Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I would like to see a remake of "The Shining"

I never really thought about this before but after watching "The Shining" again recently, I realized how cool it would be if maybe....David Lynch directed it. I think he could make it even more disturbing. Of course I loved the original but Stanely's use of sound fx were a bit too much and too loud at times. Anyone else a little annoyed but his use of sound design?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody could take Nicholson's place. He MADE the movie in my opinion. It wouldn't have been, or will be the same without him.

I thought the sound was a good fit for the movie.

One guy who gets annoying with the ambient music is Paul Thomas Anderson (Hard Eight, Magnolia, Boogie Nights). I love his movies, but the sound is distracting and annoying.

Amateur Hack

I think he could make it even more disturbing. Of course I loved the original but Stanely's use of sound fx were a bit too much and too loud at times.
Yeah well Lynch may be able to make it more disturbing, which I doubt but will it be as scary. The abnormal SFX is what gives the peculiar sense of fear. The shining is hard to top, if not impossible. I doubt a remake would even come close.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Lynch is brilliant, but I don't think he could come close to topping Kubrick's version. That film was just great. Everyone talks about Nicholson, but what about Shelly Duval? She was perfect for that part. The little kid was great. Scatman Crothers! Who's gonna play his part? And who could forget those twin girls? That scene in the hallway is still the most bone chilling part of the film. You could NEVER redo that with the same affect.

Plus Wendy Carlos did the music, and it flows so well with the long slow camera movments that Kubrick loves to do.

No way, man. That film is a masterpiece.

Something you might be interested in knowing, however; Lynch was originally asked by George Lucas to direct 'Return of the Jedi', but due to some contractual issues or something, Lynch couldn't do it. Can you imagine how cool that film would have been had Lynch has the director's seat?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

"The Shining" is one of my top 10 favorite movies. Nicholson Duvall and Crothers are all outstanding.

I read somewhere that Kubrick would do 40+ takes of a scene to really get the frustration levels boiling over, which helped to bring out the cabin fever feel of the movie.

Stephen King hated it, he felt that Kubrick took too many liberties with the story. His made for TV remake with Steven Weber and Rebecca De Mornay was closer to the book, though not nearly as good as Kubrick's version.

"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Why mess with a good thing?

Anyone see the Gus Van Sant remake of "Psycho" a couple of years back? Even though Van Sant got the technical details down, it was mediocre at best.

I don't understand why anyone would want to copy something when the original exists and is already excellent.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Super 8:

Something you might be interested in knowing, however; Lynch was originally asked by George Lucas to direct 'Return of the Jedi', but due to some contractual issues or something, Lynch couldn't do it. Can you imagine how cool that film would have been had Lynch has the director's seat?

I heard that too. but I thought he was asked to do Star Wars but instead did Dune. Anyway, that would have been really messed up. I guess I wish more movies were like "The Shining"...if not a remake, I agree that someone needs to make a film that is as good in it's own way.

It would be a totally different film if someone other than Kubrick directed. All those Kubrickian trademarks... the long hallway shots, the almost subliminal quick cuts in key places. It would have been a totally different movie if any other director took it on.

Have you ever read the original Steven King book, Ryst? You can make your own little mind movie while you read it, if you can even do it without thinking of Nicholson et al.

- Jeff

There was a cable thing about Kubrick's career with behing the scenes clips from The Shining. Stanley made Duvall feel very uncomfortable during the shoot. He got what he wanted from her, but she seemed really pissed about his method.

Jeff is right regarding the book - Stephen King IMO is much underrated for his writing. The Shining aside, movie versions of his books tend to unfairly stain King's reputation.

His book 'It' for example is absolutely superb, but the movie is an abomination. Yet most people will associate the crap movie with Stephen King.

BTW, for those of you who write, his book 'On Writing' is fascinating.

I remember really enjoying "The Shining" when it came out. Some hilarious moments and, ultimately, a nicely chilling (and darkly sardonic) portrait of a descent into madness.

