Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential Albums For Audio Professionals.

Hi

This is hopefully going to turn into a decent recommendations thread for everyone. Sorry if I'm just recycling old ideas here.

I'm in the mood for listening to some classic albums and expanding my CD collection. I'm a budding young engineer and like to listen and learn. I like to analyze songs - the sounds of the instruments used, the structure, the mix & production etc.

What would you all say are the absolute essential albums that I should listen to?

Don't worry about the style of the music. Absolutely everything is fair game. Of course there will be some obvious choices but don't worry, throw them in.

Also, who's Greatest Hits or Best Ofs should be owned by everyone who doesn't own the individual albums?

Thanks in advance

John Scott

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, there's so many. . . . .

The obvious:

Beatles "Sgt. Peppers"

Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"

The Who "Who's Next"

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall"

Michael Jackson "Thriller"

Coldplay "A Rush of Blood To The Head"

U2 "Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby"

Nine Inch Nails "Downward Spiral"

Dr. Dre "Chronic"

Led Zepplin "IV"

Hendrix "Electric Ladyland"

Not so obvious but great recordings:

Jill Scott "Who is Jill Scott"

Samuel Barber "Adagio for Strings, Op. 11/Orchestral Music" conducted by Leonard Slatkin

Bryan Ferry "Mamouna"

Quincy Jones "Q's Jook Joint" & "Back on the Block"

Bjork "Homogenic" and "Post"

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Thanks, I'm doing pretty well so far, I have about 3/4 of the albums listed.

I should add, it would be good if you could give a brief explanation as to why you think these albums are essential, especially the less obvious ones.

Thanks.

Loreena McKennitt, "Book of Secrets" recorded at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studio, this cd was 1 year in the making, and contains songs and sounds from many different unusual instruments, and top shelf performers. The songs are based on travel writing of Ms.McKennitt from all over, with many tales, stories, and songs of celebration, sadness, love, and even contains some recordings of Russian Monks chanting. It's a true work of art, and a completely refreshing display of fine musicianship and vocal accomplishment.

When I first bought this cd, I brought it home and listened to it, in it's entirity three times the first night I had it. That's very unusual for me. A couple weeks later, I traveled from Cleveland to Toronto, to see it performed live in concert at a sold out Massey Hall, and was totally knocked out by the performance, as was everyone else who was there. The whole evening was one standing ovation after the next, but yet other than the "Mummer's Dance" song, the cd got very little airplay in the U.S.

I'd have to say "The Book Of Secrets", is a must have.

For more info and samples, goto....

http://www.quinlanroad.com/explorethemusic/bookofsecrets.asp

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Some that come to mind straight of....

- Stuff from the Chesky Catalogue - Rebecca Pigeon, Sara K.....all Immaculate recordings

- Joe Satriani's self titles album (feat. Nathan East & Manu Katche - excellent recording again

- MJ - Thriller

- Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

- Journey

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

I think Fleetwood Mac's 'Mirage' is just absolutely one of the best sounding albums ever. Arrangements, tones, performance...

Check out some Ricky Skaggs, like 'Waiting for the Sun to Shine' for unbelieveable acoustic recordings.

Check Bruce Cockburn's 'Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws.' This one and 'Bellybutton' by Jellyfish were recommended to me by this cat I met in Scotland and man was he right on. Two of my fav albums. (got that Spilt Milk from other's advice but it sounds like they're trying to be Queen. Maybe it'll grow on me but Bellybutton smokes it.)

I say 'Abbey Road' from the Beatles. Best tones and mixes to my ear.

Spike, the Beloved Entertainer by Elvis C. Oh man the tones and space in that recording!

For dance stuff check a Was (Not Was) album like

'What Up Dog?' Relentless beats and sounds great over a live sound system.

Some of the best tones and songwriting I've heard were on McCartney's 'Tug of War' and 'Pipes of Peace.'

And for raw agressive emotion, there is no better album than 'Plastic Ono Band' by Lennon. Nothing fancy but the feel shines through in spades.

I'll think of some more but I've been trying to think of things that haven't been mentioned over and over...

