Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mayan Calendar ends in 2012

So I'm listening to this show on XM about how the Mayan calendar ends on 2012. From this, the conclusion is drawn that the world ends in 2012.

Now, here's my theory.

A Mayan guy is working on the calendar. It's Friday afternoon. He talks to his boss. "Yo, Mayan Boss Dude, I've got the calendar up to 2012. Is that good enough?"

Mayan Boss Dude: "Yeah, that's good enough. Have a great weekend! Next Monday, we'll work on the pyramid thing again."

I think my theory is far more plausible.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

the Mayan calendar ends on 2012. From this, the conclusion is drawn that the world ends in 2012.

I guess that means I'll need only one more PC upgrade.Jeez,I was wondering when there would be an end to upgrades,although I guess I'll never know what Sonar 12 will be like.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

We just replaced our archaic, old, phone system at work.

The old system wouldn't go past 1998, IIRC. I had to reset it to an early, 1990's year that matched up to the current year so the day of the week would match the date. Talk about planned obsolescence!

BTW - this phone system used a 66MHz PC as a software host! (Remember when computer's proudly displayed the processor clock speed in LED numerals on the front of the box?) :freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

In a book about the Maya world scheme, I just ran across this tidbit last night-the Mayan calendar starts in the year 3116 BC. Where did they get the starting point? According to this book, they just chose it. It doesn't correspond to anything.

Originally posted by Anderton:

A Mayan guy is working on the calendar. It's Friday afternoon. He talks to his boss. "Yo, Mayan Boss Dude, I've got the calendar up to 2012. Is that good enough?"

Mayan Boss Dude: "Yeah, that's good enough. Have a great weekend! Next Monday, we'll work on the pyramid thing again."

I think my theory is far more plausible.

Oh definitely. This is the "Y2K bug" of the ancient Mayan world. They did pretty well to think that far ahead, really - better than computer programmers in the 1970's :D .

Note, however, that the Y2K bug didn't mean the end of the world even though a lot of people seemed hell bent on thinking it would.

So based on Craig's theory, it's entirely possible that The End of the World might not even occur until, say, 2049!

Whewwwwww.

I'll start unpacking... :D

I think it's more like a Union think with finishing at 2012!!! Listen man if you need more then 2012 down on paper then you put a work order in and let the "writing dept" look after that or I'm calling my union stewart!
Smile if you're not wearin panties.

I think it's funny that we all speak about the end of human life on Earth as "the end of the world". Unless a HUGE chunk of rock knocks the earth out of orbit and into the sun, it's likely that the earth will still be here when we're gone.
I really don't know what to put here.

I believe Nostradamus may have predicted the same year. Others may have, too. It may be something. It may be nothing. It all will end, before or after the Great Attractor swallows us whole. Or sooner, if Jessica Simpson wins the Nobel Peace Prize.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Hmmmmm....?

So if the Mayan's are the ancestors of some alien civilization... :eek:

But yeah...I too would like to know what they base their dates on...what is THEIR starting point relative to everyone else's.

3116 + 2012 = 5128 years...????

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Note, however, that the Y2K bug didn't mean the end of the world even though a lot of people seemed hell bent on thinking it would.

Yeah, what was up with that?

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

The winter solstice of 2012 is not the end of the world but the end of an age.

The Mayans had a very sophisticated astronomy, and what they were able to do with it is pretty amazing. The start date of 3118 BC and the end date of 2112 AD were certainly not random. The Mayan Long Count is a 5.125 year span that is based on the cycles of Venus and the alignment of the winter solstice point with a specific point in the galactic equator.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Ok, I'm asking my girl to marry me... on December 2013 :D ...

Then you should probably hold back all deposits to the Hall, the band, the caterer, the photographer, and the flower people until at least Dec 22 2012. ;)

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

The Mayan world ended with the arrival of Cortez.

Maybe you should listen to Sirius. Sirius will be around long after 2012. It's been there for billions of years already.

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived