Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Stumbled Upon A Ben Folds Concert Today!

My wife and I decided to see a movie at Laemmle Sunset 5 Theatre in Hollywood today. Parking was crazy though and I finally snagged the last space on the deepest level of the subterranean parking garage.

Laemmle Sunset 5 Theatre shares a courtyard with Sam Ash and Virgin Megastore, as well as a few other businesses, so I just figured it was a busy day. Little did I know what would await me when I stepped out of the elevator...

Before I parked, I dropped my wife off near another elevator so she could stop in the ladies room just outside of the theater and meet me at the box office. However, when she arrived at the ladies room, she was stopped by a security guard.

"Just a minute ma'am."

"But I need to go to the bathroom!"

"I'm sorry. You can't go in now."

"Why not?"

Just then, an entourage of people came out of the ladies room and walked past my wife. The security guard left with them.

When my wife emerged from the rest room, a band had started playing in the courtyard. Wait, that's Ben Folds!

I emerged from the other elevator at about the same time and we waved at each other from across the second level above the courtyard. We didn't take long to decide to scrap our movie plans and find a good spot to watch Ben Folds and company perform. They proceeded to play most, if not all, of their new album "Songs For Silverman." The only old song on the bill was "Zak And Sara."

It was a lot of fun watching the band as well as the audience - a few of whom I saw playing "air piano." Ben Folds played for about 45 minutes and then walked over to Virgin Megastore to sign CDs. My wife and I bought the new CD and considered getting it signed until we saw the line around the block.

Nonetheless, it was a great surprise to catch Folds debut his new music! Sometimes, I love living in LA! :)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool! He's a very strong live performer. Too bad I scheduled a business trip to NYC next week instead of the week after because he's playing Town Hall on 5/10.

I'm a big Ben Folds fan. Now my 14 yr old daughter likes him, too. I've been meaning to pick up his new release, so maybe today.

Craig, LOL! While I've seen plenty of car chases on TV, I can't recall seeing many in person.

Phil, I remember your "Rockin' The Suburbs" sig line. I thought you might be interested.

Mark, when I visited NYC you were stuck in Rochester. Now when Ben Folds visits Rochester, you'll be stuck in New York. Sometimes life just refuses to cooperate!

Best,

Geoff

Ben Folds is great...

I went to a show down in Danville, KY at Centre College, and we saw him walking around about 4 hours before the concert. He was just taking pictures, so we chatted a bit. He doesn't mind at all...this was back when he was just playing solo a year ago.

I posted this Keyboard magazine's forum, but it's a testament to the down-to-earth nature of Ben.

Originally posted by Anderton:

Now that's pretty darn cool! The perfect end to the evening, of course, would have been a car chase...isn't that part of the LA experience these days?

Yes, the car chase usually comes after the gun shots.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Mark, when I visited NYC you were stuck in Rochester. Now when Ben Folds visits Rochester, you'll be stuck in New York. Sometimes life just refuses to cooperate!

Funny. I'm never truly stuck in Rochester. NYC is only one hour and a $100 round trip jetBlue flight away. A few years ago, I flew down the NYC just for a concert (4th row seats for Pat Metheny Group/"Speaking Of Now" tour at the Beacon Theater).

Next time you're in NYC, Geoff, I'll be there. Promise.

Originally posted by platypus:

it's a testament to the down-to-earth nature of Ben.

platypus, I'm glad to read Ben Folds was accessible. It was VC (very cool) that you got to meet him. :cool:

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

the car chase usually comes after the gun shots.

Yes Ken, I believe that is the proper order, according to Miss Manners. It's very important to do these things in a civilized way! ;)

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Next time you're in NYC, Geoff, I'll be there. Promise.

Thanks Mark, I'll look forward to it then! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Phil, I remember your "Rockin' The Suburbs" sig line. I thought you might be interested.

I just thought that was one of the most amazing "gotcha" songs, and it happened to line up perfectly with my job description, so yes, I ran with it. ;)

I do enjoy Ben's work though - he's a very talented cat. :cool: I'm glad you got the chance to see him in such a cool and unexpected way. :thu:

Archived