John, did you get A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step" yet? If you recall, I told you to run out and buy that one several months ago. I've been listening to it a lot lately, and it never ceases to amaze me. It's a brilliant-sounding album, recorded at the band's own studio, and mixed by Andy Wallace. Not exactly a classic (yet), but WELL worth the full retail price. The bass, oh, the BASS!!!

Also, you need to own "SMiLE" if you don't already. That record is really a pleasure to listen to, on many levels.

:thu:

Classics

Catch a Fire - Bob Marley and the Wailers

Whats Goin On - Marvin Gaye

In a Silent Way - Miles

Eat a Peach - Allman Bro's

Overnight Sensation - Uncle Frank

Mothership Connection - Parliament

Not so classic but very well produced.

Teatro - Willie Nelson

The Intercontinentals - Bill Frisell

The Bends - Radiohead

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

"Aja" and "Everything Must Go", Steely Dan. To my ears, the best albums made, on so many levels, not the least the recording/mastering.

Peter Gabriel's studio was mentioned, but not his albums, you can't go wrong with any of them.

"Joshua Judges Ruth", Lyle Lovett

"Pirates", Rickie Lee Jones. A masterpiece!

You should have at least one Def Leppard album by Mutt, guess "Pyromania" is the benchmark.

Thanks for starting this thread, there's already two CDs I've written down to go acquire myself!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Consider the American Recordings done by Rick Rubin, Johnny Cash. Gives me goosebumps. Also, the Jack White (White Stripes) produced Loretta Lynn album. Because it's up for a boatload of awards. And like, Cash's rootsy American recordings, quite sparse. I like sparse. As well as very heavy production.

I don't know if this qualifies for this group but all I can say is Eva Cassidy had the most amazing voice I've ever heard and the arrangements were very sparse but beautifully done. As for mixing and production on all this stuff, I dunno, that's not my bag. I think it is Songbird album, the one with Over The Rainbow on it. Whatever they did, they did well. That record can bring tears to my eyes it's so damn good. Over the Rainbow, just guitar, oboe, maybe some strings. Wow!

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

For more folk-ish rock sounds, I'd have to recommend the last three Mark Knopfler cd's. They still are the benchmark for a number of acoustic sounds when I do a folk session. Chuck Ainlay at his finest :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I would add Rush's "Moving Pictures" to the collection. It's a very dense, yet somehow clear, record; Lifeson's guitars really standout--not from the mix so much but rather in sonic quality. Very layered, rich.

For cinematic depth, nothing really beats Pat Metheny's "Still Life/Talking" and "We Live Here" records (as well as just about anything of his released in between). Of interest, too, is his "American Garage" album...a fine example of getting great sounds out of instruments not normally attributed to them (Vistalite drums, for example).

I used to us Bad Company's "Burning Sky" single as a benchmark for car stereo installation, and later, for mix comparison. Simon Kirk's kick drum is simply amazing on that tune, and if you can feel it through the back of the drivers' seat while sitting in the car, you've done your job.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by DC:

[QB I say 'Abbey Road' from the Beatles. Best tones and mixes to my ear.

[/QB]

I'll second that. I've always loved that album but haven't listened to it a long while. So I went and bought it 2 weeks ago and it's been in my car CD player the whole time. The sounds stand up to (surpass) today's standards. Abbey Road is a text book of unique and inventive guitar tones. I'm going to start using it as my, "Let's do a part that sounds like this" album. :thu:

Also...

I find AC/DC's Back In Black mentioned a lot but I prefer Highway to Hell . I like the power Mutt Lange gets with seemingly smaller less overkill type sounds. Very natural but still kicks my ass.

Miles Davis' Kind of Blue . This will open your ears to a totally different esthetic.

Get one of " The Band's" Best of ... CD's. They had a way of being busy in a very unselfish way. All for the vibe and groove.

Also...

Get a Bob Dylan best of ... I like Biograph. I used to hate Dylan. He grows on you like a fungus.

Oh, and one more. Neil Young's Harvest . Garage Folk! Trashy and sensitive all at once. Pretty hip.