Has anyone beside me ever wondered if at leas a bit of "The Shining" was inspired by the Dick Van Dyke Show episode "A Farewell to Writing"?*

In that episode, Rob is spurred to pick up his book manuscript when an old pal gets his own novel published. The old pal loans Rob his rustic cabin where Rob can finally get back to work on his book but he develops an instant but killer case of writer's block. As I recall he even types "Now is the time..." or "The quick brown fox..." over and over and spends hours building a big waste basket to hold the crumpled up rejected first pages.

He gets so buggy that he terrifies the local handyman when he tries to engage him in conversation. (The handyman goes out to his truck to "get his bottle" and Rob starts relishing having some company -- until he hears the engine start and the truck zoom off.)

Every time I see that episode, I become more convinced that it must have been at least part of King's inspiration...

*Not to be confused with "THE GHOST OF A. CHANTZ" episode where Rob, Laura, Buddy & Sally check into a haunted cabin but it turns out to be a pilot for a Candid Camera-type show.

I mostly share Mats' disdain for movie remakes. There are a few exceptions, of course. I thought the 80's Nosferatu was pretty fine.

But I do think it's often fascinating to watch different movie versions that draw from 'outside' source material, like books and plays. It's great, for instance, to compare different movie versions of the play, "The Front Page" -- the 1931 and 1973 versions -- and, of course, the substantially [but charmingly] re-written Howard Hawks version called "His Girl Friday."

A much more mixed bag, but nonetheless fascinating set of movies are those based on the books of Dashiel Hammet and Ray Chandler. Everyone from Robert Altman ("The Long Goodbye") to Akira Kurasawa ("Yojimbo" mirrors the plot of Hammet's "Red Harvest" with a bit of "The Glass Key" thrown in on the side.)

[back on the movie front... I've always felt like "Rollerball" owed a whole heckuva lot to the early 60's rugby film, "This Sporting Life" by Lindsay Anderson, with a young and rugged Richard Harris in the featured role.]

Kubrick's version was good as a movie stand-alone. But I watched it after having read the book and so was very disappointed. I thought the television remake was much better, though it was certainly less "atmospheric".

Stephen King is a truly great author, one of my faves. But he has always, with few exception, gotten crap treatment from movies.When he started getting more control/involvment over the movie production they became much better representations of his books.

Furthermore, I feel that the length and complexity of his stories, whach are often 800-1000+ pages in length, fare much better in a "miniseries" format than in movies. For example "The Stand","The Tommyknockers" and most recently "Salem's Lot" (especially when you compare it to the original movie starring David Soul :rolleyes: )were all quite good.

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I have to mirror basshappi's statement. I read the book, then watched the movie. Although the performances were great, I was disappointed that the movie left so much out. I realize that to keep a movie from being six hours long you have to cut parts of the story , but the movie didn't seem complete with the deleted sections from the book.

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

I read the book first too and I still like the movie a lot. I always felt that Kubrick made the film for people who had read the book. There are parts of the film that don't even make sense without having read the book I think.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by basshappi:

Kubrick's version was good as a movie stand-alone. But I watched it after having read the book and so was very disappointed. I thought the television remake was much better, though it was certainly less "atmospheric".

Stephen King is a truly great author, one of my faves. But he has always, with few exception, gotten crap treatment from movies.When he started getting more control/involvment over the movie production they became much better representations of his books.

Furthermore, I feel that the length and complexity of his stories, whach are often 800-1000+ pages in length, fare much better in a "miniseries" format than in movies. For example "The Stand","The Tommyknockers" and most recently "Salem's Lot" (especially when you compare it to the original movie starring David Soul :rolleyes: )were all quite good.

Cheers

I also thought the television miniseries with Rebecca Demornay and Steven Weber? was a much better, in depth, character study, than the movie with Nicholson. I thought it was great. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of The Kubrick version, but it does have great acting, and a lot more story development than Kubrick's version, which of course it would... having the extra time frame of a miniseries to work with. It's almost impossible to squeeze a whole novel into a two hour movie, with the extra time of a miniseries the story and characters were much more fully developed.

The TV version is an excellent adaptation of the book, highly recommended.

Archived