e-mail/unknown source)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An excellent reality check, Mr. Ross!

But, I want to know, how many Asian/Latino transgendered PhDs there would be living in substandard housing. :D I'm kidding, folks...

All joking aside, it is an excellent reality check...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

I thought the point of church was harrassment, arrest, torture or death....

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I remember reading somewhere that as of 2000, 40% of the world's populace had never made a phone call.

Not sure how accurate this is.

Why not take a phone poll? :D

Yep. Seen this years ago. I wonder if the stats are still accurate?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Botch.:

Not to be a smartaleck...

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

Did Botch just say something about him not being a smartaleck? :eek:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Prague is right, homosexuals have never made up more than 1 to 3 percent of any population in any culture. That includes cultures that are tolerant/accepting of homosexuality.

The article posted by lrossmusic (and a few variations) has been circulating around for years now and a lot of the other stats are off as well. World illiteracy is less than 20%, not 70%! The World Health organization says about a third of the world's population suffers to some degree from malnutrition... not 50%. Still too high a figure though. :(

A lot more than 1 person would have a computer, and a college education.

Nothing wrong with reminding ourselves, though, that we are indeed a very privileged minority in the world.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Prague is right, homosexuals have never made up more than 1 to 3 percent of any population in any culture. That includes cultures that are tolerant/accepting of homosexuality.

Not that I dispute this (I have no sources to reference), but why do I sometimes hear that 10% to as high as 15% is a possible figure?

A lot more than 1 person would have a computer, and a college education.
Let's see... rounding Earth's population to 6.4 billion people, if 1 in 100 had a computer, that would mean there are 64 million computers in use around the world, as well as 64 million people with college degrees. I wonder what the real numbers are?

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Not that I dispute this (I have no sources to reference), but why do I sometimes hear that 10% to as high as 15% is a possible figure?

This is a figure that gets tossed around mainly in the American gay community and has no real numbers to back it up. It's possible the figure is that high if you include bisexuals and/or straight people who've "experimented"... but every serious anthropological study of every culture around the world has come up with the 1 to 3% figure.

homosexuals have never made up more than 1 to 3 percent of any population in any culture.

Obviously, you've never been to Miami.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

This is a figure that gets tossed around mainly in the American gay community and has no real numbers to back it up.
That 10% number goes back to Kinsey at Indiana, ca 1948-1953.

Ah... Kinsey's number makes more sense in context...

Males:

- 10% of males in the sample were predominantly homosexual between the ages of 16 and 55

- 8% of males were exlusively homosexual for at least three years between the ages of 16 and 55. (p. 651, Male)

- 4% of white males had been exclusively homosexual after the onset of adolescence up to the time of their interviews, (p. 651, Male).

Females:

- 2 to 6% of females, aged 20-35, were more or less exclusively homosexual in experience/response, (p. 488, Female)

- 1 to 3% of unmarried females aged 20-35 were exclusively homosexual in experience/response, (Table 142, p. 499, and p. 474, Female).

- Jeff

World illiteracy is less than 20%, not 70%!

I was questioning that figure myself, illiteracy is virtually nonexistent in China, and that's 1.2 billion folks right there.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Trombone players - .000000000000000000000000001 %

Trombone players with a gig tonight -

.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000015%

....and I should know because that's my primary instrument.

:)

...every serious anthropological study of every culture around the world has come up with the 1 to 3% figure.
I've maintained this point as well on other internet forums, and been met with foaming-at-the-mouth mobs toting torches & pitchforks.

I've assumed that gay advocates who still use the inflated # knew, thanks to their vaunted "gay-dar," that 10% was high, but continued to use it for the "shock value," as well as a way to buoy the spirits of those among them who felt alone.

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Interesting statistics, Lincoln! Thanks for your thoughtful post!

But what's even more fascinating to me is that this started out as a thread about global demographics and quickly morphed into a thread about homosexuality. What does THAT say about human beings?

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

But what's even more fascinating to me is that this started out as a thread about global demographics and quickly morphed into a thread about homosexuality. What does THAT say about human beings?

I blame Prague. For everything. :D

- Jeff

Archived