Originally posted by offramp:

Of interest, too, is his "American Garage" album...a fine example of getting great sounds out of instruments not normally attributed to them (Vistalite drums, for example).

Hey Offramp, do you feel the cymbals in this and many of Pat's earlier recordings are way too "sizzlie"? I know its an aesthetic choice but I don't think I could listen to it very long without getting a headache (great album nonetheless).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Brian Eno's Before and After Science.

I was listening to this 1977 album recently and realized it sounded like it was recorded the day before yesterday.

I saw Miles on at least one list above and that brings to mind the great recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder, who tracked so very many of the greatest jazz albums of the 50's. (That said, I've had less than great luck with the RVG reissue series. Many of the remasters sound overbright, as though the great one's ears had faded and the underlings were too faint of heart to mention it.)

Rudy Van Gelder: one of the greats, for sure!

Columbus Jazz Orchestra-Best of 25 Years -this is a great album, plus it is a perfect example of the proper use dynamics. It's also a great example of direct to 2-track recording.

It's one of the best sounding albums I have.

Most anything else I would mention would be of the underground variety and would only be beneficial to somebody who be be into that sort of thing, or working with bands who are.

Just for kicks, I'll add Kyuss-(any album)...it doesn't get any heavier than this, in terms of heavy production. Maximum density.

It's a matter of taste, but I personally think that blues were never recorded any better than they were by Chess Records. Pick up Howlin' Wolf's "Howlin Wolf/Moanin at Midnight" - today's blues producers tend to isolate things too much and the drums are too loud in the mix.

While we're talking about classic sounds and greatest hits collections, try Buddy Holly's "From the Original Tapes" - the production is clean and innovative/imaginative (especially for the time) and Holly's guitar tone is terrific.

As far as modern production goes, I'm consistently impressed by the sound of Chris Isaak's records.

Originally posted by robmix:

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall"

Good choices. But I'd replace 'Dark Side' with 'Animals'. Dark Side sounds great, but I thik Animals sounds even better. It's like Dark Side perfected.

Bryan Ferry "Mamouna"

That is a really good sounding album. It's a shame that not all of the material measures up to it's sonic quality. Bryan took a break during 'Mamouna' to record 'Taxi', which is pretty much all cover songs, but REALLY UNIQUE versions of them. It's basically all the same people as on 'Mamouna', but the songs really shine. I don't know if Eno was involved on 'Taxi' or not.

And of course, the best sounding Roxy Music album, and a MUST HAVE for audio professionals would have to be "Avalon". You can listen to that album ten times, and hear something new each time. It's a joy to listen to.

Originally posted by offramp:

I would add Rush's "Moving Pictures" to the collection. It's a very dense, yet somehow clear, record; Lifeson's guitars really standout--not from the mix so much but rather in sonic quality. Very layered, rich.

That's odd! I was literally just thinking the same thing, and right then I started reading your posts. Far out.

Yeah! Great album. I'd like to add "Permanent Waves" to that list as well.

I'll add "Awaken" by Yes off of the "Going For the One" album. The album is hit and miss -in my opinion, but that one song is simply incredible. And since it's 20 minutes long, it's well worth puchasing the album just to have.

Oh! And also

"I'm Not in Love" by 10cc! See my thread on that one... :thu:

How about "Spirit of Eden" by Talk Talk?

Anybody here have any opinions on that album that they'd like to share?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Ahh, how could I forget Peter Gabriel - So, US and UP. Sonic excellence, great experimentation without getting in the way of the songs and incredible musicians.

And of course Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" - it really gets no better.

Phil, I recently checked out the Cars again and I was surprised how bright the mixes were. It wasn't as enjoyable to listen to as I remembered. Kinda sad.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

I thought nobody would mention 'So' by Peter Gabriël, but finally Rob did. A really outstanding soundquality.

For orchestral recordings I use Bill Putnam's Frank Sinatra recordings as a reference.

Jamie Cullum's 'Twenty something' sounds pretty good as well.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Archived