Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig Anderton - please

about your review of the CME UF8 USB contoller keyboards in the april 2005 issue of keyboard.

do these boards send release velocity information or not?

believe it or not, some people base buying decisions on capabilities like this.

reviewers always seem to ignore it (maybe they don't know or care), but isn't this the kind of info that should be in a review.

oh well, i guess i'll wait till the local store gets one so i can check it out myself.

i would have put this in the keyboard forum, but don't know if you check in there (or here, for that matter).

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
believe it or not, some people base buying decisions on capabilities like this.

reviewers always seem to ignore it (maybe they don't know or care), but isn't this the kind of info that should be in a review.

Type in "CME UF8" into Google, and click on the very first link:

Velocity Sensitive - with four preset velocity curves
The specs weren't in the review as a sidebar?

"For instance" is not proof.

you mean like this, of course:

http://www.arbitermt.co.uk/cme/cme_specifications.htm

'velocity' is not 'release velocity' and there's no mention of it in either the review or the site's specs.

and as weird as it seems, many manufacturers whose boards are capable don't include this information in the specs.

one example: my kurzweil k2600 most definitely has release velocity, and here are the specs from kurzweil's site:

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/products.html?Id=351

no mention of it that i can see.

It does NOT offer release velocity. Generally in reviews I mention what something has rather than what it doesn't, especially if a feature isn't common (and release velocity remains fairly rare). But maybe I should add "release velocity" to the list of "things to mention if they're absent."

thanks for the info - i can scratch that one off my list.

priorities differ, but if a keyboard didn't have any keys, audio outs, mod wheels, levers, or foot pedal jacks, you'd probably mention a slight lack there.

craig - this was not just for you, but for reviewers and manufacturers in general.

if a board has mono/channel pressure, it'll usually get mentioned and you can be pretty sure that it will lack polypressure.

but if a board has velocity, there is no way to know if it also has release velocity unless it is explicitely stated.

thanks again for your response.

Mildbill, my apologies...I midread your initial post.

I think because so few boards, as Craig mentions, have it, it justifies not mentioning it unless it exists.

Is it that the release phase of an envelope is longer with a slower release velocity?
It can be reassigned to most any parameter limited only to the capabilities of the sound source, but you mention the most common function. Great with string section samples.

Apart from the venerable Kurzweil MIDIboard, can someone list all the keyboard controllers that have had release velocity?

Originally posted by dahkter:

Isn't that the same as aftertouch?

Nope. Aftertouch is generated when you press down harder on the key after the initial note-on/velocity info is generated. Release velocity measures how quickly you completely let up on the key.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of getting the CME UF6 with the FireWire audio/MIDI expander board. Does anyone know if both the audio and MIDI are sent through the FireWire connection of the optional expander board (using just one FireWire cable) to the computer? I'm hoping that is the case, and not just FireWire for the audio and USB for MIDI (using a separate cable for each). I read Craig's review in Keyboard, but he didn't mention anything about this.

Is it also true that the aftertouch won't work when the unit is USB powered, but only with the power adapter?

Originally posted by Ed A.:

Is it also true that the aftertouch won't work when the unit is USB powered, but only with the power adapter?

It's true. I would thoroughly read the manual and pricing on these before buying.

The manual is available online, so it's easy to do just that.

FYI the firewire expander wasn't available when I wrote the review...if you check it out, let us know what you think.

As to USB vs. AC adapter, I really don't see any advantage to powering a master controller like CME solely from USB. It's not like you're going to use it with a laptop, and there's no point in stressing out the USB bus if you don't need to. I even power my Oxygen8 from the AC adapter.

Priorities differ, but if a keyboard didn't have any keys, audio outs, mod wheels, levers, or foot pedal jacks, you'd probably mention a slight lack there.

Sure... but OTOH, keys, sustain pedal jacks, mod wheels and the like are fairly common and typical on keyboards, while release velocity transmission is pretty darned rare... and really, it's hard enough to cover everything that a product DOES have in a few hundred (or even a thousand) words without having to get into rare features that it lacks. :)

In other words, as a reviewer, if I see that a product doesn't have "standard and expected features for a product of its type and in its price class", I'll most definitely mention it... and if it has unexpected and cool features that sets it apart (such as release velocity), I'll definitely mention those too... but I don't really think it's fair to expect a reviewer to cover every possible feature and say... nope, doesn't have this, it lacks that, etc... because we'd have very little (or no) space left to cover what the product actually does have, what it does and how it sounds. :)

FWIW, I like release velocity, and I do wish that more keyboards offered that feature, but very few do... but my old ESQ-1 does. :)

Archived