Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

words that have lost their meaning......

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Originally posted by ryst:

I LOVE this thread. I think it's AMAZING.

HONESTLY, I think that the THE thread is going to EFFECT people in a positive way. And if it doesn't, then THAT SUCKS. ;)

Phil, go do what you do best....being a "gay, rock and roll, recording engineer"

:D

Hey, what do I know? I'm just a RECORDING ENGINEER! ;)

Actually, I am... does this thread mean I can't refer to myself as such anymore? :confused:;)

Better to be a Gay Fitness Guru. They get all the chicks...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a writer/editor, here are words I almost always have to replace when I see them in something I am working on. They are so overused as to have no meaning and to need replacement by more specific synonyms:

"nice"

"good"

Some of what is described in above posts is failed usage ("effect" or "affect," etc.). Here's a turn of phrase one that's used often but is meaningless:

"very unique"

Um, can you be "almost pregnant"? No. Either you are or you aren't. Same with "unique." That means "one of a kind." However, qualifying unique has happened so much that common usage is battering language on this issue and I think it's actually becoming acceptable.

Word geeks like myself actually get excited when new editions of Merriam-Webster's dictionary and Chicago Manual of Style come out, to see the evolution of language based on usage. Yeah, I know. It's not a fetish that translates to the masses ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by geekgurl:

Word geeks like myself actually get excited when new editions of Merriam-Webster's dictionary and Chicago Manual of Style come out, to see the evolution of language based on usage. Yeah, I know. It's not a fetish that translates to the masses ...

In this house, we get hot and heavy over new editions of The Gregg Reference Manual and The AP Stylebook, in addition to the fine tomes you mention above. :freak::eek::D:thu:

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by ryst:

PS DUDE, I'm not GAY (nttawwt), I'm just, LIKE, really happy. :)

Phil...what I meant to say was.......go do what you do best....being a "gay :freak: (audio expert)"

:)

I know Ryst. :) I was just trying to be clever and toss a couple more words in, such as "like" and "dude." :)

I seem to recall watching a news report one time (Dateline, I think) that investigated the marketing usage of the word "hypoallergenic". The report basically debunked this word as merely a marketing plow, that manufacturers had no scientific basis for the use of this word pertaining to their product (which, for the record, are primarily cosmetic/health and beauty products). There was no regulations stating what can be considered hypoallergenic or not.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by aeon:

Originally posted by geekgurl:

In this house, we get hot and heavy over new editions of The Gregg Reference Manual and The AP Stylebook, in addition to the fine tomes you mention above. :freak::eek::D:thu:

cheers,

aeon

I felt the same way when I picked up the latest Little, Brown Compact Handbook!

:)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Language evolves constantly. Trendy overuse of some expressions renders them meaningless, like saying "Love you" at the end of every conversation (one of my current pet peeves). I enjoyed Chaucer class in college because his arcane uses for words drove me to think of them as pictures. Great wordsmiths push the boundaries of meaning; poets weave sound and meaning together. If you have an interest in strong message and impact (ooh, there's one of the taboo expressions), pick up a copy of The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. It changed the way I look at writing.

Corporate diction bears some of the worst fruit of hackenyed and muddled meaning. Dilbert has some of this down so well, I can visualize the gist of those cartoon meetings appearing in serious memos at any number of businesses.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Alert to those with an interest in software updates and site maintenance: the "back" arrow causes double posts to slip from the grasp of stodgy geekophobes like me. Chastised but still tryin'.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Here are a few.

"as a matter of fact"

"take it easy"

"shake a leg"

"give me a hand"

"bad" is now good, but after the Michael Jackson trial bad may be bad again!

"insane" drumming is good but if you're just plain insane that is bad.

"radical" is also sometimes used for good.

"numbskull"

"dimwit"

There are a few to "chew on"

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

OH YA one more. "SALE" . Every store is now having a SALE every day!!!!

record (the noun) - it's still a recording, but it's not a real vinyl record anymore

incredible - means unbelievable

healthy (as in a healthy meal) - if your meal is "healthy," it's still alive. Salad and lean meats are healthful, not healthy.

myself - indicates a reflexive verb (I injured myself) not a more polite way of saying "me" (please talk to Julie or myself if you have any questions). It is impossible for someone else to talk to yourself. Only YOU can do this.

conservative (as in fiscally frugal politicians)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

record (the noun) - it's still a recording, but it's not a real vinyl record anymore

incredible - means unbelievable

healthy (as in a healthy meal) - if your meal is "healthy," it's still alive. Salad and lean meats are healthful, not healthy.

myself - indicates a reflexive verb (I injured myself) not a more polite way of saying "me" (please talk to Julie or myself if you have any questions). It is impossible for someone else to talk to yourself. Only YOU can do this.

conservative (as in fiscally frugal politicians)

Dan,

you forgot one. liberal :)

Originally posted by henrysb3:

... If you have an interest in strong message and impact (ooh, there's one of the taboo expressions), ...

Impact, ugh, me no likey when used as verb.

[how's that for an annoying sentence? :thu: ]

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

For some reason, one of my friends has a huge aversion to the word squirt. I don't really know why...but it's funny to torment her about it :D:D:evil:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

Medium (as in food size)

Actually, it's "small" that's disappeared.

Regarding "hypoallergenic"...I'm wondering (notice how everything these days is "immediate state of being? "I'm thinking" rather than "I think")...Anywhat, tangentially I wonder if there might be a market for some hyperallergenic cosmetics...

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

For some reason, one of my friends has a huge aversion to the word squirt. I don't really know why...but it's funny to torment her about it :D:D:evil:

Cheers!

Spencer

That was once the name of a popular soft drink..."Hey, wanna glass of Squirt?"

They still sell Squirt out here in California. I like it. And it's also a nickname that used to be used by some people... as in a older brother talking to his younger sister - "hey squirt, be careful on your bike". Maybe your friend used to be called "squirt", and doesn't like it because of that.

vibrato and tremelo

Vibrato is a modulation of frequency. (The note sounds sharp then flat repeatedly or vice versa.)

Tremelo is a similar cycling, but of amplitude, perceived as volume change.

Yet for 40+ years Fender amps have featured, "vibrato" circuits that modulate signal amplitude and guitars have featured a variety of "tremelo bars" that allow players to modulate frequency. :freak::mad:

Marketing... :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived